2011 Hunting Pictures

P1090084.jpg
[/img]
My first antelope taken in Douglas Wy. with my first wildcat cartridge and rifle - 6mm-284. I took the shot at 433yds with a 15mph 3 o'clock wind. The rifle - Weatherby Vanguard rebarrelled with a 1 in 9" 26" Pac-Nor. The cartridge - Nosler brass(6.5-284 resized), OAL is 2.874, CCI Br2 primer, 54gr of RL 22 pushing a Berger 95gr VLD(still waiting on those 90gr Accubonds) to 3600fps :twisted:. I also took a doe at 300yds. Excellent bullet performance, both antelope dropped within 10ft.

Muleman,

Good looking buck. Congratulations. All the more satisfying by virtue of using your own handiwork.

DrMike":gp8mygqw said:
Muleman,

Good looking buck. Congratulations. All the more satisfying by virtue of using your own handiwork.

Ain't that the truth!

My forkie was shot with my handloads, and that 8pt was arrowed with a shaft I trued and fletched myself. Amazing how similar tuning a bow and reloading can be, when I think of it.

But yeah, shooting one with your own handloads is a whole other level of enjoyment in hunting, I think.

muleman, that's one heck of a shot! I have shot a twice at more extended distances...one was 397 yards and one was 582 yards. That last one was a stupid thing when I was younger and I got lucky and connected with a liver hit that did the job. The 400-yarder was a much more calculated shot. At any rate, shooting that far on game, especially out where there's real wind, is an accomplishment. Way to go!

Those are a couple of fine animals, Steven. Congratulations on a success hunt. The mulie is especially enviable. You done good.

DrMike":16pqt1t3 said:
Those are a couple of fine animals, Steven. Congratulations on a success hunt. The mulie is especially enviable. You done good.

Ditto! I enjoy seeing under-appreciated cartridges taking game. Not overlooked by those in the know, but by the general shooting public.

Ah, the .280 has to qualify as my favourite all-time cartridge. It is easy to shoot and drops game with authority. Steven has proved my point.

DrMike":p1r3x19f said:
Ah, the .280 has to qualify as my favourite all-time cartridge. It is easy to shoot and drops game with authority. Steven has proved my point.

That 284-35 Whelen does sound like a good one. I know I love my two 7mms I have. Great bullets make them easy to love. Scotty

I didn't kill Bambi's dad, but I got her brother. I'm not proud but I don't smell like skunk. I passed on a few for the first 5 days. Three days left, so it was fill the freezer time:

Rob2011Buck-1.jpg

Thanks for looking,

I'm sure you'll enjoy this venison. Looks like a pretty good snowfall. Here we are in northern BC and we've had just a skiff of snow so far. Most of it was blown off the land after the first day.

Looks like its a little cold and wet. Nice buck it will eat a lot better than your tag. Congratulations. !!

Rob, anytime that you take a buck on a fair chase hunt, is a time for a back slap and congrats!
In what state were you hunitng? I am not convinced that I could face that sort of cold anymore!
Steven

Great picture and looks like a good buck! Heck, I would be happy with a spiker right about now. Hopefully the Fall picks up! Great shooting. Scotty

Thought I would share my kill for the year so far. it is 21.5 inches wide and 17 inches tall it is a 4X4.
corbinsdeer.jpg

Thank you Scotty. After that first snow hit all the bucks decided to come out and finally show themselves.

Nice buck Corbin. I was born in Columbus and moved away in 1970 with my dad. It's great country and holds some really really nice bucks, just like yours! What did you shoot him with??

6mm Remington":2333w65s said:
Nice buck Corbin. I was born in Columbus and moved away in 1970 with my dad. It's great country and holds some really really nice bucks, just like yours! What did you shoot him with??
Thank you. I shot him with the 7mm wsm and a 168 grain berger target vld on top of 58.5 grains of H4350 and CCI BR-2 primers. The deer dropped right where it stood due to a spine shot with zero blood shot meat.

Back