2022 Pa bear season recap

It is great to see PA producing such bears. It indicates a strong ecosystem. A six- or seven-hundred pound black bear is a bruiser. Such a brute would be able to give a mountain grizzly a bit of a run for the money. I recall running across some big blackies. The largest I ever witnessed appeared that he would be a seven foot bear weighing 650 pounds plus. I really didn't have a good shot, so he disappeared into the bush to live another day. I've certainly seen a number of bruins that would easily weigh five hundred pounds plus.

Yep some good ones. Those 6, 7, and pushing 800 lbs are a whole different animal in size and mass than what I've seen.

The N.C. coastal bears run very large and there's a lot of them. PA definitely has some pockets of brutes that gives that area a run for it's money.

Occasionally there is a bear killed over 500lbs pushing 600 here in WV but not real common that I've read or heard. About the biggest that I have seen was a guestimate of 300-350lbs, but I didn't have any scales with me :LOL: Dan.

yes , N.Carolina gets some big bears too . probably more than Pa does .

it's been a while, my buddy got a good one . I forget the weight . I want to say high 500's . it sure filled the truck bed up . my buddy is not a little guy , he probably goes 350 . he has a full mount in the house . it's really big in there .

dougs bear.jpg

dougs bear 3.jpg

Occasionally there is a bear killed over 500lbs pushing 600 here in WV but not real common that I've read or heard. About the biggest that I have seen was a guestimate of 300-350lbs, but I didn't have any scales with me :LOL: Dan.
they are pretty much isolated to corn fields, hell they walk it off in the mountains, a huge one here is 350 unless he spends all fall in a cornfield.

Back