2023 Hunting Season

Here's some action from my spring bear hunt here in Canada. One shot with the old 7x57 with 173gr S&B ammo. At 2370 fps. 100 yards, bear dropped at the shot but got back up and made it 20 yards, letting out a death moan. Bear squared 5'9", not my biggest but a good example of color phased black bear. Double lung. Bullet exited. No complaints from the 7x57.

LFX373A.jpg

vf9vBWK.jpg
Beautiful color on your bear congratulations!

This weekend I had the time to take out my 13 year old niece bear hunting. Ended up with a beautiful chocolate black bear. Squaring 7 foot. She shot it with a 243 win, 100 grain corelokt. 150 yards. Hit the rear lungs, clean pass through. Dropped on the spot. She and I couldn't be happier for her first bear and big game kill. Had her practicing last summer paid off! Sent the bear off to the taxidermist for a half body mount. The skull looks very promising in size, looking forward to get a measurement.

The 243 performance sure impressed me!

mG4GC7k.jpg

Though I've never used a 243 on bears, I've witnessed several killed with 243. You are correct, the kills were impressive. Congratulations to the young lady. She definitely tagged a trophy. Beautiful colouration on that bruin.

This weekend I had the time to take out my 13 year old niece bear hunting. Ended up with a beautiful chocolate black bear. Squaring 7 foot. She shot it with a 243 win, 100 grain corelokt. 150 yards. Hit the rear lungs, clean pass through. Dropped on the spot. She and I couldn't be happier for her first bear and big game kill. Had her practicing last summer paid off! Sent the bear off to the taxidermist for a half body mount. The skull looks very promising in size, looking forward to get a measurement.

mG4GC7k.jpg
Congrats to your niece on a fine looking bear👍. That’s quite the snout on it.

mG4GC7k.jpg
Beauty of a bear. I'm impressed with using the .243. Looks like it worked like a charm.

mG4GC7k.jpg
Congratulations to your niece and to you on a great bear. I bet she is smiling. Kudos to you for coaching and guiding her.

So far I’m not doing so good on my hunt draws: Not successful for Wyoming elk; No joy for Oregon Antelope and Mule deer; I did draw Oregon elk and a Montana deer tag. Always seem to get those two, go figure. Still waiting for Wyoming deer and antelope and Montana lope.

Fingers crossed for you Don.
We are also awaiting the WY Antelope draw on 6/15.

JD338

my Kansas hunt has taken a twist . one guy out of our group didn't draw . he is going anyways , he'll be another set of eyes . he can sit and watch what's going on in another spot , and keep us clued in . the big thing is , we lost our lease . this year we will be hunting public walk in hunting land .

Here's another decent black bear I shot over the weekend. Tagged out faster than i expected. Two bears within two weeks (weekend hunts). 180 yard shot with the 8x57 180gr Barnes TSX loaded to 2780 fps. Double shoulder/lung shot. Dropped at the shot. Clean pass through with good entry and exit holes. Great preformance from the old 8mm. Bear turned out to square 6'.

F0jqluz.jpg

Back