.25-06 powders?

remingtonman_25_06":27dk1kwg said:
Mike you are missing out on a great cartridge!!!

Really a lot better then what some people give it credit for, or dont...

I know it is a great cartridge. My problem is that my wanter is more powerful than my wallet. :( In time, I don't doubt that I'll pick up or build a rifle chambered in this fine cartridge. :grin:

DrMike":2c4f6oax said:
I've gone to the store specifically to pick one up on a couple of occasions, only to return home with something else that seemed just what I needed at the time.

Lord, can I ever empathize. I've learned from each of them, though.

Wow, I am surprised to see such slow powders being used. I have been running RL17 and RL19 in my wifes 25-06 shooting the 100gr Barnes. Cant remember the velocities I am getting but they were up there.

remingtonman_25_06":1mb76fyt said:
Gotta remember the 2506 is a bit overbore...slow powders are your friend :)

Without a doubt, RL25 is working REALLY well with the 115's in my Model 70..

Don't know why anyone would want a barrel shorter than 24 inches for the .25-06. This cartridge is pretty over bore as is. If the short barrel is desired, you may as well get a .257 Roberts because that is what you will end up with.

Sako7STW":2pi5mlpp said:
Even in the shorter bbls (say 20-22") the slow powders still give you the performance?

Slow powders are still the fastest in short tubes. If they are fast in long barrels, they will still be faster when you shorten the barrel.. That's my experience though, I am sure there might be difference in others experience.

That is certainly true about slow powders. My issue struggling to get the 120 Prtition going over 3000 fps with any load, 20 years ago. IMR 7828 was the only powder that I found which would do it. Since that was such a task, why would I want to seriously hamper perfomance more by shortening the barrel?

Some calibers: like the .25-06 and .264 WM are made to be shot in longer tubes or get a .257 Roberts. I can easily get 3050-3100 fps from the 110 AB in my .257 Roberts with a 24 inch tube. Why bother to burn more powder for less in a .25-06?

Oldtrader3":2k3s3ujj said:
That is certainly true about slow powders. My issue struggling to get the 120 Prtition going over 3000 fps with any load, 20 years ago. IMR 7828 was the only powder that I found which would do it. Since that was such a task, why would I want to seriously hamper perfomance more by shortening the barrel?

Some calibers: like the .25-06 and .264 WM are made to be shot in longer tubes or get a .257 Roberts. I can easily get 3050-3100 fps from the 110 AB in my .257 Roberts with a 24 inch tube. Why bother to burn more powder for less in a .25-06?

I agree all the way Charlie. I know that one of our members here has a 20" barreled Blaser 25-06, and he ran through a bunch of powders working to get a load to get the kinda speeds you get in your 257. I think along the same lines, but a Blaser is a beautiful rifle and even with a 20" barrel, I wouldn't throw it outta my bed! He eventually found the 1/2MOA load that shoots very fast and flat.

My first rifle was a Browning A-bolt Medallion Sporter in 25-06 and it had a 22" bbl so I was thinking back to it. I never loaded for it and I shot the factory 117gr Rem Core Lok out of it, I think thats what they were anyways. Actually shot very well at right around MOA. They were vicious on everything I shot all the way to a B&C bull moose. I never should have sold that rifle!!

Scotty, I would not throw a Blaser out of my bed either, for sure! I am just averse to rowing against the tide. It is just, why get get something that is slow and more noisy for convenience sake? I have climbed a good number of the higher mountains in Utah, Wyoming, California, and Washington. My 24 to 26 inch tubes and 8 pound rifles never even slowed me down.

But to each their own, I make and live with my choices and so do we all. There is always some tradoff or something on every decision, sera, sera.

Oldtrader3":rlj4s9op said:
Scotty, I would not throw a Blaser out of my bed either, for sure! I am just averse to rowing against the tide. It is just, why get get something that is slow and more noisy for convenience sake? I have climbed a good number of the higher mountains in Utah, Wyoming, California, and Washington. My 24 to 26 inch tubes and 8 pound rifles never even slowed me down.

But to each their own, I make and live with my choices and so do we all. There is always some tradoff or something on every decision, sera, sera.

Without a doubt. It's like a carbine length 300 Win Mag. Guys clamor it does everything a long barreled 30-06 does? Each to their own. Makes sense to me, just not something I would do.

Sako7STW":399yqhqr said:
My first rifle was a Browning A-bolt Medallion Sporter in 25-06 and it had a 22" bbl so I was thinking back to it. I never loaded for it and I shot the factory 117gr Rem Core Lok out of it, I think thats what they were anyways. Actually shot very well at right around MOA. They were vicious on everything I shot all the way to a B&C bull moose. I never should have sold that rifle!!

That does sound like one you should have held onto!

This is real good information, thanks to all. I'm reloading for two .25-06's using IMR 4831. I've been working up from 49 gr under different bullets, I'm at 52.4 now, finally seeing 3,000 fps with the 100 gr bullets. Does this sound right ? I see folks getting 3,000 fps with less 4831, I'm wondering what I'm not doing correctly. I just changed from CCI primers to Win. Accuracy is decent with several loads, I used 52 gr of 4831 under a 117 gr Sierra HP to take a nice buck this fall, neck shot from about 110 to 115 yards. Should I keep working up .3 gr at a time til I get 3100 fps, seems that's reasonable to expect from this round. The rifles are a Weatherby Vanguard and a No. 1.
Thanks,
Steve

Keep going. You should be able to get the 117 grain to over 3000 fps. However in small overbore cailibers each rifle is an individual for pressure and velocity. Just watch signs of pressure, like a hard lifting bolt or shiny spots on the case over the ejector hole.

If your having issues, drop to a slower powder and see where it gets you. I have had good luck with RL25 with 115 BT's and the speed is around 3200 or so. I know Charlie and others had excellent luck with the 4831's and 7828's in the 25-06 as well, so you can probably get to where you need to be with them, but I look at the 25-06 as similar to the 264 Win Mag and it seems to thrive off the slow powders near the upper PSI's, with heavier bullets that is..

I have had good luck with IMR 7828 in the .25-06 with 120 gr Partitions. However what Scotty says is true with this caliber, it is overbore and likes slow powders.

Thanks very much for the quick replies, I'll keep at it, and increase a little at a time. I'm getting some 7828 for my 7 mm Mag, I might try it in the .25-06's as well.

Back