257 Weatherby 120 Partitions and RL33

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Started working with my little brothers 257 Weatherby yesterday. He’s been shooting RL25 and 120’s at 3200 for a few years. He showed some interest in hunting Elk this year so I wanted to see if there was any room for improvement with it.

I was pretty happy to see a nice spot at the 3325 FPS area and will get it on paper soon. 33 fits without issues in the case. Just a tiny bit of compression but nothing to really speak of. 33 seemed to really settle down as the PSI came up.

I’m thinking it should make a great load for him if he goes with me. I don’t have a darned doubt the Partition will crush an Elk.

It’s a bone stock Vanguard but man it shoots like crazy!

This is the old RL25 load. Hope the 33 shoots as well

His RL-25 load shoots well, and I wouldn't hesitate at all about taking it.

If you can get another 100 - 125 fps, using RL-33, and keep that kind of accuracy... Why not?

Guy

Guy Miner":2wxy8axq said:
His RL-25 load shoots well, and I wouldn't hesitate at all about taking it.

If you can get another 100 - 125 fps, using RL-33, and keep that kind of accuracy... Why not?

Guy

That’s what I was thinking as well Guy. He’s a good deer hunter and this would be his first western hunt. He’s got a great shooting 270 Win and this 257 Wby. I think with great Bullets in both he will do fine. It’s usually not the cartridge that makes a good elk hunt anyhow.

That is a good group there

Attachments

• 257 bee scott.JPG
    257 bee scott.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 734
Guy nailed it. That load will hunt. However, any of us will take an extra hundred fps or so if we can up the mass and keep the accuracy. A fine cartridge, without a doubt.

Yeah, I don't mind monkeying around a little with it. It's a pretty fun little cartridge. I am praying it shoots like the RL25 load. I stripped the bore down and DBC'ed it before I start testing yesterday, so maybe I can keep the fouling at bay. But I will say, that little Vanguard barrel didn't take too much to clean up nice either.

Boy those are moving right along. Either one would make a great elk load.

My 25-06 with 115gr PT and MagPro shot fairly accurate. They were at 3255 fps and no pressure signs. Thought about trying RL26 to see if I could get a little more speed and accuracy.

That's some excellent speed, hoping they shoot for you and your brother..........

Back