.25-06 do it all?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
11 or 12 years with the .25-06 now. I might be able to figure out if I got in 2004, or 2005. First buck with it was 2005.

I remember missing ONE mule deer and ONE pronghorn in all those years. Everything else was hit, and tagged. A couple did require second shots. Coyotes too...

Much as I like my .30-06 & .375 rifles... And I do... I'm thinking of just hunting everything this year with the .25-06, as it's been so doggone good for me. "Everything" this year will include:

Black bear here in Washington.
Mule deer in Wyoming
Pronghorn in Wyoming
Cow elk in Washington

I've got tags for all those critters, and hunts planned for them in September, October, and November.

With the 115 Nosler Partition, I'm getting a safe 3190 - 3200 fps, with good accuracy. I've always had this rifle zeroed at 300 yards, and have been able to "hold on hair" and make good hits on mule deer even at 400 yards. The 6x Leupold is my favorite hunting scope, hands down. Rifle just feels good to me, and it's been effective as all get out.

Yes, I know the .30-06 700 CDL is almost exactly the same rifle... But... It's not "ol Deer Zapper."

With black bear (300 ish pounds) and cow elk on the menu, am I crazy to stick with my favorite hunting rifle? It sure works well on mule deer & pronghorn. And I'd be swapping from my "Blue Cyclone" 115 Ballistic Tips to the 115 gr Partitions.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Guy

I think you'd be just fine. Shoot straight and get ready to skin something. A buddy of mine has shot something on the order of a dozen moose and countless caribou and black bears with his 25-06. One usually does it.

Can't see you having any problem with that cartridge and those loads, Guy. 'Tis a pity I don't own a 25-06.

Nothing wrong with taking the rifle you shoot best and gives you confidence.

This might put a big dent in my reasoning to own a few hunting rifles bigger than the .25-06 guys... Dang... :grin:

You know- as much as I hate to admit it. I think most standard cartridges between the .25s and the .30s perform so similarly in the field that there's really very little to choose between them. I can't say that I can discern much difference on caribou and deer sized critters with 7-08, .308, 25-06, 270, .308 and the .30-06.

I've knocked a pile of stuff spinning and they all pretty much TKOd right there.

Guy that 115 gr. Partition should work pretty darn well for you even on elk. I shot a spike bull with my wife's 25-06 at 350 yards using the 120 gr. Partition and it worked as expected. A young man who borrowed the rifle and went hunting with my son and I a few years ago got his first elk with one shot at 250 yards.

Hope you take a spare for a backup though just in case of gremlins that sometimes pop up so at least you have another one ready to go "just in case". Best of luck this fall. I just had shoulder surgery so it looks like my fall season is over before it started.

David

I used that 115PT in my first 257 Weatherby (24"bbl) It was in Federal Premium ammo that was available back then ( late 90's) They were only going around 3200, maybe a tad faster, but they were real killers on Texas Exotics! You are proving what I have told lots of folks about the 25-06/257W; unless one has a 26" bbl and loads pretty hot, the 257W has nothing (in the filed) over a 24"bbl, properly loaded 25-06! Now that is not "da--ing with faint praise" as they represent the faster killing 25's "I've ever used". Lots of elk are killed out here in Utah every year with 25-06 factory loads. I look forward to your "pictures", ha!

I've killed a few with it. Loaded 120 grain Speer and never looked back. A buddy that I load for has taken all of his moose with it. Sharpen your skinning knife and have at it. We want pictures.

Guy Miner":bau8gf5z said:
11 or 12 years with the .25-06 now. I might be able to figure out if I got in 2004, or 2005. First buck with it was 2005.

I remember missing ONE mule deer and ONE pronghorn in all those years. Everything else was hit, and tagged. A couple did require second shots. Coyotes too...

Much as I like my .30-06 & .375 rifles... And I do... I'm thinking of just hunting everything this year with the .25-06, as it's been so doggone good for me. "Everything" this year will include:

Black bear here in Washington.
Mule deer in Wyoming
Pronghorn in Wyoming
Cow elk in Washington

I've got tags for all those critters, and hunts planned for them in September, October, and November.

With the 115 Nosler Partition, I'm getting a safe 3190 - 3200 fps, with good accuracy. I've always had this rifle zeroed at 300 yards, and have been able to "hold on hair" and make good hits on mule deer even at 400 yards. The 6x Leupold is my favorite hunting scope, hands down. Rifle just feels good to me, and it's been effective as all get out.

Yes, I know the .30-06 700 CDL is almost exactly the same rifle... But... It's not "ol Deer Zapper."

With black bear (300 ish pounds) and cow elk on the menu, am I crazy to stick with my favorite hunting rifle? It sure works well on mule deer & pronghorn. And I'd be swapping from my "Blue Cyclone" 115 Ballistic Tips to the 115 gr Partitions.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Guy
Your all good to go Guy, my buddy hammers everything from deer to moose with that caliber using barnes tsx, big moose too (y)

It's as you know, shot placement is King :)
Lou

G'Day Fella's,

Guy, the .25-06 is a great hunting cartridge (I've owned one for 30+ years), especially for Deer but it does have limitation!
When it comes to larger species of Deer/Antlered Game (Elk/Wapiti, Moose), I would prefer to take a .30-06 or a .375 H&H if I already owned them.

Good Hunting!!!
Homer

I sure like mine. Used a 115 BT last season for a nice whitetail buck. Retumbo is my powder of choice.

Guy, I used the 25-06 for years and it served me well. However after I got the 257 Weatherby years ago, I do not remember ever using the 25-06 again.

Did you ever go on that brown bear hunt in Alaska ? And if so did you use your 375 or ?

Europe":6bu87iis said:
Did you ever go on that brown bear hunt in Alaska ? And if so did you use your 375 or ?

Nope - never made the brown bear hunt happen. Think that I may just keep enjoying Alaska with a camera & fly rod. Been doing that for many years, it's nice.

Guy

I have shot groundhogs, coyotes and whitetail with my 25-06. I use Winchester 90 grain Positive Expanding Points for hogs and yotes, Winchester 110 grain AccuBond CT or Remington 120 grain Core Lokt for whitetail
I love how flat it shoots when bearing down on long distance hogs and yotes. It knocks the grunt tube out of whitetails also!

I've been shooting the 25.06 for over 25yrs and although the only thing I've killed with it are deer and yotes I wouldn't have a problem what so ever shooting the game you mentioned with it. I'm sure it will get it done. I always look forward to seeing your pictures. Good luck!

With the Partition you got plenty of rifle Guy IMO. Someone else said it earlier but I'll take an accurate shot with a smaller caliber rifle over a not so accurate bigger bore any day.(although I am certain your bigger guns are accurate also) Can't wait to see the pics.

Dr Mike,
'Tis a pity I don't own a 25-06.
I'm fairly certain they are still making rifles in that cartridge. It's an easy shortage to remedy. :grin:

My life isn't over yet, Dewey. Who knows what may find its way into my arsenal?

The 25-06 has really caught my eye over the last few years and I am possibly going to scratch this itch in the next little while (y).
Good post!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back