2023 Hunting Season

Thunder and drizzle all day yesterday, but they were “talkative”. At least three different Toms, talking back, but they stayed just out of sight. Finally the last 20 mins of legal hours and he came in and hung up about 45 yards out only giving me glimpses through a bush. Finally he hopped up on a log and That was the end for him. The 3” longbeard XR #5 did the job. Smaller Tom with 5” beard. The Zebrano crystal call got them talking. Thank goodness I had my shooting stick, I held a bead for probably 3 minutes, without the stick I would have been pretty shakey. View attachment 19850
Howie,
Congratulations on a nice Tom. Definitely a well earned trophy. Those Winchester Long Beard #5's hammer those birds.
Nicely done.

JD338

Congratulations on a nice Tom. Definitely a well earned trophy. Those Winchester Long Beard #5's hammer those birds.
Nicely done.

JD338
Thanks, yep those shells really are hard to beat. I was surprised how far/tight they shoot in that Mossberg 535 Turkey Thug, it only has a 20” barrel. It is not a fun gun to shoot! Loud as heck and kicks like a howitzer. I took the front bead off my Win XSP to install a set of fiber optic sights and the front one got banged up, and naturally I can’t remember where I put the bead, so had to carry the mossy, but it got the job done.

Well I'm batting 500 so far; drew deer in Montana: still pending on Antelope and Elk.
Wyoming just let me know I'll be getting my money back for my Elk application.
Antelope and deer still pending in Wyoming, sounds like a good year not to draw do to winter kill.
Oregon elk, deer and Antelope are submitted. Draw is June 12. Odds are long for Mule deer and Antelope, Should draw elk.

WY sent me a refund for my moose tag. We are awaiting draw results for WY Antelope in July.

JD338

Thunder and drizzle all day yesterday, but they were “talkative”. At least three different Toms, talking back, but they stayed just out of sight. Finally the last 20 mins of legal hours and he came in and hung up about 45 yards out only giving me glimpses through a bush. Finally he hopped up on a log and That was the end for him. The 3” longbeard XR #5 did the job. Smaller Tom with 5” beard. The Zebrano crystal call got them talking. Thank goodness I had my shooting stick, I held a bead for probably 3 minutes, without the stick I would have been pretty shakey. View attachment 19850
Congratulations on a fine bird. That longbeard XR ammo is great stuff. It "sounds like" your call is really produceing for you. Dan

Here's some action from my spring bear hunt here in Canada. One shot with the old 7x57 with 173gr S&B ammo. At 2370 fps. 100 yards, bear dropped at the shot but got back up and made it 20 yards, letting out a death moan. Bear squared 5'9", not my biggest but a good example of color phased black bear. Double lung. Bullet exited. No complaints from the 7x57.

LFX373A.jpg

vf9vBWK.jpg

Here's some action from my spring bear hunt here in Canada. One shot with the old 7x57 with 173gr S&B ammo. At 2370 fps. 100 yards, bear dropped at the shot but got back up and made it 20 yards, letting out a death moan. Bear squared 5'9", not my biggest but a good example of color phased black bear. Double lung. Bullet exited. No complaints from the 7x57.

LFX373A.jpg

vf9vBWK.jpg
Nicely done! I am even more imprpessed with the rifle!

LFX373A.jpg

vf9vBWK.jpg
Outstanding!

proYR2F.jpg

QNiBneZ.jpg

man those 3.5" nitro 2 5/8 oz loads let ya know when they go off!
Yes they are a menace. I had to give up using them in the ulra-light Mossberg turkey thug because you had to wait for your eyes to roll back to the front to see if you hit anything 😂 the Winchester XSP is better, but still pretty brutal.

LFX373A.jpg

vf9vBWK.jpg
Excellent job! Congratulations on a great looking bear! And the old 7x57 is as capable as ever.

LFX373A.jpg

vf9vBWK.jpg
Handsome bruin. Congratulations.

LFX373A.jpg

vf9vBWK.jpg
Nics color phase bear and that rifle is a real beauty, congratulations on both.

JD338

Back