25 WSSM

z11

Beginner
Jan 14, 2011
Advise needed. A couple of years ago I picked up a used Winchester Model 70 in 25 WSSM. The barrel is about 21.5 inches. It appears someone attempted to free float the barrel but a bit more is needed there.

I have a decent supply of new and fired brass. Any recommendations on where to start with loads suitable for Southern whitetails will be appreciated. Any advice about dealing with this round will be welcome.

...put a .25 cal. bore brush in a drill & run it in & out of your case necks a few times before you resize them, especially new brass, & it's probably worth the effort to turn your necks if you have the equip. Necking to .25 from .535 leaves lots of small wrinkles, new brass is notoriously hard to seat bullets if you don't smooth out the inside of the neck...

...so far, RL-17 seems to be "The Powder" for the .25 WSSM, I'm getting very good velocities & accuracy w/ 75, 87, 90, & 120gr. loads. Just because of the velocities I tend to go w/ tougher bullets, the 110gr. AccuBond or 115gr. NPT would be good starting points...

wildgene":m5c4kp3w said:
...put a .25 cal. bore brush in a drill & run it in & out of your case necks a few times before you resize them, especially new brass, & it's probably worth the effort to turn your necks if you have the equip. Necking to .25 from .535 leaves lots of small wrinkles, new brass is notoriously hard to seat bullets if you don't smooth out the inside of the neck...

...so far, RL-17 seems to be "The Powder" for the .25 WSSM, I'm getting very good velocities & accuracy w/ 75, 87, 90, & 120gr. loads. Just because of the velocities I tend to go w/ tougher bullets, the 110gr. AccuBond or 115gr. NPT would be good starting points...
Thanks wildgene, this is the sort of info I need.

...you can try "neck-sizing", but you'll probably find that you need to set your die so it cams over w/ a little pressure to ensure smooth chambering...

Back