165 Gr Accubond at 3500 fps...Looks good!

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Got this from another site. Thought I would post it here.

I just got back from the trip.

We were in the Northern Peninsula of NFLD in the high ground. Very open country with small patches of dense black spruce here and there.

All week it looked like shots would be at least 200 yards, if not more.

We ended up spotting a bull about 2000 yards away at the base of a high knob. We circled around and came out on the knob above him and he was still there. The shot was about 30 yards.

First shot was behind the shoulder. The bullet passed through the heart and was recovered under the skin of the meaty part of the upper leg on the far side. The bullet had exited the body and reentered the upper leg and not made it out of the hide on the far side. The Jacket was well peeled back but the jacket and core were still attached to each other in a mushroom. The bullet has lost some weight but I'm impressed that it stayed together. I haven't weighed it yet.

Second shot was into the shoulder which broke the shoulder and upper leg bone. That bullet was not found.

I'd say that 30 yards at 3500+fps on a Moose is an extreme test for any bullet and I'd say the 165 AccuBond passed.

The Moose was dead on the first shot but was still moving, thus the second shot.

The Bull was a nice sized 14 pointer.

I won't hesitate to use 165 Accubonds in my 300 RUM in the future but I will also be developing loads with heavier bullets.

This is only the second animal that I shot with 165 Accubonds. Both were close and at very high velocity. In both cases the bullets held together and did not blow up. I highly recommend these bullets.

Some pics: The moose is the hairy one....

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

The recovered bullet weighs 103.2 grains, which is a retained weight of 62.5%.

That is good for a 30 yard shot at over 3,500 fps MV.

I'll post a photo of the bullet soon.

Here are some photos of the bullet that did the deed.

Retained weight is 103.2 grains or 62.5%.

Note how well the core has stayed bonded to the jacket.

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

Looks like perfect bullet performance to me. Nice bull moose too.

JD338

Great Moose...

Great Bullet...

Great Pics....

Looks just like the AccuBond I pulled out of a Mule Deer last Fall.

328 yards, perfect mushroom and about 72% weight retention.

So we know Accubonds expand nicely at 3500 fps or around 2483 fps.(muzzle velocity of 3000 fps 7mm Rem Mag 160gr AccuBond)

Pretty awesome performance.

Man, that is a great story. Seems like the AccuBond has really grown to be an excellent performer, and at a little discount to the Partition. Not that there are any flys on the Partition, but any time you can shoot a premium bullet for a little less money, that is a good thing in my book. Excellent moose and pictures. Scotty

That's what I've witnessed with ABs. The pictures are very helpful.

Another nice story of ACCUBONDS.- Won´t change them for nothing.
Sleek,superaccurate and for sure hold together.

I used Accubonds for the first time in 2005 for elk and deer and it did an excellent job on both accounts. The same load has taken whitetails around home and some other stuff. Overall, it is the most versatile hunting bullet I have found for a very reasonable cost. Scotty

That is a pretty awesome combo in the mighty 300 Win Mag. I am sure you won't be disapointed. Might not be as destructive and deadly as your long bow, but it should bring up the rear. Scotty

Back