257 weatherby

Idaho, I agree with you 100% on the bullet dia. Also I just picked up a accumark in 6.5-300 wby. Have not got any dies or brass yet to try the 142 AccuBond long range bllets.

my husband and grandfather are fans of the Weatherby rifles and calibers and between them they have several, including the 257 and 270. However, I would guess that 90% of the time they use the 340 and 257, maybe even 95 % of the time. I have used the 257 and it is a pretty slick rifle and caliber. I usually borrow it from him when on a dedicated wolf hunt.

Scotty, Nathan, 69gto, anyone, wouldn't the 6.5 300 require a full length magnum action ? I know my husband looked at it and felt the marginal gains over the 270 would only come into play over 500 yards, but he might be wrong--in fact he is wrong a lot when we are arguing. But it sure looks like a screamer, is it even hotter than the 26 Nosler ? About a year ago I was all wound up on getting a 240 H & H, but Scotty talked me out of it. In my case I more or less wanted it to go with my 275, 300 and 375 H & H rifles

Wait, what were we talking about ?

Yukon huntress, all of the wby. markv's in weatherby mag. cal. from .257 and up are full length actions. Your husband is absolutely right about little to gain with a 6.5-300 over the .270wby. I bought mine just to have one and I would never be without a .270 wby.

We can all talk about the virtues of something else that may be a shade better here or there but honestly the 257 Wby with great factory loads or handloads loaded with good bullets is a pretty danged good cartridge. I have a 25-06 and my little brother runs a 257 Weatherby with 120 Partitions. It's a great hunting cartridge with little else standing better than it for deer and black bear sized animals. I'd be just fine hunting elk with the cartridge actually. It has plenty of speed and power to spare.

Then on top of that, recoil is pretty mild for the amount of ballistics you get from it. A custom rifle built up nicely for Brooke would probably be a favorite in no time at all.

The down side to the 6.5-300 Weatherby is it would require more work to make it happen in anything but a Weatherby action because of it's length. In a Winchester action it would require a Wyatt extented mag box to get the length needed due to the 2.85" case length. I really don't think a person could go wrong with any of the 3. Out to 4-500yds or so they are close enough to be twins. With where she lives, and the fact that there are grizzly/brown bears in most of Alaska, the larger diameter bullet of the .270 would be the smarter of the 3 IMO. Or she could do like Cheyenne and build a 275 H&H to compliment her 300 H&H. But as you go up in bullet diameter and weight so goes the recoil.

oh heck , she's going to hunt with it ? I just figured that living in Alaska , with the size of everything , this little 257 loaded with a Partition would be used for barn mice and things like this ............... just teasing !!

jimbires":11enpjbh said:
oh heck , she's going to hunt with it ? I just figured that living in Alaska , with the size of everything , this little 257 loaded with a Partition would be used for barn mice and things like this ............... just teasing !!

(-: (-: (-:

Also, april, thank you for posting my question and thank you to everyone who has responded through the thread--appreciated

I am going to have my uncle build a 257 for me. He also does the reloading for me, and will use the 120 gr A Frame, as of today it will have a Leupold 3 6 x 42 on top. As soon as it is done I will check it out on /caribou and then take it from there.

Usually hunting on horseback, I will also take the 348. hope the 300 H & H doesn't end up being a safe queen, time will tell---------Brooke

sounds good

I don't think the 6 x 42 comes with a German 4 however, so you will need to choose something different. I personally like the German 4, but I am sure one of the duplexes will work just fine. I do agree with the fixed scope strategy, the 120 A Frame and the 257, so three our of four isn't bad.

Jim, the mice in Alaska are BIG

69gto--what will you use the 6.5-300 for--competition or hunting--?

Europe, I will use it for deer, pronghorn, and shooting water jugs at long range. For elk I use an old Wby. fibermark that I had rebarreled to .338 win. mag.

Europe":1qzmdzp4 said:
sounds good

I don't think the 6 x 42 comes with a German 4 however, so you will need to choose something different. I personally like the German 4, but I am sure one of the duplexes will work just fine. I do agree with the fixed scope strategy, the 120 A Frame and the 257, so three our of four isn't bad.

Jim, the mice in Alaska are BIG

69gto--what will you use the 6.5-300 for--competition or hunting--?

Leupold will put any reticle in the scope you want April if you order through them. If you like thick crosshairs the Post and Duplex is excellent, but it's just a tad think out at the 500 yard line for me.

thats great Scotty, so if she chooses the german 4, I would be four for four LOL

I actually like it, but everybody is different. As you get older the thin crosshairs you can hardly see and the thick crosshairs can be to thick. There is nothing funny about getting old but I guess it is better than the alternative--up to a point anyway.

What reticle would you choose for that scope, with it being on that rifle Scotty, Dr Mike, Jim. 69gto, Nathan, hodgeman, etc----------------and everybody or the majority of you better choose the German 4

Europe":14f55bly said:
thats great Scotty, so if she chooses the german 4, I would be four for four LOL

I actually like it, but everybody is different. As you get older the thin crosshairs you can hardly see and the thick crosshairs can be to thick. There is nothing funny about getting old but I guess it is better than the alternative--up to a point anyway.

What reticle would you choose for that scope, with it being on that rifle Scotty, Dr Mike, Jim. 69gto, Nathan, hodgeman, etc----------------and everybody or the majority of you better choose the German 4

I'd probably get the LR Duplex. Zero for 300 yards and have three simple aiming points out to 600 yards. Doesn't get much easier.

Europe":2o5bolf7 said:

I like German #4s but my favorite is a German #1 post. I'd also be perfectly content with a plan old duplex for open country work.

I think the reticle choice is a personal thing . what works for one doesn't work for another . everyone has their preference , needs , or wants . I would stay away from the very thin target style reticles for hunting though , they will get lost in low light conditiond .

I've got the old eye problem too, including floaters . I do like the BDC aiming points for longer shooting , out to 500 - 600 yards , to me this sure beats guessing holdover . I can get the BDC reticles to match up pretty well to my rifles trajectory . I can see the Boone and Crockett under hunting conditions , and I have trouble seeing the varmint hunter reticle. not to long ago I had a varmint reticle changed to the Boone and Crockett .

Alaska- my last 257 Weatherby was a trade I picked up- it was a custom Interarms Mark X with a Timney trigger and a 26 inch Douglas barrel. It was set ina beautiful piece of English walnut, and I had a Leupold 4.5x14AO on it. I also used it in Texas for exotics using the 100gr TSX handloads. It was a Lightning bolt! its a very popular round in Texas...but so is the 25-06. As mentioned, I too believe a 24" properly loaded 25-06 will step on the heels of a 24" bbl 257 w. That 257 really steps ahead with a 26" barrel. Same goes for the 7mm Rem Mag and the 280 Ackley Improved in my opinion. I had a mid 1990's Weatherby Lightweight Accumark in .240W...it was also a fine Texas rifle! Good luck to you, and one day, all that hard work in school and working will pay off big time! :)

preacher, thank you and everyone. yes it will have a 26 inch barrel. And thank you for the well wishes --ie school and work. The hardest part about college is I will soon need to leave Alaska as I have chosen to pursue an International Law degree. To make myself look more attractive to companies and countries after I graduate, I also want to be able to speak, French, Spanish, Chinese and English of course. I may choose the Portuguese language over Chinese depending on whether I want to work in South America or Asia, or eventually if I can learn both Portuguese and Chinese I could work both Continents. My parents spend a lot of each day looking up scholarships and student loans LOL LOL Brooke

Well, let me share something with you. One of my twin daughters joined the Utah Air nat'l Guard as a full time Spanish Linguist...at 26 yrs old. She was trained at Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA...a very prestigious language school. She spent 12yrs in the Unit, then mustered out and used her GI Bill to finish her BA in University of Utah in Humanities/Latin language studies. She increased her Spanish, and learned Portugese...she learned "all" the dialects of Central America Spanish while in the Guard! Have you ever thought about the Military to train you to be a Lawyer/Linguist,etc? It could be available to you. especially since you have some college under your belt? Its a good way to go! You sound like a hard worker...why not put all that hard work in the military 100% on your studies and let them clothe/house and feed you while doing it? (y) :grin:

preacher, again thank you for sharing your knowledge and guidance with me. We have spoken to the Marine corp and are currently investigating that direction for my education. They can not only help with the law but the language. The language of course can be obtained in other ways, like online, as the key to language is how well you understand it and speak it. This is not all bad as after graduation, I could work in the government through the armed services both in law and as an interrupter. This would all be a plus for me later in life if I elect to work in the Corporate world or even the political world. If I got a good enough educate an kept my nose clean maybe Scotty would consider me as his vice president when he runs for the office of the president of the United States. At this point I would vote for Scotty before either of the other two who are running LOL Brooke

since this is my thread I did not have to apologize to anyone when preacher and I went off subject LOL

Back