2020 Hunting Pictures

Yes, I did get to use my 338x28Nosler. I found a load with 85.2gr of RL26 pushed the 265ABLR to 2930FPS and into .75" at 100 yards(6" at 800 yards). Hit the bull the high in the shoulder at about 20 degree down angle. The bull took 2 steps and nose dived. The bullet took out all the clock works and was found just under the hide on the far side - excellent performance! I love it when you don't have to track in the rain. Thanks for making great brakes; I can shoot this all day and not get beat up. It has over 5000lbs of energy at the muzzle. A true hammer.

Scott,

Congratulations on your bull, he is a dandy. I too am impressed with the 265 gr ABLR's ballistics and terminal performance. Post a picture of the recovered bullet when you can.

JD338

I shot a mule buck Oct 24 at 4 degrees and windy at sunup over the hay bales at 220 yards.
I have a pre WWII Mosin Nagant I added a Bartlein barrel in 25 Krag Ackley with 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with 47.5 gr IMR-4451 making 3031 fps over the chrono. The Swavourski 3x10 was down at 3x and I was resting the rifle on a steel fence post, not the bipod.

Attachments

• Mosin and buck 2020 Capture.JPG
    Mosin and buck 2020 Capture.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 4,549
An interesting rifle chambered in an interesting cartridge. Looks as if that worked well for you. Congratulations on your mulie.

muleman":2cm1zmbs said:
Yes, I did get to use my 338x28Nosler. I found a load with 85.2gr of RL26 pushed the 265ABLR to 2930FPS and into .75" at 100 yards(6" at 800 yards). Hit the bull the high in the shoulder at about 20 degree down angle. The bull took 2 steps and nose dived. The bullet took out all the clock works and was found just under the hide on the far side - excellent performance! I love it when you don't have to track in the rain. Thanks for making great brakes; I can shoot this all day and not get beat up. It has over 5000lbs of energy at the muzzle. A true hammer.

Good deal. It's always fun to get to use a new toy on game.

a couple guys I've hunted with before asked me to join them for a deer hunt in N.Carolina . we used to hunt together fairly often at a different outfitter. that guy closed up . they followed the one guide to a new outfitter .it was a tough hunt this week in N. Carolina . first couple days was way to warm for this time of year , 80*+ temps , cooling to upper 50's to low 60's over night . I also think the bucks were locked up with the does . Wednesday afternoon tropical storm Eta was starting to pour the rain on us . the rain let up , a doe came out, shortly after this buck showed up and offered me the shot . the rain started again right at the shot . I had a very short tracking job , about 30 or 40 yards , it was hard to find blood with all the rain . he looks to be blind in his right eye . it had a bad look and a lot of puss crud around it . I called the hunt Thursday , and headed home . we had 7.5" of rain in about 16 hours , with 3 or 4 more inches to come . places were loosing power , roads were being closed , schools were closed . rain was coming around the storm door and under the heavy door on to the floor where we stayed , both front and back doors . the areas we hunt were flooded . 2 guys stayed to try and hunt Friday morning .

it's a good 6 point , I guess you could call it a 7 . it weighed 150 pounds .
P1010963.JPG

P1010964.JPG

Excellent. Congratulations. Glad you were able to connect despite the increasingly adverse conditions.

Nice looking bucks fellas. Congratulations

JD338

Now, that is a beautiful picture! Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Clarkma":3hi5iw6b said:
I shot a mule buck Oct 24 at 4 degrees and windy at sunup over the hay bales at 220 yards.
I have a pre WWII Mosin Nagant I added a Bartlein barrel in 25 Krag Ackley with 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with 47.5 gr IMR-4451 making 3031 fps over the chrono. The Swavourski 3x10 was down at 3x and I was resting the rifle on a steel fence post, not the bipod.

That round has always intrigued me. I suppose because I would like to see it in a Krag and because its a .25. Sounds really cool. Nice buck too! CL

Yesterday was the NYS gun season opener. About 11:15 AM this buck came to check out some does that were hanging out on a ridge about 225 yards from my stand.

The shot was about 228 yards up hill. The bullet entered the lower left shoulder and exited the upper right shoulder. He made a few jumps and ended up about 44 yards downhill from where he stood when I shot.

Trail camera photo:

I__00066.JPG

The buck had broken his brow tines off. Since there were bark shaving all around his antler bases I am assuming that he broke them rubbing on trees.

Here is the after photo:

DSCN1001.JPG

The rifle is a left handed Win. M70 chambered in 7mmRM. The rifle had been accuratized and customized by Master Engraver and Gun Smith Joe Seeley of Campbell, NY.

The load was:

Once fired Norma brass
Fed GM215M primer
67.0 gr. Reloder 23
150 gr. Nosler BT
.040" jump to lands
Muzzle velocity of 3060 fps.

Here are a couple bucks I called in during the TN muzzle loading season. Story of the hunt is in the Hunting section under "I just love it when a plan comes together."

IMG_0250 (2).JPG

IMG_0245 (3).JPG

Back