2 8mm Accubonds, 2 elk in the freezer!

Jeff Olsen

Handloader
Nov 10, 2006
I had one heck of a season this year.

After 6 or 7 seasons of futility, in which I became an expert at seeing every kind of elk that I DIDN'T have a tag for, I finally put some elk in the freezer.

I was invited to hunt on a friend of a friend's ranch in SW Colorado. This tag was good for anything other than a spike elk, basically. On day 4, I killed this huge cow at 275 yards with a single AccuBond from my .325 WSM Kimber Montana. That's the relieved smile of a guy who, by golly, isn't going to his grave elk-less! :)

mewithcow.jpg

This was a BIG cow! The bullet first hit the heavy bone of the onside elbow, then entered the armpit of the elk, took off the top of the heart plumbing, and did everything but exit up forward of the opposite shoulder, in the lower neck area. I don't know what happened to the bullet. I think it must have fallen back through the neck muscle into the chest cavity when the elk tumbled, which by the way she did. She went down HARD and fast! Big elk:

bradandmarkwithcow.jpg

After this hunt wrapped up, I headed up to NE Oregon for my usual hunting camp. I got there just in time to help set up the tent- I KNEW I should have waited a little longer <g>! Anyway, on the first day I was within 15 yards or so of 3 cows, but no bulls. Day two, I was walking in very slowly at dawn and jumped a bull that was browsing down by the creek. This is where the hard lessons of the previous Seasons of Futility (coming soon to a theatre near you!) kicked in... lessons hewn from failure... ripped from despair... and well, basically pounded into my thick skull... this is where they helped! I ran AFTER the bull, figuring my only chance would be if he broke up the south-facing ridge opposite, where I might get a shot. I ran about 40 yards on the trail, and another 10 off the trail, found a spot with visibility and got my feet set just in time for him to, sure enough, go trotting up that ridge at about 150 yards. I had time to get on him and when the crosshairs crossed his shoulder, fire. Then nothing. I was just starting to doubt myself when I heard a ka-WHUMP!! from up on the hillside and the sound of large branches breaking. I watched a little while (I could see his flank) and then headed up! Success!

elkside.jpg

My grizzled butt next to him. That's a 2-elk growth of beard right there!

meandbull.jpg

The exit wound. The bullet jellied the back half of the onside lung, and then bruised and barely creased the other lung. I honestly believe that the design intent of the AccuBond- to fragment early- helped keep this one from becoming a rodeo.

meandbull.jpg

I couldn't be happier with how the 200-gn 8mm Accubonds worked for me. I also killed a blacktail buck that I, well, shot in the butt with them. He was quartering sharply away at a mere 40 yards and I thought I could sneak a bullet in behind the last rib. He turned, I slipped, and the result was that I shot him right through the hip socket. That rear quarter felt practically liquid under the hide, and it was ALL puffed up... a mess...When I unzipped him and the stomach wasn't popped, I thought for sure I'd seen a bullet failure, that it had blown up in the hip.

However... I got him home, and that bullet had smashed the hip joint, traversed over 39" of deer, and ended up under his chin! Perfect mushroom and retained 140 grains (70%) of it's weight. Perfection. Here's the bullet:

8mmAccubondbuttbuck.jpg

Oh, here's the buck. LOOK at that puffed-up leg! Note to self... don't do THAT again... I processed him myself and salvaged most of that quarter; what I'd thought was jellied meat was blood under the hide....

[
deer08.jpg

All in all, a great season. I couldn't be happier with how the Accubonds worked. Even when tested at 40 yards, it just kept on digging. Two FAST kills with two shots on two elk! Doesn't get any better than that.

-jeff

Jeff Olsen

Welcome back! Congratulations on your great season. With a full freezer, you are going to eat well this winter. :lol:

JD338

DAYUM! I cant wait until the next time I get to go Elk huntin!
Great year! great pics! congrats.

Congrats on the successful hunts!

What powder are you using to load that 325wsm?

Nice hunting Jeff. Looks like a lot of fun all rolled up into one fall.
Also, that blacktail leg is awesome. What was it like when you rolled the hide off?
Congrats!!!

You truly did have a great hunt. That cow was huge. Was she a Roosevelt? What ever you did to plan for that trip you could patent and become rich from the sales. Congrats on all counts. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Froggy, I was expecting an absolute mess in that deer rear quarter, and I certainly deserved one! However it wasn't as bad as I thought it might me. It felt like jello under the hide, but once I got it peeled, it turned out the deer had largly bled out into it's leg... sort of... and I was about to drain and scrape most of the blood out of there.

The bone frags from the hip joint did most of the damage. The bullet really seemed to NOT be a problem, as far as causing undue bloodshot on it's own. That's in line with a buck I shot through the shoulder bone with a 30-06 and an AccuBond the first year they came out- no real bloodshot to speak of, nothing extreme certainly.

Greg, no, that's a Rocky Mountain cow elk! Thing was just crazy huge.

Looking at my original post, I see I graced you all with TWO pictures of my ugly mug and somehow didn't post the exit wound on the Oregon bull elk. Here it is, along with a "butt" photo of that same elk that I thought was cool:

elkexit.jpg

elkrear.jpg

Wow, congratulations. That is awesome to get two elk in one year. That is pretty much a heaven on Earth deal for me. Plus you scored a nice deer. Seasons like that are ones you always remember. Scotty

Back