.256 Newton

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Any intel on the .256 Newton that anyone can share. I know the cartridge, but I'm wondering about the rifle. Ken Waters says the "Buffalo Newton" is inferior. I certainly respect Mr. Waters' opinion, but some lesser known writers speak of the "Buffalo Newton" as superior. I'm thinking of picking up a .256 Newton; I'm just waiting for more information.

I know nothing of the cartridge, but there's a really nice Newton rifle in 256 at the Cabela's near me if anyone wants to see pics.... ;)

The .256 was the most common chambering for the Newton rifle (about 62% of the 4000 or so chambered). About 18% were chambered in 30 Newton and 5% were chambered in 35 Newton. If you have a link to the Cabela's rifle, I'd like to see it, Tom.

I saw that one this morning and another priced about $500 below that. I'm looking at one that is less than half of that asking price. I'm waiting for more information on serial number and whether it has the double set triggers, if it is Buffalo manufacture, etc.

I own a Newton, Dr. Mike, and can tell you a little about the rifle. My rifle was originally in .256 but, no doubt because of the unavailability of factory ammo, was re-rifled and rechambered to .270 Winchester. A pretty easy conversion if you think about it. With a groove diameter of around .264, one would just have to ream the old rifling out to .270 and then re-rifle it to .277. Since the chambers are similar, that operation would be fairly simple to accomplish, as well. My rifle does not look like it has factory wood and just might be a rifle assembled after the Newton venture collapse. While altered and not a collector's piece, my rifle is still nice and has no issues. Nice double set triggers and vintage aperture sight. You will appreciate the interrupted thread style locking lugs (like your Ross), the controlled-round feed, and the way you can drop the floor plate and then unscrew it from the front guard screw hole to take the entire action out of the stock. Under the grip cap is a bolt which secures the steel block which the rear of the receiver pivots under and is retained. I'll see if I can get you a photo. There is some misinformation about Newton rifles out there because the rifles are rare and unusual. The later Newton rifles of different design were pretty rough but I think you will find the early rifles were of high quality.

Photo of my Newton rifle.

Attachments

• Newton rifle 002.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 2,672
  • Newton rifle 003.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 2,672
  • Newton rifle 001.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 2,672
Very neat, Dick. I've backed off from the one I was looking at. It looks like a project gun once we we able to look at some photos. The seller finally acknowledge that it wasn't a shooter, which took away some of the interest on my part. However, what it has done is begin to get me to thinking that my next buy should be a Newton. I saw several for sale that were in the $1500 to $2000 range, which might be possible. I do believe it would be a fun cartridge to work with, though the 35 Newton would be more interesting still.

Thank you, Tom. That is about the price I would have expected to see.

tddeangelo":33yxy8fn said:
DrMike":33yxy8fn said:
The .256 was the most common chambering for the Newton rifle (about 62% of the 4000 or so chambered). About 18% were chambered in 30 Newton and 5% were chambered in 35 Newton. If you have a link to the Cabela's rifle, I'd like to see it, Tom.

Here you go!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Newton-A ... Ntt=newton

That is a SWEET one right there!

Is the case a 30-06 simply necked down, no other changes?

Scotty, that rifle has been at Cabela's since Labor Day. I bet you could move them on price a little....

;)

tddeangelo":11yjrojn said:
Scotty, that rifle has been at Cabela's since Labor Day. I bet you could move them on price a little....

;)

Yeah, it would take alot of movement!

Isn't the Newton case slightly larger diameter than the -06 case? Seems like it's bigger than .473", but not quite to .532" like the RUM variants off the Jeffrey case? Or am I totally nuts? (My wife would say, "Maybe both...")

Okay - I couldn't leave it alone, and went and did the research myself. The 256 is based on the -06 case, best I can gather. The 30Newton was a different (proprietary) case altogether, and it's actually very similar to the 375Ruger case, as both are .532" beltless caseheads, and both are -06 length cartridges.

SJB358":3qs38pl9 said:
tddeangelo":3qs38pl9 said:

;)

Yeah, it would take alot of movement!

What's the phrase you use....?

"Stop fighting, it won't hurt as much"????

:shock:

:grin:

dubyam":1ac2jmvv said:
Okay - I couldn't leave it alone, and went and did the research myself. The 256 is based on the -06 case, best I can gather. The 30Newton was a different (proprietary) case altogether, and it's actually very similar to the 375Ruger case, as both are .532" beltless caseheads, and both are -06 length cartridges.

The 35 Newton can be formed using 375 Ruger brass, and if you look at the two, side by side, you can see where Ruger got their NEW AND IMPROVED 375 Ruger! They are pretty similar.

Bill said it best, sitting next to the campfire, there hasn't been much new invented in cartridges since about 1920...

The 30 and 35 Newton should have been reintroduced in 2000 or so. They would have taken the RUM/RUGER world by storm. Nice long necks, minimum body taper, and good case capacity. I actually have a set of RCBS 35 Newton dies that tempt me horribly.

I know where there is a set of 30 Newton dies as well, should someone else want a New and Improved Short Magnum!

Well, I've kinda' gotten the bug for a Newton rifle. I believe I'll be looking over the coming year or so. Just 'cause...

DrMike":3o2kq5f9 said:
Well, I've kinda' gotten the bug for a Newton rifle. I believe I'll be looking over the coming year or so. Just 'cause...

Phew, thank God your taking the hit. I can just live vicariously through you for that one! HA!

Back