22-250 & neck resizing or full length sizing????

Buckslam007

Beginner
Oct 25, 2005
I plan on reloading a 22-250 this year and was wondering about reloading dies, should i purchase the full length resizing dies or neck sizing dies? what are the advatages/disadvantages?

Just my opinion, but I would opt for the Redding Delux Die Set that has both, a full length sizer and a neck sizer along with the seating die.

That way you can have the best of both worlds.

If getting only one or the other sizing die, I would have to recommend the full length sizer.
You can do a good job of only partial sizing with most full length sizer dies. You can size the neck and only part of the body of the case by backing those dies out a little.

For the best of neck sizing you need a dedicated neck sizer die. Some rifles respond to neck sizing and some do not.

Again, I would not be without a full length sizer. What if your buddy gives you some 22-250 brass he shot in his rifle? It may or not fit in your gun unless you full length size it. And sooner or later neck sized brass will become a little tough to chamber unless they are full lenth sized on occasion. And what if you wind up with a second 22-250 rifle down the road some time? You would most likely have to keep your brass segregated for the two rifles if only doing neck sizing.

I was FL resizing my cases, bu tI was having to trim after 2 loadings. Now I am neck sizing, maintaing sub 1/2 MOA groups and have not trimmed after last 4 loadings. Actually, the cases are not stretching at all, about 0.001 after four firings. FWIW, I am shooting 52/53 SMKs and AMAX from 3700 to 4000 fps with no downsides. Well, my throat may disagree! :lol:

For a varmint gun, I would almost recomend neck sizing. You will get better accuracy, and longer case life. As long as you dont get the cases mixed up and shoot in each others guns, (if you have another 22-250) but you might wanna check each and every individual case to make sure it fits in the gun. I do this for my .222 Rem. I have got groups that measure .07" and lots in the low .1's. Like another poster said as well, I haven't needed to trim in over 5 firings.

In my experience I neck size with a FL die, most books tell you how to do this, and it has always worked for me. as for brass lasting a long time, try an ackley imp.

My most accurate rifle is a .22-250 on a Savage 110 action with a 24" Hart SS Varmint barrel. It shoots in the .2"s with the Nosler 50 and 55gr. Bal.Tips. With the 50gr. I use IMR4064 36.0gr. which gives me 3700fps. For the 55gr. I use IMR4064 34.1gr. for a MV of 3500fps. I use the Redding NS bushing dies, and size only about a third of the neck. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I would buy the Redding body die, type "S" neck bushing die and the competition seater from Forster.Rick.

Back