25 WSSM 115gr BST and Superformance

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
Just loaded twenty rounds of 25 wssm to try in these two model 70 rifles.

My son has a pair of model 70 Winchesters in 25wssm. I loaded up 20 rounds of 115 BST with 48 grains of superformance. We are going to run ten through one and ten through the other.

If it ever stops raining here we will go shoot and I will give a report with some pictures.

I wanted to add something on this. I used to use IMR only in this caliber and it did "ok". This was with all sorts of different charge weights but the same primer. It just wouldnt get anything close to sub moa or the 300's we shoot. One of the problems might have been I was using large rifle mag primers in this round.
Two things. At the time Barnes loading data was using a mag primer for its 25 wssm data. So was someone else. So i had used a mag primer in this.
Never before have I ran into a situation where factory ammo was shooting better than my reloads. It was in these rifles.

After discussing some things with the folks at IMR/Win/hodgdon they said absolutely no way should a mag primer be used in this. It would in fact hurt accuracy. So back to the bench I went and loaded these up with superformance and some WLR primers.

I usually shoot match primers but going to run these for this application and see what happens.

Good luck. That little 25 WSSM is a screamer. Packaged up in a pretty nice rifle..

It will be interesting to hear how Superperformance works in that caliber. I have a pound that I have tested in a couple calibers and not gotten the results that were hoped for. It seems to work better in the "light for caliber" bullets in most calibers.

...tried Superformance in the .25 WSSM, .300 WSM, .325 WSM, didn't get the velocities that I got w/ RL-17, & quite a bit lower than "book"velocities across the board. hit a "wall" w/ the .300 WSM, where velocities actually dropped near Max. loads, suggesting I was getting near max pressures...

I have a 25 wssm in an AR, I run the 115 NBT's right at 3K fps with IMR 4350, way sub MOA. try fed 210 primers.
RR

Looking forward to your range work... Still don't have a .257 caliber rifle in the safe...

Couldn't wait any longer to try a few shots.
Temperature was 19 degrees. Very little wind.
The rifles: First rifle shot was a Model 70 super shadow. Super shadow rifles have the CRPF (controlled round push feed) with internal magazine only. I believe they were shooting times rifle of the year some years back...due to the combo of function and price. This has only a 4x32 Leupold on it. (Yeah the friction adjusters) :x
M70 Super shadow 25wssm.jpg
3 shot superformance 115 BST m 70 super shadow.jpg

This is getting closer to the group I've been looking for that just wouldn't happen before.

Second target was shot with a M70 Ultimate Shadow which is a CRF controlled round feed rifle with drop floor plate, pre-64 action etc etc. It has a Bushnell elite 2.5-10 x 50 scope on it. 30 mm tube. Yes it is a beast. Lighted reticle. However this scope is a horrible scope for target shooting IMO. The crosshair is way too fat. It is beyond awesome for hunting though.
M70 ultimate shadow 25wssm.jpg
3 shot superformance 115 BST M70 Ultimate shadow.jpg

This target is not as good as the first but still isn't too bad considering the scope on it. And certainly better than previous loads or factory ammo.

I will work with them both much more. Especially the ultimate shadow.

No sticky bolt, no cratering. Also no Chrony unfortunatley this time as I just didn't have the time to mess with that in this cold snap we have

These were the only shots fired. I put up the first target....shot three rounds..got that target and swapped it for a new one...shot three more rounds with rifle #2.

The Large Rifle primer did the trick. Give the CCi BR2 primers a try, maybe that will help shrink your groups even more.

I know what you mean about the heavy cross hairs on targets. I found using a target with the 4 2" squares and a 2" space ing between the black squares works pretty good for me with the 4X M8 Heavy Duplex reticle.

JD338

I shoot a .243 wssm and the only time I will use a mag primer is when using win 760, as recomended by the wssm zone guys.

Me too. 95 gr bt with 760 at 3250 fps and .7" groups.

Ridge_Runner":35b7szdk said:
I have a 25 wssm in an AR, I run the 115 NBT's right at 3K fps with IMR 4350, way sub MOA. try fed 210 primers.
RR

I just put together a Dtech upper in 25 wssm, with a RRA lower.
Would you mind sharing your exact load?
Are you loading to fit the standard mag. or longer?
Thanks

Back