26 Nosler Pressure Problems

WDMELK

Beginner
Jan 8, 2018
Hello, I'm new to this forum and the 26 Nosler.
I purchased a Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter and am reloading for it. I am using the Nosler Reloading Guide #8 for reference. Am using the 140 Gr AccuBond bullets, Nosler Brass, Winchester LRM Primers, COAL is 3.30" (which is .060" jump for my rifle).
I have used RL-33 and RL-50. Book recommends RL-33, 75.0 gr Min to 79.0 gr Max. I have experienced intermittent hard extraction with charge of 77 gr, so dropped to 75 gr---second of the three loaded hard extraction. Next three were loaded with 74.5 gr---first of three was hard to extract.
Switched powder to RL-50. Book recommends 71.0 gr Min to 75.0 gr Max. Similar results, staying on low end of book values. Had to go to a gunsmith after one shot with 72.4 gr. Had to beat the bolt open, case stuck in chamber, blown primer.
I have 229 rnds through the gun. Again this is intermittent.
I weigh my powder with an electronic scale and check weights on a balance beam.
Any thoughts as to what is going on would be appreciated.

Pictures of fired brass that caused heavy bolt lift would help do not prep these cases as we would like to see them as is particularly the cartridge head.
Also measurements of fired and new cases so we can see how much case expansion you might have.
Reloading isn't witch craft but close to it.

New Case: Head dia = .549", Primer Pocket dia = .209", Extractor groove = .473"
Fired Case: Head dia = .552", Primer Pocket dia = .212", Extractor groove = .477"

This one also had a blown primer.

Attachments

• 20180203_063735.jpg
    20180203_063735.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 2,496
  • 20180203_063723.jpg
    20180203_063723.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 2,496
Definitely very high pressure, extractor mark is very visible. I see case expansion there as well. You mentioned 229 rounds through the tube and intermittent. So its been going on since it was new?

Do you trim your brass? Long trim length pinches the bullet, resulting in high pressure.

Do you clean your gun? Excess fluid / oil in chamber?

What was your velocities?

Trying to eliminate the possibilities of causing this,,,,

I didn't trim the brass. Book length is 2.590". My brass is avg 2.573". I neck size only.
I clean gun around 25 to 30 rnds. Second to last patch has small amount of oil, then followed by dry patch.
My chrono is out of service.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What the case neck size? Run a fired case over a bullet too, maybe a tight neck?

Buy a Sinclair Chamber Length Gage. This will tell you the true length of the chamber, and you can trim knowing the length vs published Trim to Length.

Velocity? IMO anyone handloading should use a chronograph of some kind when loading ammo.

No financial interest here but the MagnetoSpeed Sporter works very well and runs about 179 or so. Doesn't need light like traditional chronos do either. :grin:
And another in the FWIW column, I haven't managed to shoot a MagnetoSpeed yet aftter murdering a few other chronos. :lol:

I agree with the Sinclair gauge.
Did it exhibit any signs for the first couple hundred you shot through it? Also, what were they if they were working for you? Any ejector marks etc?
Agree with Mark about excess oil in the chamber.
I'd also want to check my scale. Make sure it's really throwing what you want it to. Out of calibration could throw heavy.
If you get a chrono set up and still want to work with 33 and 50, load a couple lighter and chrono them as a baseline. Step up a little and chrono again. Speed is more important than what weight you're loading. Speed is going to tell you whether you're in the ballpark or have a fast or slow batch of powder.

I had an FN Mauser in 243 win that was doing the same thing. Sticky bolt lift, beat up brass, and blown primers after only one firing and we’ll below book minimum charges. Took it to a gunsmith for inspection and it turned out that the barrel was too small, causing excessive pressure. Good luck, but it might be time to have a pro look it over.
V/R,
Joe

I have nosler patriot in 26
Nosler have loaded alot and dis allt of work with it shooting 143eldx 140grn AccuBond and 142 ABLR. I have shot retumbo us869 and 50BMG. I currently load retumbo with a 140gr AccuBond and have had awesome luck. I havent had any pressure problems like you have. I have loaded over what nosler book has said and bairly seen pressure signs. Maybe switch to one of these 3 powders might help.

longrangehunter":2td3eoe9 said:
What the case neck size? Run a fired case over a bullet too, maybe a tight neck?

Buy a Sinclair Chamber Length Gage. This will tell you the true length of the chamber, and you can trim knowing the length vs published Trim to Length.

Velocity? IMO anyone handloading should use a chronograph of some kind when loading ammo.

The fired cases slip down over a bullet.
My chrono is back at manufacturer being calibrated.

Dwh7271":2hrnc05z said:
No financial interest here but the MagnetoSpeed Sporter works very well and runs about 179 or so. Doesn't need light like traditional chronos do either. :grin:
And another in the FWIW column, I haven't managed to shoot a MagnetoSpeed yet aftter murdering a few other chronos. :lol:

I agree with the Sinclair gauge.
Did it exhibit any signs for the first couple hundred you shot through it? Also, what were they if they were working for you? Any ejector marks etc?
Agree with Mark about excess oil in the chamber.
I'd also want to check my scale. Make sure it's really throwing what you want it to. Out of calibration could throw heavy.
If you get a chrono set up and still want to work with 33 and 50, load a couple lighter and chrono them as a baseline. Step up a little and chrono again. Speed is more important than what weight you're loading. Speed is going to tell you whether you're in the ballpark or have a fast or slow batch of powder.

When I measure the powder I use a trickler after getting close to the desired weight. I check calibration of both the electronic scale and the balance beam.

EOD Diver":25ksputa said:
I had an FN Mauser in 243 win that was doing the same thing. Sticky bolt lift, beat up brass, and blown primers after only one firing and we’ll below book minimum charges. Took it to a gunsmith for inspection and it turned out that the barrel was too small, causing excessive pressure. Good luck, but it might be time to have a pro look it over.
V/R,
Joe

Thanks, my gun is still with the gunsmith. I will ask him to check that too.

derek":789fsl1b said:
I have nosler patriot in 26
Nosler have loaded alot and dis allt of work with it shooting 143eldx 140grn AccuBond and 142 ABLR. I have shot retumbo us869 and 50BMG. I currently load retumbo with a 140gr AccuBond and have had awesome luck. I havent had any pressure problems like you have. I have loaded over what nosler book has said and bairly seen pressure signs. Maybe switch to one of these 3 powders might help.

I started out using 869 and 50BMG with 129 ABLRs. No pressure problems, jus 2+ MOA groups. At around 70 rnds through the gun I switched to 140 Gr AB and 869. No pressure problems until around 150 rnds and going to RL-33 and RL-50.

I thank y'all for you advice! I will put it all into the mix for the future when I get my gun back.
Thanks again!

TackDriver284":2o7s3zoz said:
One thing came to mind, are you having enough clearance between the loaded necks and the chamber?
I'm not sure. I have trimmed them to 2.569". Also have ordered a chamber length gauge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back