264 WM close ranges

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Hello, All. New to the forum here and have gained some great info reading around. I've only been reloading for about a year, so I still have much to learn. Anyway, on to my question. I recently acquired a NIB model 70 featherweight, 24" tube 264 Win Mag from a friend in quick need of cash. My situation is, I hunt in the Appalachian mountains in heavy timber and my shots are sub 200 yards, with most falling between 60-100 yards. I need recommendations for a bullet and optimum velocity where the bullet will maintain its integrity and quickly kill whitetail at those shorter distances. I really like the performance I've gotten from the Partitions in my 308 Win, so I would like to stick with them. But concerning the 264WM, I've been told a 125gr Partition is perfect and I've been told the opposite, that I need a heavier bullet like a 150gr range that will hold together at higher impact speeds. I realize the 264 WM isn't considered a short range, heavy timber cartridge, but....I got one, may as well try it out!
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard; glad you found the site and hitched up. Because your shots will be mostly under 200 yards, there is no reason you can't use a Partition. The 125 grain will work just fine. If they are skinny in your area, the 140 grain will serve you equally well. Another option, especially in light of the velocities you will generate, is the 130 grain E-Tip. Of course, one of the excellent AccuBond bullets will work well for you. Nosler has you well covered; any of these bullets will perform well at the distances you will be shooting and at the velocities you will be generating. The 140 grain Ballistic Tip will perform quite well when held to impact velocities below 3100 fps, which would fit your rifle precisely. Consequently, congratulations on picking up a great cartridge in a classic rifle.

I shot a whitetail at 80-90 yards with a 140 AccuBond.

On the surface, it looked like minimal damage. Under the hide was a different story. Total loss of both shoulders, lol.

Assuming you handload, I'd recommend more moderate charges for such ranges. Even the mulie I shot at 212 yards last November was beat up really bad by the 264.

I have it hot, running well over 3200fps for the 140's. Too fast I think for shots that aren't a long way out. I should probably dial it back this summer.

Hunter, any Partition, AccuBond, or ballistic tip in 120 to 140 grain range will work fine. I shoot a .257 wby. and a 110g acc. will break both shoulders and exit a large mulley at 8 feet, going 3550 fps. Also I have had 115g BT do similar results at 100 yds. or less at 3500 fps. Good luck with your new rifle, that .264 is a winner and will do every thing you want it to.

Thanks guys, I like real world information. I don't mind "experimenting" when punching holes in paper, but when it comes to cleanly killing an animal, I like first hand, practical information as a place to start. I'm going to order some 125 and 140 partitions and see what they look like on paper. I have RL 19 handy and I think I'll pick up some RL 25..Around here all I can get (without paying Haz Mat delivery fee) is Alliant powders from my supplier.
Thanks again!

hunter,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the 264 Win Mag.
Take a look at the 140 gr PT with a mid range load. It is more than enough for any WT deer you will ever hunt. Stay off the shoulders and you will be just fine.

JD338

Welcome aboard !

I shoot a 264 Winnie as well and it's a screamer.
I'm running a 28 inch barrel and 130 Accubonds leave at 3350 fps.
Shot two deer on my lease in Mo with it.
One an 8 point at 40 yards and the other a big bodied 10 at 85 yards.
Both were neck shots and dropped in their tracks.
Dr Mike got it right, Nosler has you covered.
Either the 125 or 140 Partition will work just fine on deer.

I agree even though I don't have a 264, I use nothing but Noslers and the guys are giving you good recommendations. The 125 or 140 gr. Partition, the 130 gr. AccuBond, or the 140 gr. E-tip. All will work just fine.

It's kinda graphic, but if you want, I can post what the 140ab did to my mulie.

It's pretty, um, I guess "substantial" is the best word? Lol

Seems to me if you can find something accurate around 2950-3000 with one of the Partitions you should be good to go for the ranges you're shooting. I believe someone else mentioned that but it makes a lot of sense.

Welcome to the forum. I also shoot a 264 WM (in a 24" barrel too) and agree that the 125 gr and 140 gr Partition are a great choice. I was impressed with how the 130 gr Swift Scirocco and 130 gr TSX worked on deer and mountain goat at ranges under 125 yards (as far as I shot game with them). Both killed well without a lot of excessive meat damage, I highly recommend either of them since they are quite tough and can handle 264 WM speeds at close range. RL 25 is an excellent choice in the 264 WM, my gun has done well with Retumbo if you can find it. IMR 7828ssc and Magnum have given decent loads and might be good to look at too. I'm looking forward to trying IMR 7977 and RL 26 soon.

Because of throat erosion in my gun I am starting to use heavy 155 and 156 gr bullets since I can seat them closer to the rifling, hopefully a 156 gr Oryx will meet a black bear this weekend ;)

I know it's not a .26 cal but I shoot a .257 wby mag with 110 accubonds at 3500 fps. I was skeptical with the AccuBond at high speeds close range. So I took some milk jugs lined them up along with couple 2x4s in front to kind of act like a shoulder and stepped back 10ft. Shot and the results were very impressive. Hammered the 2x4's and traveled into 4 milk jugs and put a dent in 5th . It did shed a lot of weight but it was so text perfect looking after that extreme punishment that I knew I would never have doubt with this bullet at close range.

I'm glad I stopped by here...Real world experience...As soon as my Saturdays aren't taken up with turkey hunting, I'll get right on working up some loads with the 125's and 140's and report back.
Thanks again!!

I also have a 264 Win mag and have shot 20+ deer with it using the 130 gr Nosler AccuBond. My rife is a custom Rem 700 with a 27 3/4" Shilen 9" twist barrel. I chose to give the 130 AB a try first for deer hunting because of the 9" twist and to see if the bullet would hold up under close range HIGH IMPACT velocity. I could not ask for a better bullet. I am loading Retumbo powder and using Winchester cases made from 7mm Rem mag cases. I just run them into a full length sizing die and get a perfect 264 Win mag case. I use CCI 250 primers and seat the bullet 20 thousands off the lands. I get 3350 fps with sub MOA accuracy. I have shot deer from as close as 30 yards and as far out as a little over 500 yards. All have been DRT. The bullet reacts the same on matter the yardage. It flies like the Ballistic Tip and starts to open up like it but holds together like the Partition and keeps on trucking. I have only recovered one bullet shot on an angle through front edge of left shoulder and was found against the smashed ball socket of the right ham of a buck at 111 yards. Bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. It don't get much better in my book. You can also find a slower velocity that will shoot accurately with other bullets. Like has been said the Partitions will also work great in your case because you are not shooting loooooog range. As to shoulder destruction. It does not matter what caliber you shoot if you hit shoulders they are usually toast. I always try to either enter a shoulder or exit a shoulder because I don't like to have to crawl around in the jungle and swamp in NC where I usually hunt to try to trail up a deer. When you really get down to real eatable meat there is really not that much on a deer's shoulders anyway. I also live and hunt in the mountains of TN and like you a long shot is 60 yards. I have used the old stand by 30-30 but mostly a 308. In my experience I have found that you need a bullet that will penetrate a deer from any angle because they don't always walk up and stand broadside and you don't have time or room to let them move into a favorable position. The Nosler Partition is one that usually fills the bill. It would be best to slow it down below 3000 fps in the 264 mag but that is easy with your 24" barrel. I have shot a lot of deer with .264 bullets from 6.5x55 and 260 Rem. Any of the old cup and core SP or Ballistic tip bullets work great kept under 3000 fps. 140 gr Sierra or Hornady SPs are great deer bullets in my experience. I helped my buddy do crop damage control for 15 years on a big farm in NC and we took 100 deer each year. We learned a lot about what works and does not work for killing deer. Good luck with your 264 Win mag.

Welcome sir! My lifelong friend down in SE Texas has used his Mod 700 24" .264WM for the past 39 years on deer and hogs. Majority of his shots are way under 100yds. 140 Corlokt factory worked swell. I then loaded him up some Speer 140 HC right at 3000fps. he slaughtered them. When I moved off to Bible College in '87 another friend of ours started loading the 140 Partition. He liked it better than all of them, still uses them! he has made some very long shots in clear cuts and off pipe line right of ways, but mostly they're very close. I used the 125PT and 120BT in a 6.5x284 wildcat ( back in the late '90s) going 3200fps ( 264WM zone!) I shot antelope in Utah over 300yds and Fallow deer and other Texas exotics at 100yds and it was wonderful! Have a ball Pard!

DrMike":1qsobj3v said:
Welcome aboard; glad you found the site and hitched up. Because your shots will be mostly under 200 yards, there is no reason you can't use a Partition. The 125 grain will work just fine. If they are skinny in your area, the 140 grain will serve you equally well. Another option, especially in light of the velocities you will generate, is the 130 grain E-Tip. Of course, one of the excellent AccuBond bullets will work well for you. Nosler has you well covered; any of these bullets will perform well at the distances you will be shooting and at the velocities you will be generating. The 140 grain Ballistic Tip will perform quite well when held to impact velocities below 3100 fps, which would fit your rifle precisely. Consequently, congratulations on picking up a great cartridge in a classic rifle.

I'm with Mike all the way. A 120 ET might be an awesome in the 264 Win. I run the 140 AB and have zero concerns with that bullet crushing an elks front legs, up close or far away. It's a very heavily constructed bullet. If you get a chance, take a look at our bullet test section. Some pretty good pictures to give you an idea of what does what.

I would start with RL25, Retumbo, RL26 or similar. Faster powders might be decent for mid range loads but honestly my 264 really thrived off of upper end loads and shot bug holes and sub MOA out to 600 yards.

I'd probably stay away from the 120 BTs for your hunting conditions. Just about anything else will do well in my opinion.

OK, a friend did a Quickload

264 Win Mag
3.340" Coal
24" bbl

125gr Partition

RL-19 - Max 64gr, 89% case fill, 58,700 psi, 3,150 fps
RL-25 - Max 69gr, 97% case fill, 58,600 psi, 3,200 fps

130gr AB

RL-19 - Max 62gr, 89% case fill, 57,600 psi, 3,080 fps
RL-25 - Max 67gr, 96% case fill, 57,800 psi, 3,130 fps

reduce by 10% and work up

Either of those bullets around 3200 will crush stuff. RL25 would be my choice for them, but I know it's tough to get certain powders sometimes.

Don't be surprised if it takes near max loads of 25 to get better accuracy. It's usually a dog down low then comes alive as near peak pressures are hit.

If you will be strictly closer range, and are not interested in higher velocities, I would load the Hornady 160 RN over 51-54 grains of IMR 4350 (referencing start load from Hodgedon). This will put you in the ballpark of 6.5x55 Swedish performance, and this is a fine bullet for your application. Will neatly ventilate deer or bears without "over performing".

Back