.223 WSSM

beauduke.rose5

Beginner
Jan 21, 2017
Hello all,

I'm new to reloading. I have a .223 WSSM. I have several boxes of Winchester ballistic silver tip ammunition for it. The cases appear to be steel. Can I use these cases for reloading or is it best to buy brass casings for this caliber? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. I wouldn't think these are steel. I imagine they are the brass cases coated to give a "silvery" look. That has been somewhat popular, especially with the WSMs and the WSSMs. Long story short, you will have no problem loading them. Some of the earlier forms flaked zinc which could scratch a die; but that problem doesn't appear with newer brass. I frequently use Winchester brass for my .280, and that brass is silver coloured. To put your mind at ease, test a case with a magnet.

DrMike":3pdlupd3 said:
Welcome aboard. I wouldn't think these are steel. I imagine they are the brass cases coated to give a "silvery" look. That has been somewhat popular, especially with the WSMs and the WSSMs. Long story short, you will have no problem loading them. Some of the earlier forms flaked zinc which could scratch a die; but that problem doesn't appear with newer brass. I frequently use Winchester brass for my .280, and that brass is silver coloured. To put your mind at ease, test a case with a magnet.
Thanks for the advice. I will try it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back