223 WSSM ACCURACY PROBLEM

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
I have a Win. Mod. 70 shadow in 223 Wssm and I've tried every sort of OAL, powder, bullet style and weight from mildest to hottest loads and the best I can do is 2" at 50 yds. I've never been such a failure. Even the 307 Win. problem finally gave in to OAL. changes. I've put a Rifle Basx trigger in it and it's only a couple of months old with about 50 rounds thrue it. Carefully cleaning after every few rounds. Does anyone else have one of these that's been accurate? Do I have the lemon?
I got so disgusted last night I put it up on Gunbroker. HELP!!!
Elkhunt :(

I bought a new Browning A bolt for 350.00 I thought I had a steal. I bought one bag of new brass and started to reload. I could only get two inch pattern at 100 yards. I finally broke down and bought a box of ammo from sportmans to see if I could improve accuracy. The ammo out of the box shoots 10 inches at 100 yards and thats no joke. I have tried 3 different scopes and like you I am at the end of the rope on this one. I was thinking of bringing it in and get a custom barrel for a 243wssm. Unless someone has a super load that they are willing to share I would be greatly in debt.

Aaron

Laker_Taker

Thanks for the reply. You saved me the cost of a box of factory ammo (my next step) and another box of different bullets to reload. I like the light weight of the rifle but it's not worth the expense to me to try and re-barrel. I'm guessing that either the caliber is too finniky or there was a problem with the barrels. I also noticed that thruout my reloading from lightest to heaviest loads the bolt was very hard to open as if there were pressure problems. I couldn't safely go any lighter in load or bullet (40 gr.) The velocities were in the ballpark of published loads. ??? There's other calibers in other rifles that I know will do better out of the box.
Good Hunting
ELkhunt :grin:

I was recently given a M 70 coyote in 223 wssm. I chose to go with the 55gr. ballistic tip because of the large case capacity and I believe these have a 1-10" twist. For powder I use H 414. When I approached maximum listed charges I also had sticky bolt lift. After backing off a little and playing with OAL I was able to shoot some sub 1" 200yd. groups. I have really tried not to like this cartrigde and only have it because it was a gift. However, after finding a load and shooting prairie dogs with it, I really like its perfomance. I may be lucky because a friend has a rifle like mine and it will almost keep all its shots in a 7" circle at 100 yds. To me a rifle is like a bird dog. It either has it or it don't. Don't waste feed on a lost cause.

Sounds like a good analogy. I've never seen a rifle shoot so consistantly bad. I'm glad you've got a good one.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

ps300wm,
Would you be willing to give the grain weight you were using with H414. I have tried imr4350 and varget using 55 grain bt,vmax,bergers. I am one not to quit but I really don't to buy a pound of h414 and play with it. I have to travel 75 miles one way to the gun range.

Thanks Aaron

I checked OAL with a used cartrige case and a 60 gr. Sierra HP Varminter bullet and It looks like with that load I was tight into the lands. THat was the load that actually was 1 in. at 50 yards. Could be a co-incidence. That could explain the pressure and accuracy problems. (Could but probably won't) I'm going to shorten the OAL up and try again with Varget. It's been good for other loads. If it works I'll give a report . If the rifle doesn't sell first.
I'm beginning to understand why Winchester had to shut their plant down. Good Hunting
Elkhunt :)

Laker
I basically picked H 414 because it is my favorite in my 22-250. For the powder charge I used the new nosler manual. I wound up 0.5 grain below max. If your loading alot of rounds H414 meters great.

Thanks for the info 300. I too shoot a 22-250 and have a favorite load using imr4350 using a 55 grain bt. I think I'm going to pick up a pound of h414 I guess if it doesn't work I could use it for the 22-250.

thank again Aaron

Back