150 grain ELD-X and 7mm-08

As fragile as the ELD X has been a little slower might not be all that bad. My last two one pounders of Varget have been hotter than normal. Good luck!

kraky1":2wxk81m0 said:
As fragile as the ELD X has been a little slower might not be all that bad. My last two one pounders of Varget have been hotter than normal. Good luck!

Man, with accuracy like that and the BC on those I'd bet it'll still stack up pretty well at distance.

I may have found a really good load in my little Thompson venture 708 with the 162 eld x. It came out surprisingly mild compared to quick load at around 2640. As long of a bullet as they are they do not seem to have a lot of bearing area and don't make as much pressure as one would think . It doesn't bother me in the least bit because it'll perform great at any range ill likely shoot at..... and from the reports I've seen speed is not this bullets friend. Gotta retest my load again.... last time was close to a inch at 200.

Last years' buck was at 534 yards (couldn't get closer, we were hunting agricultural fields) using 140 Partitions at 2870 fps MV. At 550 yards and 2650 fps MV the 150 ELD-X has the same velocity as the 140 NP at 2870 MV.

P

I'm going to borrow my brother's Magnetospeed, especially after today.

Note: these loads are safe in my rifle not yours. Do not exceed published maximums.

I chronoed a few loads this afternoon and got some surprising velocities. I really wanted to see what the 41 gr Varget load did, after such a good group on my last range day. I even shot some existing loads with my other -08 as a control. The chrono averaged 60 to 64 fps faster than previously chronoed loads, even in the old rifle. Ambient temp was close to the same, so it's not due to atmospheric conditions.

The weird thing, the loads were very consistent. I only shot two rounds per string, but extreme spread was 20 fps clear down to 3.

The 41 gr Varget load chronoed at 2842, ES of 15. That's really high, like almost 200 fps high.

43 gr Varget chronoed 2917, ES 20

44 gr Varget was 2953, ES 13

A shorter OAL 44 gr Varget was 2978, ES 13

My control, 51.5 gr BG and 120 NBT chronoed 3115 in a different Superlite, and 3126 in my other T3. In this Superlite it chronoed 3190, ES 4.

My 140 Partition load chronoed 2953, ES 18.

In my main T3 the same load has chronoed 2873. Today this load chronoed 2939, ES 18 in my main T3.

I'll get the Magnetospeed tomorrow.

P

Wow, that's a pretty increase in speed. Hope you get it sorted out. Those loads are trucking and I can't see you not seeing some marks on brass with that sorta speed.

pharmseller":ewyyzwvn said:
That's why I think it's the chronograph, the brass looks fine.

P

Confirm it at 500 yards and check bullet drop, compare it to your chrono speed and see if its close.

TackDriver284":2eoctafq said:
pharmseller":2eoctafq said:
That's why I think it's the chronograph, the brass looks fine.

P

Confirm it at 500 yards and check bullet drop, compare it to your chrono speed and see if its close.

I'm going to shoot the same loads over my brother's Magnetospeed this weekend. Stay tuned.

P

Magnetospeed results:

41 gr Varget, 2722, ES 25

42 gr Varget, 2777, ES 11

42.5 gr Varget, 2814, ES 29

44 gr Varget, 2877, ES 3

That's more like it.

P

pharmseller":3bl44drw said:
Magnetospeed results:

44 gr Varget, 2877, ES 3

That's more like it.

P

Pharm, that load is mighty impressive. 2800+ with that 150 ELD is pretty danged good. Should make an excellent longer range deer load.

SJB358":1odlde2l said:
pharmseller":1odlde2l said:
Magnetospeed results:

44 gr Varget, 2877, ES 3

That's more like it.

P

Pharm, that load is mighty impressive. 2800+ with that 150 ELD is pretty danged good. Should make an excellent longer range deer load.

Why just deer? We've killed three bulls (2 for me, 1 for my dad) using 140 Partitions or Accubonds out to 350 yards.

P

pharmseller":1vf5y1o1 said:
SJB358":1vf5y1o1 said:
pharmseller":1vf5y1o1 said:
Magnetospeed results:

44 gr Varget, 2877, ES 3

That's more like it.

P

Why just deer? We've killed three bulls (2 for me, 1 for my dad) using 140 Partitions or Accubonds out to 350 yards.

P

Cause I frankly don't like the way they look when they impact. For deer, I'd bet they are awesome and I'd use them all day long but on animals like elk I'll use Partitions and Accubonds. Just my opinion and I've never shot an elk with a Berger or AMax but how they work isn't my cup of whiskey.

On game reports on anything bigger than deer have not been good on the eld x. There are even plenty of "messy" deer reports.
I would be pretty Leary using em on elk from what I've seen too. A fine beanfield , powerline, tundra type bullet I would think.

kraky1":54gdtv56 said:
On game reports on anything bigger than deer have not been good on the eld x. There are even plenty of "messy" deer reports.
I would be pretty Leary using em on elk from what I've seen too. A fine beanfield , powerline, tundra type bullet I would think.

A friend of mine has had excellent results with the 162 ELD-X out of his 7mm Rem Mag. 2 elk, a buck, and a bear.

P

pharmseller":1ru77u91 said:
kraky1":1ru77u91 said:

A friend of mine has had excellent results with the 162 ELD-X out of his 7mm Rem Mag. 2 elk, a buck, and a bear.

P

If they work for you then that is probably the biggest part. I dont care for tin foil Bullets for large game but enough folks like them to deny their work. Lots of great Bullets out there.

Yeah, we are living in the golden age of bullets. Compared to what was available a couple of decades past, our problem is settling on what we will use. At one time, the situation was simple--always heavy for calibre (the biggest hunk of lead possible) to ensure penetration to the vitals. The monolithics, bonded core and mechanical interruption bullets make the task more difficult because we have to settle on something!

Some thoughts on the comparison between the load I'm using (140 Partition, 47.5 gr Big Game, 2870 fps) and the load I'm considering in my new 7mm-08 (150 ELDX, 41 gr Varget, 2725 fps).
There isn't much difference between them in velocity past 175 yards, and the 150 catches up at 350. The difference grows wider but it's not that significant.
What I noticed, however, was how mild the Varget was. It was really easy to shoot.
Maybe I'm on to something.

P

pharmseller":220xzu2x said:
Some thoughts on the comparison between the load I'm using (140 Partition, 47.5 gr Big Game, 2870 fps) and the load I'm considering in my new 7mm-08 (150 ELDX, 41 gr Varget, 2725 fps).
There isn't much difference between them in velocity past 175 yards, and the 150 catches up at 350. The difference grows wider but it's not that significant.
What I noticed, however, was how mild the Varget was. It was really easy to shoot.
Maybe I'm on to something.

P

I think it'll prove to be fun. Should have some decent reach as well.

Range day this afternoon.

41 grains Varget at 2.276" (.03" off the lands) was again the winner. Not quite as good as the first time, but I'm not the best shot off a bench. Plus, I had "third shot jitters."

IMG_0353_zpsmuydy50z.jpg

I tried 5 different seating depths with 42.2 grains Varget, and two OAL look promising. The good news, they were sequential, so if I play around between them I might get lucky.

IMG_0354_zpsyzu5enoc.jpg

IMG_0355_zpsugemjnjs.jpg

Not quite the tight triangles I was looking for, but it's progress. I'm hoping for sub .75" accuracy at 2800 fps.

P

Back