25-06 CDL

DrMike":3cpfs3p1 said:
Well, I think I'll get this Hawkeye shooting well shortly. I was growing frustrated with its inability to stabilize 250 grain bullets. It was okay with 225 grain bullets. I'll have some work done on it and maybe get it to shooting well. The 358 Hawkeye is a tack driver, which is why I traded off my Remington Classic and bought the Hawkeye. Another bonehead mistake. The 350 RM is a tack driver. I'll wring out the 260 CDL soon. I have about six projects on the go right now (300 WSM in a gain twist barrel, another 300 WSM, a 300 Weatherby, a 308 Norma, a 338 Lapua and a 7 STW). That should keep me busy for a week or two. I really like the looks of that 25-06. I'll really be watching to see how it shoots. Any idea of what you will put on it for a scope if you don't put on the 50mm objective? I'm with you on not being enamoured of the larger objectives on my hunting rifles.

Man, after shooting the Whelen for a few years now, I can't imagine a better bullet than the 250gr Speer Hot Cor/Nosler Partition. Both sport a .446 BC and are built strong. You can push them upwards of 2600FPS pretty easily, without stressing anything. It just seems to really be efficient with the 250's. Shooting out to 300 yards is EASY. Zeroed 3.5 high at 100, puts it about 6" low at 300 and about 16-18 low at 400. Pretty easy to dope. Those bullets would perform excellent at those speeds and should kill like lightning. Sorry for the tangent. Just can't say enough good about the Whelen. I think most folks would be surprised by the cartridge if given a chance. It is so much more than a 30-06 when hunting heavy game and that is saying something. Scotty

beretzs":37tcy4u9 said:
DrMike":37tcy4u9 said:
Well, I think I'll get this Hawkeye shooting well shortly. I was growing frustrated with its inability to stabilize 250 grain bullets. It was okay with 225 grain bullets. I'll have some work done on it and maybe get it to shooting well. The 358 Hawkeye is a tack driver, which is why I traded off my Remington Classic and bought the Hawkeye. Another bonehead mistake. The 350 RM is a tack driver. I'll wring out the 260 CDL soon. I have about six projects on the go right now (300 WSM in a gain twist barrel, another 300 WSM, a 300 Weatherby, a 308 Norma, a 338 Lapua and a 7 STW). That should keep me busy for a week or two. I really like the looks of that 25-06. I'll really be watching to see how it shoots. Any idea of what you will put on it for a scope if you don't put on the 50mm objective? I'm with you on not being enamoured of the larger objectives on my hunting rifles.

Man, after shooting the Whelen for a few years now, I can't imagine a better bullet than the 250gr Speer Hot Cor/Nosler Partition. Both sport a .446 BC and are built strong. You can push them upwards of 2600FPS pretty easily, without stressing anything. It just seems to really be efficient with the 250's. Shooting out to 300 yards is EASY. Zeroed 3.5 high at 100, puts it about 6" low at 300 and about 18-20 low at 400 while carrying 2000ftlbs of energy. Pretty easy to dope. Those bullets would perform excellent at those speeds and should kill like lightning. Sorry for the tangent. Just can't say enough good about the Whelen. I think most folks would be surprised by the cartridge if given a chance. It is so much more than a 30-06 when hunting heavy game and that is saying something. Scotty

Scotty,

The 25-06 CDL is a beauty. As Guy mentioned, the 25-06 and 35 Whelen is all you need for NA. The FX-6 would be perfect for the 25-06.

JD338

Scotty,

I really like the idea of the fixed power scope for that 25-06. I think that would be a great choice. I do find that as I age, however, that I appreciate a little more power, and even then it isn't always enough.

Mike, after writing back and forth with Guy a bit, I think I am going to go with an FX3 6X Leupold with the LR reticle. I am really thinking the FX3 6X will be way more than enough for anything I would need. I really never use more than 6X while hunting, and while more power during load development is nice, I am not really handicapped with a 6X in the least. I hunted the whole first part of my life with the 4X Redfield on my 7mm Rem Mag and it did just fine. I like the simplicity and rugged nature of the set up.

I am like you Scotty in that 6x is plenty of scope and I love them. Every time you pull it up to your shoulder everything looks exactly the same as the last time you did it. There is never a doubt what power you left the scope on in a moment of carelessness and you now jump an elk at 40 yards in the timber and your 4.5x14 is on 14 power! :evil: The fixed powers are ultra rugged and reliable. Less moving parts and other things and less chance gremlins will ruin your day.

As we speak of fixed power scopes, this has happened to me often times and I wonder have any of you ever experienced it. I have a 4x Leupold on my Ruger #1B in 30-06, and 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch groups are pretty much the norm at 100 yards. I shot my sons 6mm with the 4.5 x14x40 mm the other day and shot better groups with it set at 8x then I did when it was set at 14. Not the first time for me that just shooting a fixed or low power optic has resulted in tighter groups. Any thoughts on why that is guys and does it happen to anyone other than just me? :eek:

The higher the power, the greater the mirage and the more pronounced the deviation from centre. I like fixed power, but believe me, as I age, I really appreciate the power ring with higher numbers on some of my shots.

Same here, I usually net my best groups somewhere are 9-10X or so. I think it has something to do with the natural shakes we all have and how we observe the target through a higher power. This is just my swag, but I have also shot some of my best groups with the old 4X Redfield on my 7mm Rem Mag. It is probably in our heads, kinda like the RADD! Scotty

I think a fixed 6x is never a bad choice on a .25-06... peas and carrots. First serious rifle I ever had was a Ruger M77 MkII (bought it the first year they made the MkII) wearing a Weaver K6. I clobbered all manner of critters with that set-up spitting 100 NBTs fuled by 4350. That was back before Bob Dole invented the internet. Once I got on-line I found out that fixed power scopes sucked and you couldn't kill anything bigger than a pomeranian with a NBT. Suddenly stuff started jumping out of my freezer, re-assembeling itself, and running back to the hills! I now prefer the 3-9x to the 6x... but that's simply because a coyote is awful small at 4-5 bills when viewed through 6x glass... and every rifle I own needs to be coyote capable... and coyote proven.

Oh... and Guy is pretty spot on when it comes to tinkering with .25-06 loads... can't go wrong with the 115s, especially when the wind starts to blow. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll drop a dozen or two of the 100 grain E-Tips in the mail for you to try also. I'm just starting to play with them... hopefully I'll let the air out of an elk with one here in a week or two.

Scotty - I was on the verge of having a semi-custom .25-06 built several years ago. Wanted a good looking, mild-kicking, sweet handling rifle capable of 400 yard shots on mule deer, coyotes and the like.

Walked into the local gun shop and there was a brand spanking new 700 CDL, which had just been introduced. Wow... It looked and felt great. Pretty much exactly what I'd considered having built. It was a .270, and I had my heart set on a .25-06, so reluctantly I set it down (great looking rifle) and immediately ordered my own .25-06 700 CDL. It's done everything I've asked, and has turned out to be a great general purpose hunting rifle for me. In .270 it would have been just fine too - but I already had dies, brass & bullets for the .25-06, and really like that cartridge.

I did buy a second one, a .300 RUM, but after a year of messing with it, I was convinced that it wasn't the combo I was looking for. Great cartridge, great rifle - but for me it was too much bang in not enough rifle. I think the .35 Whelen you've got or just a straight .30-06 would be terrific for game bigger than I'm willing to take on with my .25 cal CDL.

What a great rifle. I think it's funny that so many of us are so excited about your new rifle... Sure hope it works out well for you!

Regards, Guy

Here are a couple of pictures of the M700 25-06 CDL with a 2.5x8-36mm VX3 B&C reticle. I robbed the scope off of my 338WM for this rifle. I really couldn't take it anymore. I tried to resist and let it sit, but it wasn't happening. When I shot the 338 the other day, I realized how much I love the scope and figured it might be a good on the 25-06. Anyhow, I put it is Leupold Dual Dovetail Matte Low rings and bases. Seems pretty solid. Scotty

DSC_1239.jpg

DSC_1240.jpg

You have the disease. Too bad. Soon, you'll be acquiring a 264 WM and a 257 Bob and a ... all in CDLs. Sharp looking setup, however.

Nah, I feel pretty good! Never felt better actually. Can't be a disease when you feel this good Mike! I will be happier when I see it shoot. Need to scrub the barrel out a little and see if I can't work up a load that would make me through till later on year, when I have more time with it. Scotty

That looks like a smokin' combo and that 2.5-8 sits great on that rifle! The wood is good looking as well! Have fun burning lead and powder, Scotty!! :wink:

Will do, just prepping some cases right now. I "might" be able to sneak out today. Scotty

Scotty -
Great looking combo you have....hope you get out with it before the season is over with. I am just checking emails and the website before I head back out to the deer stand for the evening.

Okay, just got back from the range and to say I am frustrated is an understatement! I zeroed the rifle at 25 yards. Took two shots to put it on the bull. Easy enough I was thinking. Well, moved back to 100 yards and shot my first controlled 3 round group! It was barely good enough to call it anything. The load was built with 58gr of Retumbo, WW cases, CCIBR2's and 115gr BT's. The case neck was very carboned-smokey, figured wasn't enough pressure to get a good seal. No worries. I cleaned it out and let it cool. Three shots were probably in about a 1ft circle, but in no certain pattern, not a 5" or 10" group, more like three random shots. I then tried 59gr's of Retumbo, This load shot a hair better, but could have been random. The 60gr load showed promise, as I had 2 shots 1" apart, but it seemed to throw the 3rd on a ft low? As I shot, the "groups" got better, but it was relative to the horrible shooting. Nothing should have been that bad. I have NEVER had a rifle shoot like that.

I brought it home, took the scope off, made sure the rings were stress free with the scope. Right now I need to put it away before I burn it up in my smoker. I am really sorry I didn't get a M70 at this point! Feels like I just tossed 700 dollars out the window. Scotty

Hang in there Scotty. It's way too early to tell anything. Clean that baby up really well to remove all the carbon and the copper. Move to a faster powder like IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 and try that. Load within a couple grains of max and start there. Just load three of each. My thoughts are Retumbo is way too slow for your rifle. I always had luck with the two powders mentioned and the 25-06. :grin: :grin:

Thanks GB, I will do that. Hoping something gives, that would be expensive firewood! It is too bad too, cause man, it is a very light recoiling rifle that seems like a pussycat to shoot. Scotty

Scotty I second the thought on the IMR 4831 even RL22 has worked well for me in the past. Have you heard of anyone's results using RL17? I'd be curious if it works well with the 25-06s. I'd like to suggest using magnum primers. Pet Loads had suggested it I believe, that was all I ever used.

Jim

Scotty,

I also think you should try IMR 4831. FWIW, Nosler RG#6 shows IMR 4350 as the most accurate powder. Give them oth a try. Also try loading about .015" off the lands.

JD338

Back