175 RDF Load Data

mike06

Beginner
Oct 22, 2015
In the Nosler Load Data it shows a tested coal of 2.80 for a 175 RDF . With the RDF being much longer I would think loading it to 2.80 would be a compressed load in some cases. What do you think?

I don't mind a little powder crunch, so long as I can get consistent seating depths. Sometimes I try a load that I have a hard time getting consistent seating depth because the case has so much powder it's tough to seat the bullet.

I never use coal measurements in my target rifles just base to ogive. That info could be a little misleading to a newbe causing over pressure with a max load of powder.

mike06":3pmpjbzn said:
In the Nosler Load Data it shows a tested coal of 2.80 for a 175 RDF . With the RDF being much longer I would think loading it to 2.80 would be a compressed load in some cases. What do you think?

I imagine you're talking the 308 Winchester cartridge?

Many 308's are built on short action rifles and can't accept a cartridge much over 2.8"

A little over, maybe... And, I have no worries about compressed loads. Have used them in several cartridges over the years with no problem.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":tt90fi28 said:
mike06":tt90fi28 said:

I imagine you're talking the 308 Winchester cartridge?

Many 308's are built on short action rifles and can't accept a cartridge much over 2.8"

A little over, maybe... And, I have no worries about compressed loads. Have used them in several cartridges over the years with no problem.

Regards, Guy

Back