.223 Load Recomendations ????

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
I've been on the fence of trading or getting rid of my Rem 700 VTR in .223 since I've not seen the results that I would like.
One of the biggest reasons I purchased the VTR was because of the 1:9 twist in a bolt action rifle - hopefully would allow me to shoot the 70gr VLD's.....
Well, after having the bolt issue resolved now with sako extractor and bushed firing pin I'm starting to get too deep into it to trade.... maybe I'm expecting too much from it, but IMO it should shoot 3/4in or preferably better.
I've shot 70gr VLD's, 60, 55, 50, 40gr B-tips, 55gr B-kings & 52gr SMK's The 52gr SMK's were my last resort, as I figured no matter the case, I could get them to shoot.

So far, my best luck has been with the 60gr BT's - The rifle will group two or three basically cutting the same hole and then throw one an inch out. In all fairness, I did attempt to bed the plastic fantastic stock, as the barrel was hanging to the left side really hard - the bedding job / sanding a lot has not done real well on getting the barrel off the side of the stock and keeping the cosmetics good.

With all that said, I purchased a Leupy Mark AR 6 X 18 yesterday for it, and soon to place it in a B&C light tactical stock.

Question is - what load recomendations are out there for the heavier bullets ? I really dont' want to use any under 55gr, I have nosler brass ready to go :grin:
CCI BR primers - powders on hand ( N-140, Varget, IMR 3031, BLC-2, H335, H332, W748, A lot of IMR 4198 that is older and not real sure what we used it for )
Thougts and recomendations greatly appreciated - It's time to go coyote hunting ! :lol:

Attachments

• 223VTR6X18.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 1,827
I have had good luck with 25.0grs H335, 25.5grs H335 and the best is 25.0grs H4895 with 55's. I bet if I kept standing on the H4895 load it would still shoot as well as 25.0grs, it just shoots so good I stopped, it's been consistent in 2 guns a 1/12" and a 1/9", OAL is 2.245".

My first thought is that while you have tried all of those bullets have you tried any different kinds of cases. My 700 shoots 1 1/2 groups with RP cases no matter the bullet. But with 23 gr IMR-3031 a 55 gr. Seirra and WW cases, I am well under an inch. Latest group day before yesterday was .624 at 120 yards. I have not worked hard on overall length yet, that is my next goal

Try changing you bullet length from in the lands to a jump..
H322 and H335 are great powers, primers 205M a good start. Try more than one....
Cases start by resizing new cases, debur flash holes inside cases, true primer pockets and trim the inside and outside
of the end of your brass for seating bullets, by standardize your brass this should reduce end your problem..
Make sure your stock and barrel are free of each other from chamber area forward.
If after this it doesn't shoot you may want to start looking at a new rifle......

I had great luck with Benchmark out of my AR. Was the fasted powder in the book and best three shot group I got was .233" with 40gr BT. Should work well with the 50gr and 55 gr bullets as well. My brother has one of those rifles and is having a hrd time getting it to shoot as well. He is going to bed it to see if it helps.

The guy I buy my guns from has the same rifle, he cut the break off and put a target crown on it, and floated it out, shoots great with 55's and H335.

Hegland,

That is a very fine group there. I should think it would work very well indeed for varmints.

Thanks for the recomendations - hopefully by months end I'll have it restocked and ready
for further load developement. I did purchase a box of 69gr SMK's as well. Hopefully I can
see some consistency in one of the loads and work on tweaking it from there.

Hegland - Great group ! That is what I would expect from most .223's

PGJPJ,

Nice! Ya' gotta' love it when a rifle performs and you worked out the load. Good show.

Mark, if you look at the Hodgdon manual, the powder that generate more velocity on any bullet weight is the BLC-2. You can substitute H335 with it at slightly lower velocity and you're not missing much.

Here's a typical 3 shot group with my Clackamas Kimber 223 Model 82
IMGP3318.jpg

IMGP2356.jpg

3-5 shot group with my 223AI Cooper. This is 50 grain V-Max and BLC-2
Picture138.jpg

Picture001-5.jpg

DF,

That is some enviable shooting with a couple of fine rifles. That Clackamas Kimber makes a fellow want to go out to see what he can find hiding on the used market. I remember they were fine rifles.

That Clackamas Kimber makes a fellow want to go out to see what he can find hiding on the used market. I remember they were fine rifles.
It was a good find Dr. Mike. I can't believe my ear when the guy behind the counter told me that I can have it for $800 - and that includes the Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5X10X50, on a Warne ring and base. You can't believe how fast I pulled my Visa out. My wife rumble a bit when she received the statement in the mail, but I was ready with my explanation. "Honey, my birthday is coming up, so I saved you a headache trying to think what you're going to get me for my birthday". It works. :p

DF -

Great shooting !
I have both those powders and would definately like to get one of them to shoot. I've shy'd away from the 60gr B-tips only because I can't walk in and purchase them. Hope I can get out this weekend with a few recomendations and give it a try.

Back