2011 Hunting Pictures

Alaska Sept. 5, 2011 one shot quartering away hit the last rib then, liver, heart, one lung and the stoped in the off side sholder. 250 gr Partition from a 338 rum.

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

I might have the desease , but bow buntings were it's at.

I love bow hunters they leave me so much game !!!!!!! I also bow hunt for deer and elk occasionaly. I have found that most bow hunters "love" hunting. Me I love eating big game.

Have a great day alll, I could not resist.

Great bull elk and great moose. Looks like Alaska weather cooporated.

Lol, study shows that bow hunters are just as successful as rifle hunter, more so in some species due to seasons and rut times, my self have killed more bull moose with a bow than a rifle, and new draws have only slowed it down, as well as work. In my family we shoot so much game that we give to the food bank yearly now. If I was home good chances I would get one on the ground with bow if I partnered with wife's draw, she is the one I want to connect with on her moose though.

Forgot to ask how is that bull about 48"?Tell us how far you had to pack it to river, did you half to leave over night, secound day recovery. I enjoy them stories almost as much as the hunt, because it's just another aspect shared, just like field work. :wink:

Tennessee bow opener.

Whitetail Doe - 19yds
Parker Cyclone Crossbow - 175lbs
Parker Arrow - 125gr Spitfire
75yds recovery

I am amazed at the blood trail from the Spitfires everytime I use them.

9-24-11doe.jpg

Awesome shooting Heath. The boy and I will be at it again next weekend if it cools down a little here in Va. Still too warm, being in the 70's and all. Hoping by next weekend we can get down into the 50's. Should get the deer moving a little. Scotty

There are some great new pictures from the present season. Congratulations to the hunters on some great game.

Got these geese last week. The dog on the left is my Buster, and on the right is my mom and step-dad's Buck. It was a race to see who could get the first goose in!

Attachments

• 100_1127.JPG
    100_1127.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,125
That looks as if you had some great hunting. Those are some fine honkers.

Good afternoon all, no pictures, you all have seen a cow elk, just a short narrative. (this is a cow only hunt)

Had a great day yesterday, about 11:30 spotted a couple of cows moving into a meadow in the back end of a big basin that I was working around. As I started to ease over that way more cows (16 or so, a 300 point bull and numerous small bulls) moved across the opening into the dark timber. Now being the intuitive sort that I am I eased over and settled in for the afternoon hoping that they would come back out in the meadow. Throughout the day I can hear the big bull chasing the smaller bulls around in the timber while bugling and squealing. At about 4 I can tell that the bull is getting closer to me, not headed back into the meadow. I sneak around to the other side of the little patch of Aspen I am in and see him drinking (at 88 yards) then he finishes up and heads after the cows. They had already moved through and headed for the next meadow. I cut over the top of the rim I was on to the other side and caught them still out in the middle, moving slowly across. Threw my pack on the ground, got prone behind it, (my prone sessions earlier this year paid off) ranged the middle of them at 323 moving away. Lots of calves and cows moving at the same time. Finally just as they started into the next patch of timber one separated from the others and the rifle went off. The 300 actually shoots its self, I really have no conscious thoughts when I shoot, the rifle just goes off. I saw her fall in to the timber line. Re-ranged at 350. I hit her a little high (like last year) just a few inches back from the near shoulder and the bullet came out at the back of the off shoulder. DRT I believe is the appropriate term. She was about a mile and a 1/2 in and 1800 feet above the road. Piece of cake pack. I should have her hidden on the north slope next to the road in a day or so.
Thats the highlights from me.

I should have her hidden on the north slope next to the road in a day or so.

Ain't that the way, Bill. Congratulations. Sounds like a great hunt. Make sure you leave some for the easterners.

DrMike":1uat7a83 said:
I should have her hidden on the north slope next to the road in a day or so.

Ain't that the way, Bill. Congratulations. Sounds like a great hunt. Make sure you leave some for the easterners.
+1 from Elkeater2

I reckon if a guy has "elk" in his username, he's got to earn it, and you did Bill!
Personally, I'm starting to feel the pressure to do likewise. :oops:

Did you bring it out in chunks on shank's mare?
Tom

Hi all
Back to town for the morning, my partners on this hunt are on the way and will be here this after noon. Weather has moderated (had two days of blizzard conditions) and do have the elk where I want her.
She came down on my back in stages. I moved her about 1/2 mile each day. Could have done it faster but am in no hurry. I use a Camp Trails Freighter pack for moving elk. Cut and wrapped the tenderloins and backstraps yesterday. They are in the freezer in my camper now.
I did use the gutless method to take care of her as she was laying on a flat spot and did not want to move easily. I really liked it. I was done with her in a little over an hour and the meat and mess was much cleaner than usual. It will go faster the next time.
Elkeater, no pressure man!!!

Elkman,
We ought to compare Camptrails Freighter pictures sometime :grin:
Back when I lived closer to elk country, I'd always have mine in the truck. I owned horses back then too. Several times I downed elk and then had to decide whether to grab the frame or go back home for horsepower. The thought process would be something like this - "It's the middle of the day, I have to go back to work tomorrow, it will take me 2 1/2 hours to drive home, catch, hook on trailer, load gear, drive back, rig up, ride in, etc., or etc." OR " I can start making packframe trips now and be done by 6." So I'd do the latter and cuss the critters when I got home, and tell them how easy they got off again. :wink:

A couple of buddies and I got out for a good goose shoot SAT, morning. We split up into 2 groups with 4 shooters each, and a couple of youngens and dogs for retreiving,lol. Shot on fields of harvested peas, group #1 got 17 birds and group #2 got 30, hard to see all the birds in the alpha/alpha in the pic. We took this just before cleaning them.

gooseshoot2011003.jpg

Back