25-06 CDL

Thanks Pop. I will call if I run into any issues, you all can be sure of that! I read through the instructions and I have all of the needed equipment and bits so I don't see it being too awfully hard. Scotty

Pillar bedding won't hurt anything, Scotty. You shouldn't have any major snags.

I think it will be a good experience for me. Never done it and it will be a great skill to have I think.

Speaking of Rugers, I have a M77RBZ Laminated Stock with Stainless action that I like alot, but it isn't as consistent as it could be. If the Remington turns out well, that is the next rifle that will get the glass/pillar bed treatment! Heck, might do it to all of my rifles. Pillars and Acragel are cheap and should make them all pretty stable. Might have a tough time messing with my 270WSM and Whelen though, they shoot too good to monkey with! Scotty

Have fun doing the bedding!!! It is not difficult (remember, even I didn't screw it up) and is a good skill to have for future rifles you may want to put in the burn pile after the initial firing :p . Make sure you coat everything well with the release agent.

I machined and inserted the pillars in the CDL today. My only snag was a chip out of the tang when I drilled it! I think I will be able to make it okay, but I was a little irate. Other than that, I used acra gel and inserted the pillars. I turned them down with a lathe and they seemed to work well. I am going to take it apart tomorrow and do the recoil lug. The instructions say to wait 9 hours, so it will be about 15 when I get back to work. Pillars seem like they are the way to go. Bedding the recoil lug is going to be a snap I believe. Sizing and fitting the pillars was a little timely, but I wanted to try and do it right and to the best of my ability. After I get the recoil lug and tang bedded, I will let it set up for a week or so. Then I will take it out and see what it does. Scotty

Scotty,

Excellent! Looking forward to hearing how she shoots once the pillar bedding job is complete.

JD338

Well, everything pulled out of the stock fine this morning. I took the tape off and removed/trimmed any excess. I then retaped and trimmed out the front of the recoil lug and made a dam with clay. Re mold released everything and then put acra gel into the recoil lug area and a smidge on the tang and bolted everything back together. We shall see how it turns out tomorrow, but I like the way it goes together now. Everything is tight and it seems when the action and stock are mated together it seems as if it is one piece! Seems great. We shall see how everything goes tomorrow when I pull it out to take the tape off, trim excess and just clean the hell out of everything. It is a little messy, but for my first time, it seemed okay. I will put everything back together tomorrow after cleaning everything up and let it sit for a 3-5 days. Then get it out to the range.

I ground enough to bed in front of the recoil lug to cover about the 1st 2" of barrel. Hoping I didn't over do it, but it seems like that is about what every said would be fine. Scotty

I was thinking of going down and loading some rounds tonight, not sure if I feel up to it yet, still kinda anxious to pull it apart in the morning to see everything and how it turned out, but if it looks good and cleans up well, I will have a great day! Scotty

beretzs":1j629l8u said:
I was thinking of going down and loading some rounds tonight, not sure if I feel up to it yet, still kinda anxious to pull it apart in the morning to see everything and how it turned out, but if it looks good and cleans up well, I will have a great day! Scotty

Get you butt down there Marine! :evil:

We need to know!

Alright, I pulled it out of the stock this morning, let me say this, it is TIGHT! I mean, I had to have two others assist me from separating the action from the stock. The bedding looks pretty good. I cleaned all of the tape off the rifle and wiped everything down with alcohol. There is still some cleaning to do once it is fully cured, but I didn't want to have the action out of the stock too awfully long. I did wipe/dremel off any excess and cleaned everything I could. I cleaned the action screws and bolted everything back together.

BK. Sorry, I didn't take pictures. I was doing the entire job at work, so my camera was left at home.

If I did it again, I would really just do the pillars and bed the recoil lug. No real need to mess with the tang on a M700. The rear pillar is all the bedding the tang needs and it would be a much cleaner job. Overall, it seems like an easy job and there are plenty of instructions and videos and you all to guide someone through this process. With a minimum of hand tools, it is fairly easy. It should be fully set up by Saturday and if I get my act together, I will load up some more 115's and Retumbo and see what it does. I also have some more of the 100gr Rem Core Lokts left, so I would like to see what those do with it being bedded. Right now, the rifle is sitting under my desk drying. I hope I don't have to take the stock off very often, cause again, it fits tight and it lines up exactly on the pillars. It is great the way it tightens down on the pillars.

On a side note, what do you think for inch lbs to to actually tighten down the screws. They are snugged up pretty decent now, but I would like to be able to tighten them properly, with a torque wrench. I was thinking 50 inch lbs? Scotty

Scotty if you have it both pillar and glass bedded, I don't see why you cannot torque the screws to the inch pounds they use for the synthetic stocks with the aluminum bedding blocks. The problem with the wood before pillar bedding is that the screws over time compress the wood and it doesn't take much to make the screw come loose. Ever wonder why on an unbedded rifle after using it for a season that the screws are loose? Then it does not take much for the action to give in the stock enough that the rear tang screw will slam into the wood in the pistol grip after a few shots, and pretty soon there you have it, a split stock behind the tang screw.

I don't know if I'm brave enough to try doing this on my own, that's why I have my experienced gunsmith buddy do it, but what the heck if you all can do it, I should be able to as well, and save a few dollars at the same time.

Get down there and load mister we all want to see how this thing shoot!! 8)

Scotty,

Sounds like you did an excellent job with the bedding.
Looking forward to the range report.

If you shoot a sub 1/4 MOA group, sell it for top dollar and go buy the M70 Super Grade. :wink:

JD338

Since you have the pillars anything over inch lbs is ok. Is it freefloated?

Back