120 BT out of the 7-30 waters

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Just picked up a Thompson Contender in 7-30 Waters, 14" barrel. Decided to handload for it since I have had the dies for several years.

Anyway I thought the 120 BT's might be just the ticket for this cartridge. But when I go to load it to SAMMI I can't do it a/c if I did the Ogive would be past the mouth of the cartridge. By the way, I am going to try Re-15 from 35-37 grains unless some of you have better ideas.

Back to the topic: Have any of you faced this situation with OAL? I can load longer and the cartridge still fits the chamber ok, but never ran into this before.

Thanks,

Long

Long,

Congratulations on your 7-30 Waters. AS you remember, fun gun to shoot. I hace a Contender with a 14" SS factory barrel and a Nikon 2.5x8 Scope.

The most accurate load I found in my T/C is:

120 gr BT
34.5 grs Varget
Federal GM210M primer
Federal case
COL 2.864"
Best 3 shot group at 100 yds measured .225"
Muzzel flash is veiwable in the shade even in July and was more than I cared for.

I setteled on this load:

120 gr BT
35.0 grs RL15
Federal GM210M primer
Federal case
COL 2.864"
Best 3 shot group at 100 yds measured .7"

As you know, start low and work up.
Hope this helps you out.

JD338

Thanks JD. It will get me on the right path. Looks like you load quite a bit longer than the 2.55 SAAMI. That is good to know.

Long

Long,

I load to the specific gun I am shooting. I always try to get close to the lands but sometimes you are limited to the magazine length.
The T/C Contender is a single shot so you can load .015-.020" off the lands.

Are you going to scope your Contender?

JD338

the waters was originally designed to shhot flat point exposed lead bullets which are much shorter. If you want to get a little more O.A.L. you might want to get it throated but than the short bullets will have a bigger jump

My favorite load for the 7-30 Waters in the T/C is the 140 gr. BT with 34.0 gr. of Win. 748, Rem. brass, and a Fed. 210 primer. I have had no problem seating this bullet 0.030" from the lands. I use the 12" Hunter barrel. This is a great antelope load. I have found that the 120 gr. BT is a little too explosive for me.

JD, Yeh I am a big fan of scopes. This one came with a Bushnell 2x6. Registered it today, the local police could not figure out how to register just the frame with no barrel length or caliber. Kept hearing them talking about "how do you register 1/2 a gun?" Anyway it is now registered.

Dale, I am surprised that the 7-30 has too much velocity for the 120 BT? I figured it would be the perfect bullet for the velocities anticipated.

Long

longwinters":70ikb2ub said:
JD, Yeh I am a big fan of scopes. This one came with a Bushnell 2x6. Registered it today, the local police could not figure out how to register just the frame with no barrel length or caliber. Kept hearing them talking about "how do you register 1/2 a gun?" Anyway it is now registered.
Long

Larry,

I went through the same thing but in the end, they caved in and registered the frame only.
If you register the barrel with the frame, you could get yourself in trouble if you switched barrels.
Glad it all worked out for you. :grin:

JD338

Sorry I am slow getting back. I am remodeling my office and had the computer disassembled.

I started using the 7-30 Waters about 12 years ago. The 120 gr. BT did a lot of damage and gave little penetration on antelope. However, I understand that Nosler changed the construction of the BT bullets soon after that. I found the 140 gr. BT held together better and was just as accurate so I settled on it. I still have 600-700 of the 140 gr. bullets from the same lot, so I have not tried the new BTs in the 7-30. I suppose the only true test would be to go out and shoot a few critters and decide for yourself.

Dale

Went to the range today with Northwoods. Had several different loads to try, all with 120 BT and Re 15.

2 of the loads were very accurate. The best was 5 shots inside an inch @ 100.

Only trouble was that I forgot what I used to do with my left hand, when I shot my other one 6 years ago. My off (left) hand keeps gettin stung on recoil.

By the way thanks for the load info guys. The loads that worked best for me were 35 and 36 grains of Re 15 with Federal 210 primers and the 120 BT's. I was also fireforming 30-30 brass at the same time, so the pistol and the loads were even more impressive to me.

Long

Really IMPRESSIVE TO ME! :shock:

I was spotting for him...when his last two loads went into the same hole at 100yds on a 1" dot that was AWESOME!!!!!

Long,

What load did you end up with for your 7x30 Waters?

JD338

JD,

Just got back from the range, with Northwoods Hunter, and logged the results in my recipe book.

Looks like 120 BT's with 36 gns Reloader 15 and a Fed 210 primer @ 2.80.

Had to do some scope adjustment a/c scope was mounted too far back for me. But with the forearm on a rest and holding the grip unaided I had a 4 shot group at .641 @ 100yds. To be honest though I did have one flyer, called, in the 5 shot group. Some guy brought 4 young boys to the range and they were a distraction from the moment they opened their truck door. I guess I need to concentrate better.

I am still looking for something to do with my non-shooting hand. Boy, my index finger takes a licken on each shot. Good thing that hand has been cut so many times it is partially numb or I would have a flinch. Maybe wearing a glove on that hand will take the bite out.

Next will be figuring out how to best shoot it off of shooting stix.

Thanks for the load help.

Lar

Long,

Sorry for the delay, had some PC "issues" for this web site.

Sounds like you got your load. I know what you mean about the left hand.
I've had mine smacked a few time too. :cry:

Just for grins, try the Varget laod I gave you. Accuracy is unreal, so is the muzzel flash. I am going to give it another thy this year.
I have been having fun with my 6.5 JDJ, time to go back to the 7x30.

Glad things have worked out well for you. Always happy to help. :wink:

JD338

Back