2015 PA Rifle Opener

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
As I did last year, I set out today with my daughter Megan in tow. She had her new-to-her 7mmWSM Model 70, lefty for her left dominant eye, and I had my M70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM. We went to the same stand where we started the season last year, and where I shot a decent buck on the opener last season.

It was cold and damp, the most miserable weather to hunt in.....low 30's and humid as heck. I just can never seem to stay warm in that kind of weather, and a 5-10mph east wind today didn't help one bit.

We saw two does a little before 8 come loping over a hill from the neighboring property, tails down. I got my rifle up and told Megan to do the same. We laid them on the shooting rail just to be prepared. About 5 minutes later, sure enough, there's a deer cresting the hill. It turned out to be a frisky little spiker with spikes about 6-7" long. Not legal game for me, but fair game for Megan. He came right in, and gave her several standing broadside shot opportunities at 100-120 yards.

She asked me, "If I shoot him, is my hunting over?" I answered that it was, as she'd used her doe tag in October, and she had a buck tag remaining.

She said she didn't want to end her season so soon, and not on a barely-legal buck. I asked her several times, "Are you sure?" She was. I was pretty proud of her.

A half hour to 45 minutes later, the does came flying back out from where they left the field and back from whence they came. No buck behind them, however.

The temps weren't rising, the wind came and went, and we were both getting cold.

A few times, I asked her if she wanted to take a walk to another stand to warm up, or go back to the truck for a while to warm up. She always said she wanted to stay.

At about 10:45, she and I were sharing some Pringles and I was watching into the woods on our left while she looked ahead into the field. I heard her say "Uhhhhhhh.....Daddy....?" That's usually her whiny start on something bothering her, so before even looking, I started asking "What's the ma......". As I turned to the right, I saw 4 or 5 does walking 60-ish yards out in the field, paralleling the edge we were sitting on. Then behind them was a buck. Dang....that happened fast. I actually had a Pringle in my hand and it got tossed. The can of Pringles got wedged against my leg. I got my rifle and she got hers.

The deer were past us, heading to the corner we were watching out about 125 yards. I figured they were going to head into the brush. They got a little better than halfway there and turned around and came straight at us. I can't explain why, but they did. Not alarmed, curious, or in anyway alerted to our existence. I had to tell her to wait as the buck was mixed in the does and no clear shot was available. At about 60-70 yards, he was pointed straight at us. I didn't have her shoot. He took a couple steps and gave her a quartering forward shot. I said, "You ready?" Immediate "YES!" from her.

"OK, shoot him just in front of the edge of his shoulder."

The buck turned toward us.... "Megan, wait."

The buck turned back how he was. "Shoot him." BANG!

The deer all took off and the buck was dragging the leg on the side she hit him and was staggering badly, but he was going. I shot at him with the 300 when the does cleared him, but I missed. He stumbled and then got going again. I cranked the bolt, and at this point, he was at about 125 yards and starting to sag in the front end. I lined up again and drilled him with the bullet hitting just in front of the hip heading up the middle of the deer. He fell in a pile, but was in a dip in the field where we couldn't see him.

Here's Megan with her deer:

099BBCA8-A577-4462-888E-14E99421536E_zpsjry5zwfc.jpg

He's a nice 6pt, and she is thrilled. I am too!

Here's a picture of her and I with her deer:

91D78CAA-B811-4830-9AE0-AD11D0CCF09F_zpsfjqvgugv.jpg

Now I get to go skin the kid's deer, and of course the cape/head are going to a taxidermist. That's two mounts this year (her buck and my mule deer buck). This is getting costly! :lol:

Very proud of her...she held off on a buck and a shot she wasn't sure of, and was rewarded with a better shot on a bigger buck. She stuck it out through the chilly weather when she was starting to want to go in. She made a great shot to cap it off, and she'd cranked in a fresh round but was struggling to get on a running deer. (That's why her "guide" had a rifle, lol.)

This kid's turning into one heck of a hunter before my very eyes.

I'll do a more thorough post-mortem while skinning, but I know that she hit him dead on exactly where I wanted her to, and when I dressed the deer, his heart flopped open like a book. If she'd hit him a half inch higher, the heart would have been in two pieces.

She was shooting a 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2350-2400fps at the muzzle. It seems to be quite deadly.

Nicely done Megan, congratulations on a dandy buck.

JD338

Congratulations, Megan. That is a dandy deer. She is definitely showing some excellent ethics. Just a great job, Dad.

Remnants of the bullet, found lodged in the hide on the far side from the hit....

6D777148-AA44-4CAD-A694-32C5A67BBCED_zps7okugwxb.jpg

And I have to give her the full measure of credit. Upon skinning the deer, while she and I were positive I'd shot and knocked the deer down, no other bullet wound channels were found. So.... she did it all herself!

Way to go Megan! The 7mm WSM with Noslers is a sure thing!

That 120 is so danged thick jacketed.. Seems like a tough Bullet to beat for deer hunting. Pretty healthy bunch of penetration.

Congrats to her. She is tearing it up!

Congratulations to Megan and Dad for being a great father. The future of our sport is with sons AND daughters. Girls hunting turn into mothers that encourage and support their children in the outdoors.

Thank you all. She's a great kid. I just nudge her here and there and she runs with it.

As for the bullet, I'd have liked it to not separate, but it did the job well. The only added thing I could ask for would have been an exit wound.

I was worried about recoil, but she was more than ok with what this load generates. I might be happier with a Partition, but I guess then I'd have to jump up to a 140.

I have to give the bullet it's due.... she broke a shoulder and hit ribs on both sides of the chest. The heart was cleaved in two and the lungs were about half gone.

tddeangelo":15tg5ye3 said:
Thank you all. She's a great kid. I just nudge her here and there and she runs with it.

As for the bullet, I'd have liked it to not separate, but it did the job well. The only added thing I could ask for would have been an exit wound.

I was worried about recoil, but she was more than ok with what this load generates. I might be happier with a Partition, but I guess then I'd have to jump up to a 140.

I have to give the bullet it's due.... she broke a shoulder and hit ribs on both sides of the chest. The heart was cleaved in two and the lungs were about half gone.

A good shot placed where it belongs and a bullet that maintains integrity results in venison in the freezer. Couldn't get much better.

"I have to give the bullet it's due.... she broke a shoulder and hit ribs on both sides of the chest. The heart was cleaved in two and the lungs were about half gone."

THAT should be about all the advertisement a BT needs...And I will stick by my "deadly schrapnel" theory. Very cool young lady, good shooting as well! Congrats to you both. CL

I think what has me a little flummoxed is that I've shot a couple deer with my 270 with 150gr BT's, and to be honest, they made very Partition-like wound channels. I have em moving fast, too.....2960fps at the muzzle.

Both deer went about 75-125 yards, somewhere in there.

Weird.

Back