2011 Hunting Pictures

Seems that most folks that own a Whelen, that load their own ammo for them, really fall in love with them. I did. Had crappy luck with bullet performance on deer with the 200gr CL, but when I switched to TSX's and then to Speer's and now Noslers, it has been even better. Just can't think of a nice 400 yard rifle. Carries alot of authority with a big bullet and not a ton of powder. Plus, the dang CDL carries about as good as a rifle can. At least for me. Scotty

CatskillCrawler":150fdon1 said:
338 Ultra":150fdon1 said:
CatskillCrawler":150fdon1 said:
Sorry pal but because of my line of work and the way the world is going these days it is prudent to not be in the public eye. I have no doubt that anyone with some computer experence could clean up the picture and ta da but would prefer that does not occur. Don't worry though I am saving you some eye grief in the process. :wink:

I hope you didn't take offense to my post. I was just expressing my respect towards the 35 Whelen with a twist. I have no issues with your decision to not reveal your face before and certainly after your response.

Again, congrats, that is one heck of a mulie.

None taken at all thanks for the congrats.

Corbin,

Congratulations to you and your brother on a couple of dandy bucks. Right way to break in the 284 Win.

338 Ultra,

What a hog of a buck.My first 35 Whelen buck is still my biggest to date so we share a common thread. If you like the 35 Whelen, wait until you get a few more kills under your belt. You are going to love it!
Way to go buddy.

JD338

Congratulations on a fine specimen. You did very well. The Big 8mm was up to the task you set for it.

Great pictures and great hunt Bill. That big 8 certainly earned its keep. Scotty

Thanks guys, it was a super fun hunt and my pard and I learned even more about the little honey hole we found. IMO oddly enough at 200 yards I recovered the TSX bullet in the elk, I have the bullet and will post a picture.

I found the bullet resting in the neck as if it were shot from the right side, only problem is that I shot the elk from the left side and cross hairs were in the shoulder not the nech, had a real good look at the shoulder and a downed tree for a rest. At the time of the shot I thought I had picked a path with no tree branches, not that there were lots of branches in my path but enough you had to choose a shooting path, I was wrong. The TSX had punched an unseen (through the scope) branch, opened and still made it to the elks neck. I got lucky plain and simple.

Bill

Better to be lucky than good and have a glitch. You still took a fine looking elk. I've had a few head of game walk away unscathed due to branches that were not noted prior to pulling the trigger. Fortunately, I've also had a few that dropped despite the branches.

DrMike":2ehpcca4 said:
Better to be lucky than good and have a glitch. You still took a fine looking elk. I've had a few head of game walk away unscathed due to branches that were not noted prior to pulling the trigger. Fortunately, I've also had a few that dropped despite the branches.

Mike I agree 100%, I'll take luck any day I can get it. I posted a picture of the bullet on the bullet forum. The TSX is something else.

Bill

My son's Veteran's Day buck, taken with Grandpa's old M1917 .30-06 rifle & 165 gr Nosler solid base bullets:
IMG_5093.jpg

It snowed that night. I took a small "meat buck" with my .308, using the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip:
IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

IMG_5119.jpg

Nice buck and what a smile of satisfaction on the young man's face. Extra bonus pride in using a rifle that is handed down.
Congratulations!
Steven in DeLand, FL

Guy,

As always, superb photography. There is no question but that your son is pleased with his performance. Congratulations to him on taking a great buck. The pictures of the snow are certainly beautiful, but too close to what I had to drive through to get home from Bellingham yesterday.

Thanks guys. We thoroughly enjoyed our two-day hunt. Both were good fat bucks and should cook up real well. Mama is happy the freezer is going to be full of venison again. We were running low. Tracked a bear in the snow for a while too - but it went onto property where I did not have permission to hunt. Doggone it!

Bill - that's a NICE bull - Congratulations!

Your son looks pretty happy with his whitetail congratulations to you both. Nice pictures Guy, no pics of your "meat buck".

Congrats Guy! Great pictures and great hunt. That looks like it was a fun hunt. Scotty

Bill

Nice bull. congratulations, looks like a pretty nice day for hunting !!!

I used the TSX on a couple of elk then went back to the Nosler AB and PT. I was not happy with the performance.

guy

Looks like yoiu had a great weather day, snow really helps the odds. Congratulate your boy on the nice buck !!!

Love the pictures Guy. Grandson couldn't look happier and rightly so.

Bill

Back