22-250 Most Fur Friendly?

Bob in TX

Handloader
Dec 3, 2004
I was wondering what bullet you suggest as the most fur friendly out of the 22-250 and what velocity you recommend? I know that the 22-250 is not fur friendly by nature. I personally have had the best luck with the 50 gr. BT and the 60 gr. Partition along with Sierra's 55 gr. #1365 BTSP. The BT's seem to do well as long as you don't get a shoulder shot that blows up on impact. Shot placement is critical.

I was just curious as to y'alls experience and the feedback you have gotten.

Bob

Bob,

I shoot a M700LVS in 22-250 with the 50 gr BT, 36.0 grs Varget for a MV of 3700+fps (according to Nosler 3794 fps).
I have always got a nickel size exit hole on broad side lung shots, dropping the coyote where they stand. So far I have been lucky and not hit the shoulder!
Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

JD338

If you hit them in the shoulder, our BT's probably are not fur friendly.

Our 60gr PT has had a good response from people as long as your barrel stabilizes them.

Thanks for the feedback. My 22-250 has a 1:12 twist so it handles the 60 gr. PT's just fine. I don't shoot them in the shoulder either, but I have seen a bunch of 'em shot that way. I have only shot 1 coyote so far with the PT's, but it dropped in it's tracks and had a quarter size exit.

Bob

Here he is:
bcpossecoyte.jpg

Bob,

Congratulations on a fine looking coyote.
I have been thinking of trying the 60 gr PT in my 22-250. What is your load and how does it shoot?

Regards,

JD338

JD338,

I am using 36.5 grs. H-380 with WLR primers and Winchester brass. This load gets about 3400 fps. and shoots MOA for me.

Good Hunting,

Bob

My 22-250 is always my go to round for yote's. Unfortunately I like the 55gr BlitzKings better. I'd have to look again, but belive velocity is 3700fps or so and it's very rare that I get an exit hole.

Back