140 Accubond Black Bear

7mm 140 grain Accubonds don't kill anything, even at 7mm-08 velocity!

IMG_3759_zpsfg39lc67.jpg

P

Friends and I have killed lots of black bears with cartridges like the 270,280, 30/06 and 7 Rem Mag. We'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. They are not hard to kill but if the opportunity presents I like hitting them in shoulders to sort of hold them in place if you can.

The bullet on the left is a 140 AB fired at high velocity into the shoulder of a a very big Alberta mule deer buck,likely weighing more than most black bears. Retained weight was 59 gr and the bullet did as much as could be expected of it.

The bullet in the middle is a 140 Bitterroot fired from a 280 Remington,that killed a 300#+ black bear in mid stride with a shot through both lungs. That's not an easy reaction to get with anything as lung shot bears will usually make some tracks.

I bet you'd be fine with the 280 and a 140 AccuBond.

20150214_144040_2.jpg

Bears die easier than deer in my opinion if hit in the lungs. Take out both lungs with the 140 AccuBond and you will not track more than 75 yards I bet.

Good luck on the hunt and please post pictures!!!

Well, all great news, I'm very confident in the 140 AccuBond and no doubts it'l make for good medicine foe bears...But I was at BPS today picking up a few items and those 150 gr partitions somehow jumped off the shelf and landed in my cart..I rushed up a few loads with Superformance powder up to 55 grains. I didn't see any pressure signs, but I'm wondering if somebody can run a QL to estimate the pressure, forgot the tripod for the chrony, so I don't have any idea of velocity. Accuracy was decent, but I think the speed might not be there, I've read superformance is best with light for caliber bullets.

280 Rem
150 NP
22" barrel
CCI 200
55 grain Superformance

Thanks

I don't think Superformance is in QL, but I'd be very interested in how it works.

Back