.22-250 loads?

madman

Beginner
Nov 22, 2004
I just got a new .22-250 and wonder if you guys would share your favorite loads. It's a Weatherby Super Varmintmaster.... I thought a 50gr ballistic tip at about 3800 would be a lot of fun.

--md

I'll look weight wise when I get home, but I use
Viht N-140
Used a lot of 50gr B-tips, but actually switched to the 55gr Blitzking
" In My Opinon " they are more explosive with consistant results.
Accubonds for everything else............
Hey.....Speaking of which....???? Hmm Hmm

35g of IMR-4895 w/40g vmax gives me 4100fps and shoots in the .3's at 100 yards out of my dads Ruger Target rifle. I also have a load with 52g SMK but I forget right off hand. Your choice of 50g is a good one. My dad took this rifle Pdog shooting couple years back and those 40s got blown all over heck. They wack coyotes allright out to about 200-250, but unless you get a solid hit, they'll be runnin. I am going to work up a load with 55g btips and IMR-4895 here in a couple days. Hopefully get 3600-3700fps with .5" accuracy or better. Would be a great coyote load.

700 VLS 22-250
50 gr BT
36.0 grs Varget
W-W case
Federal GM210M primers
shoot in the .5s

JD338

Remington 700VLS
6X18 Leupold VXIII
50 grain Nosler Ballistic Silvertip
37.0 grains Varget
W-W Brass
F210M
(5) shots .23"

Great on coyotes! (38) year to date. 80-421 yards.

Jerry Lowery
Bend, Oregon

I'm starting to see a trend here. Varget appears to be the powder of choice. Any other favorites out there?

--Mark

I got this group with 35.5g Vihta Vouri N-150 w/ a 50g Hornady V-max with a 1 in 10 twist barrel. The BT is very close in shape and dimension to the V-max. It's .3585" center to center
group.jpg

The thing is my load may not group (or even be safe) in your gun. There are way to many variables, such as chamber dimensions, barrel length and barrel diameter just to name a few. Here is a method my dad taught me about learning the barrel harmonics for a particuar bullet in your gun.

When a cartridge ignites and the bullet moves down the barrel the barrel starts to vibrate. If you could watch the end of the barrel as it vibrates it will stop momentatilly at the top and bottom of the vibration. This is the time you want the bullet to exit the barrel as it (the barrel) is moving the slowest. If the bullet exits in the middle the movement, the barrel is moving the fastest (the worst time). In a rifle with a free floated barrel, two main variables affect the vibration and time of bullet exit. The bullet weight and the velocity. This is why a rifle "likes" certain loads . Those of us who hand load vary our loads to find that "sweet spot" My Dad taught me a trick before he passed 2 years ago. It is a bit tedious but will save a lot of time in the long run if you approach it scientfically. The way he showed me to find the sweet spot is to load a group of cartridges using the same bullet and powder in .2 to .5 grain increments (depending on the volume of the case). eg 50g Ballistic tip and 36.0g, 36.2g, 36.4g ...of my powder of choice until I get to 10% of max load (ONE ROUND PER CHARGE WEIGHT). Then fire them in order from lowest load to highest, noteing where each bullet strikes on the target and the powder charge of that load. (A good spotting scope is essential or you'll get a lot of exercise walking back and forth to the target to note where EACH hits). The shots will USUALLY string vertically on the target, but you will find some will "bunch" together. e.g. 36.4 36.6 and 36.8 land close to each other then they start to string again. If you have a wide enough spread in powder charges you may even find 2 or 3 bunches. If you pick the load in the middle of those bunches you'll have very close to the most accurate combo for THAT BULLET, POWDER PRIMER AND CASE. Change ANY one and you'll have to start over. If you are really anal then start varing .1 grain within the clustering charges to further refine the load. Hope this helps.

Thats also known as the OCW method I believe, or close to it. I totally agree on finding the load that way. I usually start by doing 1g increements, then get it down to .5g, then go either way .2g or so. Seems to work for me and saves some time at the bench. SOmetimes I get lucky and find a load the first trip out.

Back