.257 Weatherby - which one?

300winnie

Beginner
Apr 20, 2007
I am looking to purchase a new .257 Weatherby. I have narrowed my options down to three choices:

Weatherby Vanguard Stainless/Synthetic
Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA Stainless
Remington LSS

Help me decide.

Thanks.

Go with which one appeals to your instincts the best!!............I see no dis-advantages in owning either one!

Big Squeeze":3kzdohqp said:
Go with which one appeals to your instincts the best!!............I see no dis-advantages in owning either one!
............................Ok! I`ll pick two! Either the Sub-Moa or the Remy!

Remington 700. Should you ever decide to rebarrel, most gunsmiths
prefer to work on the 700 action. Every 700 I have owned has shot well under MOA.

JD338

If you can get you hands on a Sub-Moa that is great. I lived just down the road from the Weatherby manufacturing facility in Paso Robles, CA. I tried to get a 7mm Rem Mag Sub-MOA and was going to have to wait for at least 6 months to get one. Just like Kimber and other high end manufactures, they only make one caliber at a time so they do not have to retool all the time.

The standard Vanguard has a accuracy guarantee (you get a target with the rifle) so each rifle is shot at their range. During this testing, if they find a rifle that is exceptional, they set that rifle aside as a Sub-MOA rifle. That Rifle then has the name plates added for the Sub-MOA notation.

Another note is Weatherby's warrenty. I have a friend that was in a tree with his 270 Wby Vanguard and dropped it on a rock. The barrel bent pretty badly. He called them and they rebarrelled the gun for free even though it was his fault. (He did have to pay for shipping)

However, I ended up with Rem 700. I like the safty better and did not have to wait so long to get one.

I like the Vanguard SS. Got two of them. The target I got with the 30-06 was .75 and the target for the 300wsm was 1.25. Both shoot .5 with hand loads. The price was right and they shoot good enough for me.

I own a Mark V Fibermark in the .257 WBY and love it...with the options you give however, I'd definitely go with the Remington LSS...it comes with a 26" barrel while the Vanguards are only 24". I'm partial to the longer barrel for the Weatherby calibers. You'll get more out of them.
-TB

I have also been looking at the 257 bee . I have found a new fibermark japan made but has the 24 inch tube. I also have been looking at the vangard back country but also 24 inch tube. What velocity have the vangard shooters been getting out of the 24 inch tubes.

With my 24 " Wby, Vanguard I settled on the 110 gr. AccuBond at 3443 fps avg. I get 3577 fps. avg with the 100 gr. Ballistic tip.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Back