25 cal. no-lead BC's

nomosendero

Handloader
Apr 13, 2006
I am looking at developing the optimal 100 grain load for my brother's 25-06 Ruger Target & experimenting with my Sendero. The Ruger really likes 100 gr. bullets so the quest will be more serious but my 25-06AI likes 115-120 bullets just fine, so for it I am just experimenting. Anyway, I WAS looking at the 110 GMX, the 100TTSX & the 100E-Tip. It seems that Hornady has some problems & Barnes has not made up their mind on the BC. Hornady it appears has dropped the 110 & went to a 90 gr, maybe the 110 was not stable with med. capacity 25's, who knows, but went to a 90gr, I think that is taking light wt. further than I want to go. With Barnes 100TTSX, they showed a lower BC than the TSX which seems odd, they recently changed it to .397, which is the same as a BT & quite good, but when I called barnes to confirm, they gave me the low # again, they need to make up their mind. :roll:
The E-tip looks promising, I hope Noaler figures out the BC soon, I would like to see a good # as it appears the vel. winds up being less with this bullet at comparable pressures.

Your thoughts?

Not too long ago I would just buy the bullets & see how they do at distance, but with current prices & the ease of spending 100.00-125.00 in 3 boxes of bullets it is kinda neat to get good upfront info.

Just venting a little I guess!!

I will get the 257 cal 100 gr E-tip BC and post it for you.

JD338

You're stuck with a no-lead bullet requirement?

I have used the 100 gr Barnes TSX at 3340 fps from my .25-06 with excellent results on a couple of mule deer. This was before the E-Tips were introduced, and I've not yet tried them. The Barnes gave very good accuracy, as well as superb terminal performance. I had no problems making hits out at 300 & 400 yards with it. The only drawback, other than price, was that they tended to foul the barrel pretty quickly. Otherwise I have to rate them as a good hunting bullet for those who need an unleaded bullet.

One of these days I'll get around to trying the E-Tips, but right now I'm sitting on a small stockpile of 115 gr Nosler Partitions, which are just dandy hunting bullets!

Guy

I tried the 100 gr etips in my 257 bee and was less than impressed velocity was no where near what I could get from the barnes

If this is a hunting bullet shooting a 90 gr bullet would be like shootin a 120 gr lead or maybe heavier considering the difference in weight retention

the barnes shot well for me great speed and accuracy but I just wanted a lead bullet

Guy Miner":yrq5h0iv said:
You're stuck with a no-lead bullet requirement?

I have used the 100 gr Barnes TSX at 3340 fps from my .25-06 with excellent results on a couple of mule deer. This was before the E-Tips were introduced, and I've not yet tried them. The Barnes gave very good accuracy, as well as superb terminal performance. I had no problems making hits out at 300 & 400 yards with it. The only drawback, other than price, was that they tended to foul the barrel pretty quickly. Otherwise I have to rate them as a good hunting bullet for those who need an unleaded bullet.

One of these days I'll get around to trying the E-Tips, but right now I'm sitting on a small stockpile of 115 gr Nosler Partitions, which are just dandy hunting bullets!

Guy

No, we don't have any of those requirements, in fact about the only rifle requirements is the cal. cannot be smaller than .224 & no ful metal jacket. No clip or type of rifle restrictions, 50BMG whatever.

Again, I will use heavies in mine, 115 BT & 120Part. shoot great, the other rifle shoots 100 gr. better, I worked up a load for Antelope/Mule Deer last year with 100BT for him, they were great but I think care would be in order here if we hunt the bottoms & see a Deer or Bear close, so was thinking of a tougher bullet @ 100 gr, but not having to switch to a BT for longer range.

well every rifle is different but in my 700 classic I am getting great quarter size or less groups with a stiff charge of rl 17 and the 110 AccuBond

the best part is the 100 gr bt shoots just as good and hits in the same spot only 1 " lower ( I assume flatter shooting) with a max load of RL17

I shot a buck this morning with the AccuBond out of my 257 wby at about 100 yds on the run hit him a little high but right behind the front shoulder clipped the bottom or underside of the spine and it passed though with not much bigger of a hole

pretty tough

Back