264 300 yard zero check

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
A few of us went out yesterday to check the zero of a few rifles so I brought my 264 along just to be sure of my zero. There was getting to be a bit of heat mirage by the time I got to shoot so I could not see my 2 shots at 300 yards through the spotting scope. Upon arriving at the target I was pleasantly surprised and perplexed at the same time, not for the 30 cal hole but for the placement of the 2 shots. I was aiming at the left target and the one I hit is 8 1/2 to the right. I tried to correct the POI but the adjustment was a no go. Spoke with Meopta and the they think a spring broke in the windage adjustment. I have no idea how the spring could have broke, if it is a broken spring. I do know the rifle was sighted in right before last deer season at 300 yards and was spot on.

So no matter how much faith you have in your equipment test it if at all possible before you head out.

264 001.jpg

Guy I do as well, that is how I found this issue. That being said I don't know how many times I've heard " My scope has never changed it's zero". Well I didn't think my zero changed either but it certainly did.

I always do a final gear check every year before season and generally a spot check during season.

I also do a bit of offhand shooting during the off season shooting steel at various distances. It can either be a humbling experience or a real confidence boost!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen, that is some danged sound advice. I always like to check my stuff out after traveling across the country.

ALWAYS, check and double check. In addition make sure that all screws are tight, and that your neck sized reloads will function through your rifle. If you have the ability a "backup" rifle is a necessity.

Anything mechanical (or electronic) is subject to failure. Check and then check again.

Elkman":3jrmwhbj said:
ALWAYS, check and double check. If you have the ability a "backup" rifle is a necessity.

YUP!

Elkman":415lozi6 said:
ALWAYS, check and double check. In addition make sure that all screws are tight, and that your neck sized reloads will function through your rifle. If you have the ability a "backup" rifle is a necessity.

Great advice.

Been a number of years back but, I loaned a friend a Savage 99 243 that had an old Weaver K-4 scope. He shot 3 times at a whitetail standing still at about 100 yards and missed all three shots. He said "I know I'm not a great shot, but there's no way I could have missed that deer all three times."
Sure enough. I hadn't checked the zero. It was 'only' 15" high from POA. Adjusted it and that afternoon he got his deer with one shot at about 150.

ALWAYS check them before the hunt OR when you change altitude!

JD338":2zsyt4xj said:
Looking good Bill.
The deer are in trouble.

JD338

The 2 shots are fine but 8 inches to the right is a problem. I've sent the scope back to Meopta we'll see what they find.

Back