2010 Hunting Pictures

I was using my .338 win. mag Browning Bar 180 gr. AC the biggest one is mine shot at 280 yards the other one is my buddys 250 yards 300 ultra mag. not sure of bullet.

beretzs":r5cm9pp6 said:
What load? Scotty

That gun likes 5.4gr of IMR 700x pushing a 158gr Hornady XTP and a Win mag primer. At 50 yards I can put them all in a chew can. I think that's good enough on deer sized game. I'm looking forward to practicing on woodchucks this summer.

Sounds like a winner! How did it perform on the deer? Meaning was it a pass through? Did you recover it? Just wondering. We are all recovered bullet nuts, so it is cool to see and hear how other bullets work out. Scotty

beretzs":2lnygnuo said:
Sounds like a winner! How did it perform on the deer? Meaning was it a pass through? Did you recover it? Just wondering. We are all recovered bullet nuts, so it is cool to see and hear how other bullets work out. Scotty

I shot it at probably 25 yards. It was a complete pass through. Through the lungs and nicked the heart. She went probably 50 yards and fell over.

JD338":1apvmnoy said:
I would call it a war wound. :grin: Feel free to post a picture of your knee to go with your buck. :mrgreen:

JD338

Well, after a week and some great nursing care from my wife, it's not so bad anymore. Here's a picture of what is sure to become a nice scar. It's about 2" long now, but the ends have healed up nicely. It was, according to my wife, at least 2.5-2.75" long initially. I thought it was smaller than that, but we all know you don't argue with the wife. When I saw this picture, I immediately thought it appeared my knee was smiling!

138335a7.jpg

Yeah, you will have a nice scar. It does look as if it is healing nicely, though. I can see how that would be somewhat painful.

I'm hoping the kneecap and outside of my knee stop hurting (off and on) in the next few days. I'm wearing gauze and tape as a bandage, with an ACE over it for support right now, and I think it's just bruising (as my wife thoroughly palpated it and said, "It might be fractured, but everything feels normal other than all this cut and bleeding.") but I'm not happy it hasn't gone away yet. It's only been a week, and it only hurts on the surface of the joint, but it's starting to worry me. There may be x-rays in my future.

It probably wouldn't hurt to have it examined by a competent GP or an orthopedic surgeon. I doubt that there is a fracture, but for your own peace of mind it would be good to rule that out, I should think. We're pulling for you, man.

No worries - I still went hunting over the weekend, and I'm going again next weekend! (After that, deer season is over and I will consider, if I still have pain, going to the doctor. My wife says I'm a little bit of a caveman sometimes...)

Awesome bull! Can you give us some details and bullet performance? Great picture! Makes me hungry just thinking about all that meat! Scotty

dubyam":1e0yxacw said:
Well, after a couple of dry years, one of which I didn't even hunt, yesterday evening at about 5min before 5p I got a shot through an opening in the woods at this fellow. A 130gr Nosler E-Tip through the front shoulder dropped him in his tracks. I was sitting across a draw from him at about 175yds. He didn't move for a while, so I climbed down and hiked up to the ridgeline where he was. He jumped up, scrambling and falling, and ran off the ridge and up onto another little ridge point. I decided to leave him until this morning and all was good.

He's my biggest so far, ever, and has a very wide rack. His inside spread measures 17".

Needless to say, I'm stoked. So much so, that I'm not even bothered by having to get stitches in my knee from slipping and busting it hauling him out.

photo.jpg
Dub,

Congrats buddy!!! I know its been a long road, but its things like this that make all those trials worthwhile. Can't think of a better guy to get a buck like this.

Kelly, thanks for the kind words. I know you undersabd how tough the last few years have been, so I especially appreciate it! One of these days we have to share a campfire.

Better late than never, S.C. whitetail (an annual hunt w/ old friends), 225 lbs, Ruger#1S 300 H&H, 165 gr. AccuBond/IMR 4350 (pass through), 125 yards.

DeerHuntinginSC-Oct23-242010016crop.jpg

Back