100 gr 6.5mm Partition on Elk

GSSP

Beginner
Aug 11, 2005
I happen to have about 300 of these I picked up at the ProShop for a song. They give excellent accuracy in my 6.5x47 running 3325 fps, 18 es, 7 sd and 5-shots within 1 MOA. Would you use them on elk? If so, under what parameters?

Thanks,

Alan

They've been killed with a lot less! I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Wouldn't be my first choice, but should be quite adequate I would think.

I agree, if you are taking solid rib shots on elk and not trying to drive them through big bones, I think you would have the same outcome as others that use a 25-06 on elk. It wouldn't be my first choice for elk, but I wouldn't stay at home either, if that was all I had.

...honestly, "No"...

...elk season's not that imminent, you've got plenty of time to work up a more suitable load. Light bullets/ heavy game is a recipe for disaster. Save the 100gr. NPT's for deer & antelope, unless you have no other recourse. Then limit yourself to "high probability" shots where you, your rifle, & the bullet will to perform to deliver a cold bore shot w/ sufficient energy in the proper place to insure you stand a more than reasonable chance of recovering the game. If you haven't already put 10 cold bore shots into a paper plate kneeling @ 300yds., then the first time you have to do it probably isn't a "high probability shot". As the range increases the difficulty of recovery increases, exponentially. Have every recognizable feature surrounding the game burned into your brain so you can find where it was actually standing, know what direction it went, where it probably headed. A wounded elk crashing thru the brush w/ 30-40 other elk doesn't leave much of a blood trail. Best of luck...

I would say use at least the 125 gr. NPT. Save those for antelope or deer. However, I would also look to the heavier 130 AB or even the 140 NPT would be much better, should you be offered nothing but hard shoulder placement.
They may do ok, but for me it's not will work, but what will work reliabily when things might not go as desired. Hence, hope for the best but plan for the worst. Another rule of thumb I go by, is when caliber drops below .30, go heavier in bullet weight. At least then momentum picks up the slack when raw engergy is less. Quite honestly, anything less than a SD of .260 for Elk is for .30 caliber and above. And with that, .30 caliber is just barely adequate. Just my opinions.

Personally, I would go bigger. You have the right type of bullet for sure, but for elk, I would go bigger. If you don't want to go with the 140 AB, I would really look hard at the 130 AB, or 125 PT. I know a local gal that shoots a 260, and I think she shoots 125 PTs. She flattens everything she shoots at, but she is a bit of a local legend for her markswomanship skills.

The 6.mm 100 gr PT has a SD of .205, pretty low for elk sized game. I would go with the 125 gr PT, it has a SD of .256 to ensure penetration.

JD338

I had a friend who used the 100 gr Partitions for shooting Georgia whitetail deer in a 6.5x55 Mauser conversion. These bullets were not particularly fast killers on deer unless the shot was really well placed.

I had a 6.5x55 CZ and used the 125 gr Partitions in it. I am not a small caliber rifle fan for elk and a 6.5x47 would not be my choice for elk. However, the 125 grain would be a much better round for penetration and it hits a little harder as well.

Back