140 AB's in the 6.5x55 - Working up the load - seating depth

rodell

Handloader
Dec 23, 2013
I've been working up a load for a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55. I wasn't happy with the Nosler Trophy Grade factory ammo, which I sometimes use when I don't have time to develop a load.

I'm using RL22 (MRP) and 140 grain Accubonds. I've had very good luck with the 140 AB on Red Stag, whitetail, blackbuck, fallow deer, etc. I shoot mostly from a Blaser R8, but this Winchester belongs to a friend.

Here is the OCW run with the COAL set at the recommended 3.025". I've decided to move on with the 46.4 grain load and do a seating depth run. The shape of the group would indicate I need to go deeper but I don't want to push it too far. I have eight different lengths loaded and ready, from 3.00" to 3.17". There's no way to approach the lands, the bullet would be outside the case!

44.4 would have been good, too, but I would need to check it for tolerance to pressure changes. I'm thinking 46.4 will give me a little extra push and be a tolerant (enough) load for 200 yard shooting.

It is too bad work gets in the way of this play!

TgtGfx-Top.jpg
TgtGfx-Bottom.jpg

I have seen with two friends that have 6.5x55SE rifles, one a Sako 85 Finnlite & the other a Sauer 202 Elegance, differences in bullet performance that I relate to barrel twist.
The Sako is 1-8 & the Sauer 1-9.5 The Sauer much prefers the 120gn bullet while the Sako is much happier with 140gn.
(that's not to say of course a very decent load couldn't be found with either bullet in both cases)

I understand but am not 100% sure, the Blaser barrel is a 1-12 twist & that I think would indicate lighter weight bullet performance should be the ones working best in such a barrel.

I have reloaded test ammunition for both rifles and the best results were obtained seating the bullet to an OAL of 3.000" & 3.010" - however, the the bullet in the case of the 120gn was a Nosler ballistic tip & in the case of the Sako is 140gn Hornady SST. Also, the propellant used is Vit. N160.

The nett result however with both loads is an average of .6" groups @ 100yds, two satisfied friends, 5 red stags, 7 hinds and smiling faces...with me left impressed with the performance of the cal/cartridge combination - excellent! as you already know. Good luck ATB ET

Blaser lists the 6.5x55 as 1:8.66. It shoots the 140's very well.

I had higher expectation for the Model 70, but I've been spoiled by the Blaser. It shoots well, even the cheap stuff.

I hope the 3.00" and 3.01" shoot well and I can call this one done.

rodell":d606z9xt said:
Blaser lists the 6.5x55 as 1:8.66. It shoots the 140's very well.

With that twist I'm sure it will handle 140's fine.

I made a recent enquiry through a Blaser dealership in the UK and was told all 6.5x55Se barrels were 1-12 twist which I queried & asked to be checked again. It was re-affirmed @ 1-12. Perhaps that's just for a K95. However it seemed an odd twist rate to have so I dropped the idea to have the barrel. ATB

You can measure the twist of your barrel easy. Take your cleaning rod and insert it in the muzzle end of the barrel and push it through to the action. Put a loop jag on and use a tight patch. Pull the tight patch back into the bore a little. Now go to the muzzle end of the barrel and right up against the muzzle use a marking pen to place a dot on your cleaning rod. Now pull on the cleaning rod pulling the tight patch through the bore until your dot on the cleaning rod makes a full rotation back to the same position it was in at the muzzle. Now measure between that dot and the muzzle. If it is 12 inches then you do have a 1 in 12" twist. I have never heard of a twist that fast in a 6.5X55. Usual twist is someplace between 1 in 7 1/2" to 1 in 9". If you have a 1 in 9" twist it usually will not shoot 140 gr bullets very accurately. It will shoot the 130 AccuBond great though. It is also an awesome game bullet. I have a number of Swede Mauser 6.5X55 rifles. One I sported after finding it at a gun show cheep after some Bubba started hacking on it. I have found that Accurate and IMR 4350 powders are really accurate and gets me great velocity from the 29" barrel I left alone. With loads under 46000 CUP for these small ring Mausers I get 3000 fps with 120 Ballistic Tips and a touch over 2800 fps with 140 gr Sierra and Hornadys. Both loads shoot 1/2 MOA and really do a number on white tail deer. I load the COAL 3.050 which is as longs as it can be loaded and work through the magazine. These rifles do have very long throats made for the 160 gr RN bullets. I shoot the 130 AccuBond in my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps and it hammers white tail deer from 50 yards out to, so far 400 yards.

Looking at the targets, I'm not seeing any key-holing which tells me the bullets are going through straight. This should mean the twist rate is good for the bullet weight.

ET - what were you getting for muzzle velocity with the 140's and VV 160? Did you try any other powders?

We tried R22 & H4350 with the 120gn BT's in the Sauer202 but didn't settle into a load with either propellant that delivered good MV. Eventually the Vit. N160 (49.2gns) delivered good groups with some cloverleafing at around 2850/60 fps & average ES of 39fps.
The 140 gn bullets were rather slower between 2550 & 2650 fps I'm sure but I don't have the details any longer.
We didn't chrono anything through the Sako just dropped pretty quickly onto a sub 1/2" MOA load that worked @ 100yds for accuracy right off Joel.

Hi 1shot, I know about measuring the twist, but mine was an enquiry for a new barrel, so not having the barrel to check I had to rely on the info given by the manufacturer via dealership. But thanks anyway & I'm sure the measuring system you noted will benefit anyone that doesn't know how to check their barrel twist rate.
ATB ET

I have Sako 85 stainless hunter and Blaser R8 in 6.5x55 semi weight.
Blaser shoots well both 120 and 140 bullets as Sako 85.
Sako 85 I can take longer COAL 140 like VLD and will shoot them very well. I like deer hunt with 140 AB and 48 gr of Norma MR. Blaser does not take longer cartridges due to the magazine size. My Sako 85 120's do not shoot as well as Blaser? I shoot also 100gr for coyote hunting with good accuracy. Both rifles.
Blaser loves 120 with H4350, IMR 4831,. My 140 AB shoots well with RL22, N560 and Norma MR and H4831sc powder. I use Lapua brass and CCI B2 primers.
It seems to me that Blaser is less powder sensitive as Sako 85.
About the twist for Blaser it is like 1:8.5, I think.
Both rifles can shoot 1/2 inch groups or better if I do my part. Sako 85 is sensitive to overall length of each round.
Velocities : 120 BT, 2850-2875, 140 AB, 2650-2675. These are commercial action market 6.5x55 SE
I would not recommend it for old actions at all. I would start with 42 gr and work up.
I love 140 AB for deer hunting! Great bullet.
Vodek

I hate load development when I have to be careful to not run out of something.

I switched to MRP, and, stayed with the 46.4 grains. As you can see, I should have gone back and done another OCW run. However, I only have 25 140 AB's left and I need them for the hunt! I will not pay the guy on gun broker $1 each. I just won't.

6-5 Seating with analysis 1-6.jpg
6-5 Seating with analysis 7-8.jpg

I have a .8 MOA load (#8), that will do for this hunt. When I get another couple boxes of AB's, I'll take that group and move around. I think the increments I used (.030") were too great. Live and learn.

You can see the Cooper .17 HMR kept me entertained while the barrel cooled between shots.

Very nice! The Swede in a modern rifle is really impressive! Great shooting with both powders. I would imagine nothing will sneak away with those loads.

My loads are with 140 AB:
Brass Lapua powders N560, Norma MRP, H4831sc or RL-22.
The best velocity comes from N560 with 48 gr. It is stiff in my rifles but no problem with pressure at all. Another is Norma MRP the same 48gr. I hunt deer with this one.
COAL is 3.10.
My both rifles are marked 6.5x55 SE and these loads might be too hot in anther rifles.
I get 2650-2675 FPS.
Vodekz

vodekzz, what is your barrel length? I would have expected a little more velocity from 48 grains of MRP - that should be cooking along well above 2700. Can't argue with what works, though!

For Sako 85 it is 22 inch, 2650 FPS

Blaser R8 23 inch, I get close to 2700 FPS with this barrel.

I tested them at temp 50 F

As for the RL22 OCW test, I would call the 45.2grs as your scatter node. So adding 1.5% would put you in your OCW. However, it just doesn't seem to hold very well. I like the 44.4 to 44.8 grs and would say 44.6 as your ocw. Next time out when you have some more 140's try that area. Seems to hold real tight and 44- 44.8 share same poi. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

I just got a chance to try the 140 AccuBond factory seconds in my 6.5x55 Remington 700 Classic. 44.5 grains of Reloader 22 at 3.025 OAL put the
first three shot group put three in 1.5" but a bit low at 100 yards.
a6yjaryq.jpg

Alderman":iuyxdg2v said:
I just got a chance to try the 140 AccuBond factory seconds in my 6.5x55 Remington 700 Classic. 44.5 grains of Reloader 22 at 3.025 OAL put the
first three shot group put three in 1.5" but a bit low at 100 yards.
a6yjaryq.jpg

Very nice.. That's a great rifle and seems like a really workable load.

Whats the twist on the Remington 6.5 Swede Classics?

trailrider121":3ee6ti9k said:
As for the RL22 OCW test, I would call the 45.2grs as your scatter node. So adding 1.5% would put you in your OCW. However, it just doesn't seem to hold very well. I like the 44.4 to 44.8 grs and would say 44.6 as your ocw. Next time out when you have some more 140's try that area. Seems to hold real tight and 44- 44.8 share same poi. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

I ran out of RL-22 so I switched to MRP. I should have run another full OCW but not enough AB's. I went with the 46.4 of MRP because velocity was more important than absolute accuracy for this particular hunt.

When I get more bullets, I will start all over but keep the new seating depth. The component availability shortage is really crimping my fun.

Rodell,

Totally understand. Yeah, popular reloading supplies are scarce, with some stuff floating around. Hope you hammer down on some game, and good luck!

Back