120 Swift A-Frame 25-06 3140FPS

Oldtrader3":2oc4geo5 said:
A-frames are great bullets! Even in 25-06's and .270 Winchesters, they make them kill like a bigger bore. However, I have always had good luck with 120 gr Partitions as well.

I still need to try that one Charlie, but I am betting it would be right there with the A-Frame. I have some on the shelf, along with some loaded 115 PT's. I am not kidding myself that the Swift's are better than the Nosler's, I just wanted to try something different this time around.

I think hand's down, after using both the Partition and A-Frame bullets in my .270 and my 7mm Rem Mag, the A-frames probably penetrate more than the Partition because of the nose design but not by a lot.

Oldtrader3":13fq7xze said:
I think hand's down, after using both the Partition and A-Frame bullets in my .270 and my 7mm Rem Mag, the A-frames probably penetrate more than the Partition because of the nose design but not by a lot.

I might grab something else, in another caliber and try them out. I have my old 7mm Rem Mag that I haven't loaded for in a long time, so I need to start fresh with it. Might try out another Swift bullet for the heck of it.

"Hoping Lori gets to hammer a bear or two with the load to report real world results in a few weeks."

Well yeah. The bear will look much better on the wall than the remnants of plastic milk jugs! :grin:

Enjoy your hunt!

Scotty, the Swift A-Frames really come into their own in the .338 WM, 210 grain bullet. Head to head with the Partitions, it is close but the A-Frames really start show their class in the big bores.

The 140s shoot great out of my 270 wby. Years ago my friend had me up to AK for a bou hunt. I pulled a shot and ran one right through the stomach of a mid morning bou that had a belly full of breakfast. Any other bullet would have made an unbelievable mess but the a frame left a garden hose sized hole that on the offside sort of pulled the contents and left a twisted plug that sealed up the potential problem. The stomach basically came out "whole" without any leakeage. I've never seen anything like that and was sure glad I hadn't hit him with something fragile cause it had all the potential of being one ugly mess.

I'm looking forward to the wife poking one through a deer. They are very good bullets from what I can tell. I imagine they'll do real well on any number of animals. Wanna try some in a few other cartridges.

What powder charge of RL22 did you use?
My best was 120gr Swift A-frame,50grs of Hybrid100, Win mag primer for Ave 3034FPS, ES 16 and SD 6. This gave just about a nickel+ size group with 5 shots and no cooling of the barrel between shots.

Same bulletand 56grs of RL25 gave me 3024FPS, ES25, SD10 and not quit the grouping as above.

Using their 100gr A-Frame and 61grs of RL25 I got 3369FPS, ES 59, SD 22 with 3 shots into one hole and 2 others very close.
Or the 100gr bullet with 51grs of H-414 gave 3207FPS, ES 51, Sd 20 with 2 shots touching and all the others just next to the.
Shooting was off a bean bag in the front and my shoulder at the rear on a bench

I would be interested in the RL22 load you used as I wanted more speed with the 120gr bullet.

Using a discontinued powder I was able to get 2899FPS from my daughters 257Roberts with the 120grA-Frame bullet. So I left my 25-06 at home on our trip to Africa due to only 100FPS more than her 257R. The bullets work as she shot Zebra(only one we recovered the bullet from),Red Hartebeest,Kudu,Impalla(two),Blue Wildebeest, several worthogs all were one shot kills from 150-390 yards.

I will take a look and report back.

That's some great data you have right there too. Those A-Frames are growing on me a little. Pretty neat bullets and their accuracy seems to be very good for such a tough hunting bullet.

Here is the load I used for that 120 A-Frame

WW cases
CCI250 Primers
54.5 grains of RL22
3.130" COAL

3140FPS from my wife's 25-06 with a 24" barrel. Really is a great shooting load. I need to break it out and shoot it a little more. I am glad you had such great success with those bullets, and seeing how they worked in the jugs, I really think they make the smaller bore's look a little bigger..

Back