.22 centerfires legal for deer? Where?

You're good to go with a .22 cal centerfire in Idaho. If you want to stay 200 yds and in, I'd recommend hunting northern Idaho for whitetail. Mulies in south and SE Idaho are often a bit further than your range with that rifle.

I've been on the lookout for a good Savage 99 for a while now (.243 or .308) for a project, and have run across a couple of the Highpowers -- pretty cool little rifles. (Also ran across a 99 in a .303 Savage with a serial number suggesting it was #5 off the line -- a little pricey, but tempting all the same.) Still looking for the right project rifle.

Erdyalx,
I am not sure. I can not find any determination regarding species in the Regs.
But, it would be safe to check it out before actually toting a 22 centerfire.

Camo

erdyalx":b3b7f90x said:
They are legal in Idaho and work well. Unless the Regs have changed in Oregon since 2012. You can only use 22 centerfires on, cougar, bear and deer in the west side of the Cascade mountains.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The only deer I have taken with a .22 center fire was in Idaho, ancillary to a coyote hunting expedition. He came in (mature mule deer buck) to see what the calling was all about. Using 55 grain PSP bullets he walked away, (a long way) with two in his right shoulder. A couple of miles later I recovered him. Better bullets might have helped.

Your idea may give new purpose to the 22Nosler.

I've been shooting a 22-243, 8 twist, for some time now. Always thought about taking a whitetail with it but just never followed through. With an 80gr bullet at 3,500 ft/sec whitetails should drop pretty quickly.

maverick2":17zd8avk said:
You're good to go with a .22 cal centerfire in Idaho. If you want to stay 200 yds and in, I'd recommend hunting northern Idaho for whitetail. Mulies in south and SE Idaho are often a bit further than your range with that rifle.

I've been on the lookout for a good Savage 99 for a while now (.243 or .308) for a project, and have run across a couple of the Highpowers -- pretty cool little rifles. (Also ran across a 99 in a .303 Savage with a serial number suggesting it was #5 off the line -- a little pricey, but tempting all the same.) Still looking for the right project rifle.

I can vouch for the 99 in a 308win is a sweet rifle. I have a friend with the 303 Savage. It's pretty much a 30-30. Also, they are difficult to find brass for. Also..this is ugly, some 303's have a 310 bore vs a 308. The ones at 310, the word is stick to lead. On the other have a Savage 300 runs closer to 308win speeds at 2600 and change.

(You want the 308win). If you pick up a 303 Savage, check with me as I'm helping a guy work up loads in 308 caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie-NY":1871cfmz said:

I've been shooting a 22-243, 8 twist, for some time now. Always though about taking a whitetail with it but just never followed through. With an 80gr bullet at 3,500 ft/sec whitetails should drop pretty quickly.

Charlie are 22 centerfires legal in NY? Been awhile since I have looked.

mjcmichigan":q63kfhwf said:
maverick2":q63kfhwf said:

I can vouch for the 99 in a 308win is a sweet rifle. I have a friend with the 303 Savage. It's pretty much a 30-30. Also, they are difficult to find brass for. Also..this is ugly, some 303's have a 310 bore vs a 308. The ones at 310, the word is stick to lead. On the other have a Savage 300 runs closer to 308win speeds at 2600 and change.

(You want the 308win). If you pick up a 303 Savage, check with me as I'm helping a guy work up loads in 308 caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer -- I may take you up on .308 load info when I start loading again. (I've already got one 99 in .308 that my daughter has recently laid claim to. (I've never handloaded for it though.) I'm looking for a 99 in .308 or .243 that I can turn into a .358 so I have a brush gun again since my previous brush gun has an apparent new owner and I have to ask to use it LOL...

SJB358":3avow3bl said:
Charlie-NY":3avow3bl said:

I've been shooting a 22-243, 8 twist, for some time now. Always though about taking a whitetail with it but just never followed through. With an 80gr bullet at 3,500 ft/sec whitetails should drop pretty quickly.

Charlie are 22 centerfires legal in NY? Been awhile since I have looked.

I don't believe so. Oddly enough, I regularly hunt in several states and outside of the country but do not hunt in NYS. Haven't bought a license or reviewed the regs here in many years. :roll:

Legal in Texas as well. Used 223 and 222 as well as a 22-250 on these little whitetail.

A few hundred mile drive south into SW Oregon and that old 22 high power would work fine for Trophy Black tail, Cougar, Bear. All at the same time. All over the counter tags. It shames me to publish the cost for a non resident. Buy an upland license and bring the shotgun for several different birds. Dove/Quail/Grouse. Even waterfowl if you buy the waterfowl endorsement. .22 rimfire is legal for grouse. Looks like general Bear will not have a non resident tag Quota in the future.

I've used the 220 Swift ( 55gr Trophy Bonded) and .224 TTH ( 70 Swift Scirocco) in Utah and Texas.

Can use ANY centerfire in PA. No minimum bore diameter. Just needs to be center fire and not rim fire.

Using the 22 - 60PT I have taken one Whitetail buck in Idaho - 315yds behind shoulder. The buck staggered 20yds and tipped over. Found a "perfect" PT mushroom in the hide on the off shoulder. Another, a buddy shot was about 150yds and it just piled up. Again that PT mushroom. These were with a 22-250.

Back