257 weatherby shooters help a new owner

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
Looks like I am the owner of a 257 wby I hope Iam not jinx my self but it should be here next week.

First question where is the best or least expensive place to get brass I know that it costs money and I dont care about that I just want the best deal.

Can someone reccomend a good starting point or load for break in and load workup? I really aspire to get 2 loads for this rifle one in the 80-100 gr range for yotes and one in the110-120 range for deer. It is a remington with a 1-10 twist so what should be optimum and whaat has worked for you?

I would like to incorporate Retumbo if I can as I use it for my 25.06 and I hope to use it in my 300 RUm also but if I need to use something else I will.

Thanks in advance I will post pics when I get it but since I am in California it will be a couple weeks by the time it ships here and I wait and all that noise.

nitis

Congratulations on the 257 Wby. Is it the M700 LSS Limited Edition?
The 100 gr BT would make for a great coyote load as well as a long range deer load. If close shots are likely, look at the 100 gr PT.

The 110 gr AB would make for a great all around bullet for big game and the 115 gr PT if you need some bone busting penetration.

I think Retumbo would be a good choice, also consider RL 22, RL 25 and IMR7828.

JD338

no its a little different I dont want to outright say until I get a tracking # and know its on its way for sure

nitis

Post a picture of her when you get it.

JD338

Heck of a cartridge... Grandpa shot everything; coyotes, ground squirrels, and deer with a 100 gr hollowpoint from his. It worked just fine.

Dad bumped that up to a 117 gr Nosler Partition for his hunting with that rifle. He's still hanging onto it, so I haven't had much chance to load for it... It's an old '98 Mauser converted by Weatherby's old Southgate shop back in the dark ages.

Looking forward to your range report! Guy

Nitis I have had great success with the 100gr TTSX. I am waiting til after season to start loading some 110 accubonds. I am using ramshot Magnum but also tried H1000. Both shoot under 3/4. The main thing with a WBY is the seating depth. I usually got by .005 when making adjustments. Good luck! It's one round I absolutely love to shoot!

I really get 100 grainers smoking with IMR7828 and the 115 grainers are really fast and accurate with H1000. I've tried all of the powders and found these two the most accurate and fast. The IMR7828 is also really good with the 110 NAB. Seating depth can be the key here as mentioned above. I seat the 100 tsx at 3.125", the GS 100 at 3.215", the NAB 110 at 3.250" and the berger 115 at 3.360". These are my sweet spots and the bergers are as long as the magazine will allow. Congrats on your new rifle and the 257 wby mag is a great cartridge. :grin:

well I ordered up the brass and dies tonight from Cabelas since I had a coupon for 20 off. I also bought a box of sierra 90gr hollowpoints they ought to be a dog charmer eh?

I wonder if these are the same bullets winchester uses in their silverbox for the 25.06 pep loads those shoot good out of my 25.06 so I can always try them some where else.

Dont worry I have some accubonds ballistic tips and partions of various weights to test also

My buddy Frank have one made from a Yugo Mauser action and Hart #4. It'll be ready this weekend. I'll be doing load development in the coming weeks for it.

Congratulations on your choice of an outstanding caliber. There is an excellent article in Shooting Times magazine by Layne Simpson titled, "In Praise of the .257 Weatherby Magnum." I found the article very helpful when I was developing loads for two different 257's.

My son's Mark V only liked 110 Accubonds powered by IMR7828SSC. Three shot groups at 100 yards under 3/4" at 3400 FPS.

Mine will shoot a one whole three shot group at 100 yards with 85 grain Nosler Ballistic Silvertips at 3800 FPS. It is sighted in dead-on at 300 yards and drops 17 inches at 500 yards. Coyotes in Central Oregon do not like this weapon. Load is a generous helping of RL 19. Look at the Nosler Reloading Manual.

The 100 grain Ballistic Tip shoots 1/2" groups at 3650 FPS pushed by Retumbo. The above 110 AccuBond load shoots under 1/2" in my rifle.

All loads are 3.175" COAL. The longer I made them the worse they shot. There is about 3/8" inch freebore in my rifle.

All velocities were run over my chronograph and the 85 and 110 grain loads had a standard deviation in single digits.

Federal 215 Magnum primers are a must.

If you can tell that it is a coyote with the naked eye you will hit it and the .257 kills like lightning.

Good luck,
Jerry 919
Bend, Oregon

Great rifle. i have 2 of them, and each of my brothers have one. For loads
110 AB great bullet, I use IMR 7828, and watch the OAL.
120 Partition: I shoot great groups, and use IMR 4831.
100 BT: Groups are 3/4 inch with IMR 4831.

The gun can be a touch difficult to get to group very tight, but it is my favorite hunting rifle. Light, and deadly.

100_1473.jpg

100_1474.jpg
[/img]

Ok I got confirmation that it has shipped so I can share with you what it is.

Christensen Arms Hunter 257 wby mag!

700 action 26" barrel detachable titanium break. I really wanted the carbon fiber Kings desert shadow stock but didnt have the extra 500 bones for it right now I can always get it later.

Thats ok my okie rattle can jobs are turning out better and better with each one I do.

Back