2015 Hunting Pictures

image.jpegHello everybody it's been awhile sense my last post but I thought I'd share this years harvest from northern MN with everyone. Sako 85 finnlight 300WSM 150gr TTSX. Jager1

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 5,886
Nice bucks for sure. Congratulations guys. The elk out of the Missouri Breaks over in central Montana are hard to be also!! They sure put on some fat over there and are really good eating!

David

Here's a very poor pic of my 2015 bull. I shot him at 7:10 am on the last day of the second Oregon coast bull hunt. It was only 18 minutes into legal shooting time, and my Garmin Rhino does not have a flash. Got him quartered and in the truck by 11:00 am and was back in camp in time to see the civil war game!

I was hunting alone, so I packed him out by myself.
It was a great hunt this year, the weather was gorgeous and I did not have 1 day of rain...did I mention it was an Oregon coast elk hunt?

It was a 50 yard shot almost at a 45 degree angle. The bullet went in just above the onside shoulder, broke the spine, then through the offside shoulder and ended up between the shoulder and the skin.

Good performance for a cup and core boat tail. Rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye compact mag, caliber .338 RCM.bullet 002.JPGelk 003.JPG

Excellent! For sure, that is an unusual hunt on the Oregon coast when there was no rain!

I should say it did rain one evening, but never during the day.

Here are a couple more pics I was going to add to my first pos.

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,778
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    427.7 KB · Views: 5,778
It sure does look like the Wet Coast. Our BC Coast looks about the same. Makes for some strenuous work to hunt, and even to fish at times.

Awesome bull and bullet recovery. That 225 Speer BTSP is probably about perfect for the RCM.. Congrats on the elk.

This 9 point had a couple broken off. Northwest Louisiana.

Attachments

• IMG_76971.jpg
    IMG_76971.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 5,741
Welcome aboard, Mike. Congratulations on a good looking Louisiana whitetail. His headgear has some character, that's for sure. What's the story on your hunt? I'm sure we'd all enjoy living the hunt vicariously. Again, welcome aboard.

Hi Mike, welcome to the form thank you for the photograph. We are all wondering if there is a adventure story along with it :wink:?
I am sure you are going to enjoy this site as there is lots of knowledge along with some very good people.
What were you shooting when you knocked down that fine buck?

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3nuvc6v0 said:
Hi Mike, welcome to the form thank you for the photograph. We are all wondering if there is a adventure story along with it :wink:?
I am sure you are going to enjoy this site as there is lots of knowledge along with some very good people.
What were you shooting when you knocked down that fine buck?

Blessings,
Dan

Well guys here it is. First I am 65 years old and this is my fourth year of deer hunting and the 9 is my 4th deer 2nd one this year got a 6 point on 10-10-2015 during youth/veterans week. I am on a 600 acre lease here in Louisiana. Early before daylight that morning I put out some TopSecret "Hot Mama" doe pee using a drag rag. That lane I shot him in is 387 yards long. He came out at 10:50 am about 275 yards and was coming straight to me. He stop a 170 yards out gave me a good broadside shot and I squeezed the trigger on my new Savage Axis II HP 270 win. that I had just bought 2 weeks before. I used 130 grain Hornady Super Performance SST because I have not had time to develop a load for it. The deer dropped right in his tracks bang flop. I now have the components to load Nosler 130 BT and 130 Accubonds with. That is how I ended up here researching load info. I have been shooting paper and reloading 308 & 223 for over 20 years.

I just wanted to share a few pictures with you from a hunting trip I took to Wyoming in October with my friend Gary. We both used Nosler AccuBond bullets.
Gary took his elk with a .280 Remington at 250+ yards. The elk traveled less than 20 yards. I shot my elk the previous day, so I got to tag along that morning and watch the action unfold. Live action is better than a recording any day!
I took my elk with a .338 Winchester Magnum using a 200 grain AccuBond. When I started to move into position, the elk was 225 yards away. He did not like the activity he saw and decided to trot off up the hill. He made a fatal mistake when he stopped and turned at the sound of a cow call. He only traveled a few yards. Bull elk have tough hide. The double lung shot allowed me to find the bullet laying under the skin on the opposite side of the bullet entry. Just as engineered. The same thing happened to me on a 7x7 bull I in Colorado in 2011. I'm also attaching a picture of the bullet.
Two hunters, two bullets, two mature 6x6 bull elk! Thanks.

Attachments

• Crop_0230_1.jpg
    Crop_0230_1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5,888
  • IMG-20151009-00108.jpg
    IMG-20151009-00108.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5,888
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5,888
Awesome recovery and oh my Lord what a great bull! Congrats to you on him.

I ran the 200 ABs in my 338 this fall but ended up using my 7mm Mashburn with 160 ABs. It worked well as all ABs have.

Did your buddy recover his bullet from the 280?

Again, congrats on everything.

That is a great hunting trip, Mike. The AccuBond is a great bullet that will perform well on elk. The 338 WM will git 'er done; and the .280 Rem has been a favourite of mine for many years. Welcome to the forum. Glad to see the pictures of your success.

Thank you. No, we did not recover the .280 bullet. The bullet hit some bone in the front shoulder and did not make it the whole way through the chest cavity. Since the outfitters did a 'gutless-quarter', they did not open up the chest cavity. Nevertheless, it did the trick!

Back