264 Win Mag 140 BT's and RL25

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I went back out today and went at it again with the 264WM.. Gotta tell you, it was my best day ever with this rifle. I ran amuck with different lots of Nosler cases and spent alot of bullets chasing my tail. Anyhow, I have come back around with the same lot of cases and wanted to give RL25 a good look.

Anyhow, here is what I came up with. I didn't have the chronograph out today as I didn't wanna worry about speed (kinda like an ostrich, if I don't know its not fast, I can't hate it)...

The first 4 shots out of the rifle was a redo from the last time I tested the AB's with RL25. I used 68.2 as I had some good groups bracketing them at around 3150, so here it is with the fouler shot.

2A261084.jpg

I was extremely happy to see that group..

Next up was 67.3 with the 140 BT's.. All the same components and even seating depth of the AB's..

AAB54120.jpg

54ABFC6C.jpg

355D894A.jpg

BB5F54BC.jpg

Thank God for loading 4 rounds at a clip. I didn't need them everytime, but it was nice to have it when I blew a shot.. Anyhow, I was pretty happy with the result, I have a good load for the 140 AB and the BT.. This is the way it should have worked a year ago, but with different lots of cases mixed together it was getting my goat!

I look forward to running these across the chrono, I am thinking if Mikes QL is kinda close, it should run better than 3100 and I would be okay with that!

Looks like you have a good load there Scotty, glad it's all coming together for you.

Those look pretty good to me, Scotty. Give me the parameters you want run and I'll crank out some data.

DrMike":35s4s5kl said:
Those look pretty good to me, Scotty. Give me the parameters you want run and I'll crank out some data.

I have the data Mike. You already sent it to me for the 140 AB and RL25 with the Nosler cases.

Gerry, I am pretty happy with the loads that came out of the rifle today. Again, I am blind to the speed, but I am sure it is more than enough, and heck, maybe it is more than I think? :shock:

I have the data Mike. You already sent it to me for the 140 AB and RL25 with the Nosler cases.

Oops! I'm slipping. Must be rapidly advancing senility.

Scotty

Good shooting.
The 67.6 gr load looks great. Be happy with the 3xxx fps and call it good. :wink:

JD338

JD338":cx8nmbcd said:
Scotty

Good shooting.
The 67.6 gr load looks great. Be happy with the 3xxx fps and call it good. :wink:

JD338

I think so too Jim. Probably won't monkey with it much more.. This is the best range day this rifle has EVER had.. It all kinda came together today.. It was starting to worry me a little!

Scotty,
Good shooting buddy. The 264 is ready. I have always had good luck with RL25 Powder. Great load you have there too.

Don

Thanks Don. It took a little work, but i think it'll work. Going to run it out to 600 tomorrow and see what it does out a little ways. Now i have to start looking for a more suitable scope for it since I know it'll shoot!

Scotty,
The 264 was made for 140 bullets, combined with RL 25 powder, you have a great combination. My friends in Colorado have two of the post 64 Winchester's. I have witnessed groups like yours and tighter when shooting with them in years past. The speed you arrived at will certainly put game down with authority. They have taken Cow Elk at 600 yards several times with one shot using 140 grain bullets. You gotta like the BC of the 140 for long range! :mrgreen:

Don

DrMike":2yumi036 said:
Must be rapidly advancing senility.

Not senility, just a compulsory urge to help out a fellow man. That, or some sort of obsession with sifting through load data... :grin:

Scotty, any of those are minute-of-game. Go kill something and post pictures!

Scotty that's very nice shooting. What scope do you currently have on it? Let us know how it does at the longer distances. :wink:
David

Scotty it looks like you really have that .264 singing! I've always wanted a .264 WM but I already have a .257 WBY and two .270 WSM's so I havent been able to justify one yet. A new Model 70 has me salivating though :shock:

Scotty,
Way to go man! Glad you finally got that bad boy shooting well. I know it took some serious head scratchin' and time, but you got 'er done. One of these days, I hope to pick up a .264 Win Mag in Super Grade now that they're making 'em!
Joe

Alright, I was able to break out the chrono today and actually see what these loads were clocking. Well, it turns out its running 3180! Yeah, I was blown away once I saw the speedometer!

36A03FE9.jpg

Pretty happy, as the load seems very consistent with the 140 BT as well.

Here is the last group I shot with it. Not quite as good as the first, but after shooting the 338, 35 Whelen, 270WSM and 7WSM's all day, I was a little worn out!

9E5C4B4E.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with the load. I wanna run the 140 AB over the same load to verify it. Should be a good deal as they both shoot the same POI.

Again, I can't ask for more from this rifle. Chalk it up to another beat up, poorly put together M70 from New Haven! :twisted:

Thanks Jake and Mike. It does seem to be where it wants to be!

Back