2011 Idaho Bull Moose Hunt

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
I had a great ID moose hunt. I got my bull the second morning, about 9:05 on the 18th of Oct. I was coming out of the trees on an old logging road when I saw the bull standing broadside about 175 – 200 yds away. Having a nice set of antlers (measured about 38” - 39”) and being about 107 yds from camp, I sat down and cross-haired him with my 338RUM using 250 Accubonds and made a perfect shot; behind the right shoulder. While getting him field dressed, I found the heart blown up, but no exit hole – yeehaw, another recovered bullet for my collection. So here are the pics I took of him in the field.

Disregard the date on the moose pics. I fixed that after reviewing the pics on the camera.

Pic of camp while standing behind the bull:
DSCN0032.jpg

Pic of bull:
DSCN0033.jpg

Pic of bull:
DSCN0034.jpg

Pic of bull w/rifle:
DSCN0035.jpg

Pic of bull while in camp: (look for black spot in the middle)
DSCN0031.jpg

250AB bullet pics:
100_0310.jpg

100_0311.jpg

100_0312.jpg

Oh, I also posted this in the 2011 Hunting Pics Sticky.

I post up some more pics when I get them from my Uncle.

NIce bull, congrats on getting a lot of great moose meat :) it's especially nice to be able to get the pickup up to him too.

I'm looking forward to the remainder of your pictures. It looks warm from the pictures. What were your weather conditions?

gerry":wznlve8y said:
NIce bull, congrats on getting a lot of great moose meat :) it's especially nice to be able to get the pickup up to him too.

Yes it was, as I was by myself. Got him drug over to camp, into our "cooler", hung and skinned using the truck, the ATV, and the ATV's winch. The rest of the crew came up the 21st.

DrMike":29vrbunn said:
I'm looking forward to the remainder of your pictures. It looks warm from the pictures. What were your weather conditions?

Looks are deceiving, as it was 20* that morning and about 40 something as a high.

Great temperatures for skinning and hanging a moose. Again, congratulations on a fine animal.

Nice job on the moose. Great performance from the Nosler.........again! I bet backstraps on the fire would taste good!

NIcely done, good looking moose, and so close to camp. Can't go wrong there.

Croey

Rich,

That is a very nice bull, congratulations to you.
Nice to drop him in a spot where you can get to him with a pick up. That is good planning for sure. :grin:

JD338

I forgot to mention that I must not have had the rifle in tight on my shoulder as when it went off, I received a little scratch on my nose from the bridge of my glasses and another little scratch just above my eyebrow that had about the curve as the eye piece. I still heard the famous whoppppp the bullet makes when hitting game. I have to admit my XCR 338RUM w/250ABs kicks more than my 375RUM LSS w/260ABs; which I attribute to the difference in rifle weights.

Here's a pic my Uncle took with me and my moose.

GEDC0059.jpg

One deer, two elk and a moose for your group, you guys did well. Your moose had a good layer of fat on him, nice.

gerry":1lu0mybm said:
One deer, two elk and a moose for your group, you guys did well. Your moose had a good layer of fat on him, nice.

2 Muleys, the other one isn't in the pic.

Finally got the moose all butcheered and in the freezer. 3 days to de-bone and make steaks and roasts and another 2 days to do all the grinding, mixing, ginding again, and then wrapping. Good thing I got a new larger freezer. I've considered going out to fill my antlerless elk tag, but after the time spent butchering the moose and the fullness of the new freezer, I'll just eat the tag this year - no biggy, it's not like I don't have any meat. Hell, I still have meat from the 4x4 elk I got last year.

Back