2015 Hunting Pictures

MikeD,
That bull of yours is a real tailgater! Congrats on a real trophy elk! Garys is very nice to boot, been a while since I have seen two as nice, from the same hunt, you guys really got it done!

First Sept hunt, 841 lbs Med sized Maine Bull
41" IMG_20150929_083109526.jpg hunters were happy with him. Got em first day called him into 75yds!

Well thats an interesting question, the guy isnt really much of a hunter, but ALL of his friends are! So they get him to put in for a permit every year, he really does not have a gun of his own! But inherit his dads old Rem 760 pump gun in 30/06; Which hadnt seen the light of day for 25 years! He found an old box of 220 gr Peters his father had written "moose/bear on, That were in a 1960's looking box. The old pump had just the factory open sights, Anyway I had scouted out a fair few bulls with our floatplane , prior to the season opening. (Completely legal pre season) so we knew right where to start, so first morning of the hunt they checked out some bulls, and they located a larger bull that was there in the bog with some cows he had bunched up, he would NOT leave them , but this satilite bull, came 500 yds to their side of the bog in about 10 mins of coaxing, to about 75 yds where he made a
Great shot on him, with one of thise old 220gr bullets, right in the pocket where the should meets the neck, it absolutely "pole axed" him into a heap! So big hunter or not, he could shoot!!!
Just goes to show: that old stuff will still getter done! The distance was 75yds. He never knew what hit him. Weighed 840 dressed out. A younger animal, certainly not trophy grade. But he was not looking for a trophy..

Our second hunt didnt end as well :cry: Father and son team, neither had ever shot anything, but really nice folks, boy is 13 and Dad wants him to shoot the moose. 4th evening they get a chance of a lifetime on a really lovely 60" Bull I had been watching all season, he is 5x6 in the front and 7x8 on his blades probably about A thousand lber......... he is ready and came straight in to the call ,but then walked off a hundred yards before deciding then to steped right Out into the woods road !!exactly 150yds, both hunters with BARs toped with Swarvorski scopes, one is in 06, other 300 Mag, Bull is broadside but looking straight at them. Dad tells his boy to shoot, and as he mounts
The rifle (shaking like a leaf) in his excitement he discharges his gun over the mooses back, and then freezes...... with a severe case of "bull fever"and never fires again. However the bull never moves! So the father fires a shot standing; and two more running at this beautiful bull.
Neither one touched him......... they were so upset they just hung out at camp and fished on friday, and Saturday That was a perfect day to hunt, they packed it up and headed home.......
I asked him why, and he told me "Earle if we couldnt hit that monster, standing right in the middle of the road we dont deserve one"........ :(
Ps the boy told me as we shook hands good bye " I will never forget how that bull looked as he steped into the road, as long as I live" (y)

Great stories E... Sometimes taking an animal isn't as cool as the story of a good hunt.

Novice hunters (and some veterans) can do some amazing things. I remember my first grizzly. I was hyperventilating. The friend with me was urging me to shoot. The bear was unalarmed and lazing about at eighty yards or so. I couldn't pull the trigger. Finally, the bear tired of showing me his beautiful side and wandered off into the bush. The worst part--it was all on tape. YIKES!

Mike,
Takes a big man to admit it, and bears are the worst, even worse as it gets dark! Over the years we have had some very interesting things happen with bears. Of course the more you do the less chance of things getting crazy. I will say even after guiding bear hunters for years I got my eyes opened up in a big way a few years ago on a goat hunting trip out of Petersburg
AK. We flew out to spend a few days with a guide friend on his boat, he had Keith Atcheson and a friend hunting brown bear up
The streams that ran into the bay we were anchored up in, in my opinion these guides are the bravest souls I have, ever been around! Their way of harvesting bears is to go up the streams a few hours before dark and wait until it is Dark and quietly sneak back down the brook and catch these bears out feeding in the stream, they talk about a long shot being 50 yards and up
Close and personal is under 15 yds!!! Knowing all the things that can go wrong in broad daylight, I found this method amazing,
That no one has gotten mauled yet............. I was dumb founded anyone has that sorta balls......... guides where carrying 375 Rugers??? If I decide to ever try it I am going to borrow Ward Gays old double rifle , in 460 #2 Nitro or I am not going!

Earle,

Most of my shots on bears anymore are close. I can see that those boys were using the technique that virtually ensures success. The 375 Ruger is certainly adequate for big bears. I don't get the jitters anymore, but I still get terribly excited in the presence of bears.

I'd want a double rifle to do something like that too. Maybe even a 10ga double. That is a bit much on the adrenaline junky scale.

Ward Gay taught us never less than 50 and never more than a hundred........... this 15-45 yd stuff is a little inside my comfort zone, I have had numerous bears shot at fifty end up almost at my feet........ they better hope nothing ever goes wrong!

Mike D, Welcome to the forum. You and Gary both took two awesome Bull Elk! Can't say I've seen any better then that on public lands.

Cole,
I noticed from some of your earlier pics, you guys have these same hybred things out in Idaho that we have here in Maine,
Around here we are calling a good "brush wolf" anything over 50 lbs , I have seen one that went 63 lbs, but I am guessing yours may run larger than what we have here? Can you post any weights of know weights of those wolf mixed hybreds?
E

My female wolf weighed 90lbs in September. I know there are some well over 150lbs. A buddy of mine shot one that was as long as he is tall (6'3") and much bigger that my female. I wouldn't be surprised to see a wolf weigh 175+lbs in the winter if he was eating good.

We had the wolves really thined out in Alaska , you would hardly ever see one flying around, here is a picture of one weeks hunting in 1982 out of our Mulchatna River camp, for 3 hunters
E
IMG_20151223_073621779.jpg

Down to the wire, Sue scored on this nice 8 PT.
Her first buck with a xbow.
IMG_20151231_184136457.jpg

JD338

Back