2011 Hunting Pictures

The conclusion of a great hunt! That was a rich harvest. Congratulations.

Results from my recent trip to the Eastern Cape of South Africa:
308 Winchester, 165gr. Nosler AccuBond
DSC00058.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

9.3x62 Mauser, 286gr. Hornady SP
DSC00167.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

Great pictures, Craig! Congratulations on a successful hunt. What are you doing with the horns and capes? Full mounts? Shoulder mounts? European mounts?

The first impala and both blesbucks will be getting shoulder mounts. The second impala will be getting a european mount with the hide tanned. The warthog I will be using the tusks to make into a necklace. I will be going back in a couple years, but I'll have a package with bushbuck, impala (I fell in love with them over there), springbuck, and grey duiker with kudu, black wildebeest, and possibly a black springbuck as add ons.

CraigP":3ccsrxe5 said:
Results from my recent trip to the Eastern Cape of South Africa:
DSC00058.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

Good on you Craig.

BTW what is your load and velocity with the 165 AB in that 308.

I am millimeters away from firing my unfired Sako finnwolf in 308.....

They were actually the Nosler Custom Trophy Grade factory ammo. I never chronographed them. Out of the light barrel of my Remington 700 Mountain Guide Rifle, 3 shots can be covered with a quarter. But then this gun is really accurate with almost everything I shoot in it.

Craig

Good morning all!!!!

I arrived home yesterday afternoon during a moderate rain storm. Got elk unloaded and into cooler for the night will hang it in barn today and start cutting tomorrow. My trip reminded me that my snow tires need to be on the truck and I have a barrel; stove across the river being sand blasted.

My Idaho buddies showed up Sunday afternoon admist rain and snow showers. got camp set up and gear final checked for Monday morning hunt. The next morning at 0530, I (the semi official guide) led them across the creek (now 4 inches higher as a result of the rain and snow) for a brisk walk uphil in the woods near where I shot mine earlier. As we approached the start of the meadows I cautioned them of the need for quiet and stealth because we were getting into the area where I expected they might be. About 10 yards later we spied a nice cow about 200 yards out and 1 shot from an 06 put her on the ground. After cleaning and hanging ( 1 1/2 hours) we moved up the hill a couple of hundred yards and retired for the morning under a big fir tree. About 50 yards from where I shot my cow. There we BS'ed quietly, watered up, ate lunch, had a nap and generally layed about doing nothing for several hours. At about 4 we again started up the edge of the meadow out of sight toward the back end of the drainage. It was windy, melting with the sound of snow plops everywhere. We walked right up on a nice 4 point buck, with two smaller bucks. At the edge of another vantage point we again stopped to glass and watch and wait. Couple of min later "another" nice cow walked into the opening at 350 yards. A long poke for an 06 sighted in for 200 yards. The shot resulted in a wounded elk, and after waiting a bit, they started tracking her down the mountain and I went quickly downhill to tru and get in front of her. They managed to catch here stopped after 1/2 mile and finish the job. All in all a great day. Finished her up before dark and headed out. Packed her and my elk out the next day in the driving rain, and day before yesterday packed out the earlier elk on a stunning fall morning. All three elk died with in 300 yards of each other. I then headed out on my 750 mile return journey.
I am getting my mind on Oregon as we speak.

Pictures to follow when I get them and my techie gets home!!!

Good looking goat; he's a true trophy when you worked that hard to tag him.

Here is a photo of my 2011 Eastern Oregon Muley.
I got him opening morning at about 9:00
Spotted him bedded below a rock outcropping at 500 yards.
My partner watched him and i worked my way around the ridge and approched with the wind on my face
I shot him as he rose from his bed at about 30 yards.
2011mybuck.jpg

This was the biggest buck we saw.
Lots of smaller bucks.
Talked to a rancher and he said the goverment trapper took out 38 cougers from the area.

That is a dandy buck. It sounds as if it was an exciting hunt for you. Congratulations on an excellent buck.

Very nice buck! Congrats on a great stalk! Excellent to see a nice trophy on the deck. Scotty

7 pt WT taken 10/15/2011 with a Mathews MQ1, Carbon Express Carbon arrows with a Muzzy 100 gr broad head at 21 yds.
DeerSeason2011009.jpg

JD338

5 X 5 elk taken at 174 yards with a 130 grain E-Tip launched from a 270 WSM.

PA100267.jpg

Nice bull Mike! He will be tasty. :grin:

JD338

Back