.243 load question.

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Got a quick one was shooting a test group with the .243 95gr BT 35.5 gr of IMR-4895 and shot a .8 inch group in a nice vertical string. Is this because I didn't let the barrel cool enough between shots?

Attachments

• IMAG0064.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 744
Maybe, there are a number of conditions that can cause verticle stringing. Simple shooting mechanics like inconsistent pressure on the forend. Is the barrel free floated or pressure pointed? Then there is the old barrel harmonics issue which gets into bullet seating depth, powder, primer, and yes rate of fire. Good luck.

Haven't played with it much but I will look into all of that. How much time should I let the barrel cool? That is a 700 mtn rifle. I guess a good thing is only .08 inch horizontal deviation so I'm hoping its something easy.

I have only owned one Rem Mountain Rifle, in .280 Rem but it strung vertical 3-shot groups every time I tried it with any load. Maybe others have had better luck?

In my experience when this happens you are very very close to finding your perfect combo. Go up .3 grains on your powder charge and you should be right where you wanna be. This has worked for me. 243 shouldnt heat up too mich shooting 3 shots to cause this. You are close.

Primers can casue stringing also. If nothing like free floating the barrel etc works change primer brand.

Just shot another 2 3 shot groups first shot on both groups is one inch low. Next two shots in each group are one inch low and 2 inches to the left. 2 in 1 out. Taking the gun apart to free float will shoot after done.

Back