22 Creedmoor

This thread is getting my blood pumping. I'm waiting on the action, reamer, and suppressor to get out of jail. Have a bunch of Alpha brass, 200 88gr. ELDM, 24" proof 1:7, and a MDT LSS sitting on the shelf. I plan on going with the 88gr ELDM just because I know they'll expand on yotes and maybe someday an antelope. I plan on starting with RL-26 as well. I went with a 7 twist so I can go up a bit if I ever decide to need it. After seeing your results, a guy may have to take a hard look at the 95 as well.

That is a fine looking (and apparently damn good shooting) rig. Nice work!

Took it out Saturday, this rifle consistently impressed me every time I shoot it.

00ee1507d943c92a7d696be5cca591bf.jpg

I’m looking forward to this summer when u can take it out and really do some steel pounding at 500-1200 yards.

That elite iron bipod is excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t really want another 22 cal, but this thread has impressed me a lot. Pretty impressive round.

Any idea what a 22 creedmoor will do with a 50gr or 55gr bullet? It's gotta be pushing 4000fps+?

Toast a barrel in a thousand rounds! You can run 75s 3500+ pretty easily in the 22 creedmoor, I don’t know what could be gained by going lighter. You’d likely have the bullet come apart in the air as most 22 creedmoor are twisted 1-8 or faster.

A 55gr e-tip isnt going to come apart. Let's say it's a 14 twist barrel anyways. Let's also say that I don't care if the barrel is toast in 1000 shots. I haven't seen any load data for lighter bullets and I'm really curious. As a coyote rifle, 1000 rounds is a long life.

Load data for light bullets is easy. Just use 223 WSSM LOAD DATA. The creed and wssm have same capacity. Just start with WSSM starting loads and work up.

Thebear_78":27k1sv8z said:
Load data for light bullets is easy. Just use 223 WSSM LOAD DATA. The creed and wssm have same capacity. Just start with WSSM starting loads and work up.

That's interesting. Thanks, I didn't know that. Looks like it's about 100-150fps faster than a 22-250 AI.

desertcj":22z1e7oz said:
Thebear_78":22z1e7oz said:
I’ve tried the 80gr ELDX and 75gr amax. The BC of these 95gr SMK are just too hard to pass up.

The ballistics are impressive for a .22 cal. My biggest question with those 95gr smk is how is the expansion?

Why? They are NOT a game bullet so who cares?

FOTIS":2vwdekx5 said:
desertcj":2vwdekx5 said:
Thebear_78":2vwdekx5 said:
I’ve tried the 80gr ELDX and 75gr amax. The BC of these 95gr SMK are just too hard to pass up.

The ballistics are impressive for a .22 cal. My biggest question with those 95gr smk is how is the expansion?

They will easily handle any game animal I will ever send one at. This rifle isn’t one I ever intent to hunt with. Paper and steel are the intended quarry.

Exactly, the way I envisioned the 22 creed. Fox badger coyotes paper and steel.

FOTIS":33ruypru said:
desertcj":33ruypru said:
Thebear_78":33ruypru said:

You still want expansion on a coyote?

I'm considering this caliber for my next build.

I know most are going with a short action. Make sense to build on a long action to take advantage of more room with the longer bullets?

No real reason to use long action. There is plenty of room for even the longest .224 bullets and still comfortably fit in a short action.

I see no reason for a long action. These are 88gr. ELDM loaded to 2.685". I have plenty of room left in the mag. This length puts the base of the boat tail at the neck/shoulder junction. FYI, a non VLD seating stem will make small indents on the bullet. Switched to a VLD style and the rings went away.
20190311_173612_resized.jpg
20190311_173603_resized.jpg

Back