.270 Win 150 Partition

I managed to find RL-26 however them 150 PT,s are so popular you have to rob the delivery truck while there off loading. I have not had any for well over two years now. In the mean time I loaded 150 bt,s, 150 LRAB,s and some 160PT,s all with RL-26. I swiped all my load data from this forum. Certainly some of our members have been so gracious to post stuff from quick load. What a help to those who do not own it. Thank you guys for that. Back to the 150 PT for a bit. I have taken quit a bit of chrony readings with this bullet over the years using mostly IMR-4831. I have been able to reach 2950 with no side effects using IMR-4831. I use old school load data from DuPont that shows 57 grains max with a 150 core lock. I don,t use more than 56 with the 150 PT. Nosler manual number one shows 55 max. Certainly RL-26 data looks impressive and may push the 150 PT north of 2900 easier than some of our old stand by powders. It,s going to fun be to find out that's for sure. I have so much loaded up in .270 after the hoarding and component shortage it will take me three full days to test all the loads I have cooked up. Just need it to cool down dang it. IT is too hot to shoot right now.

200 will arrive in Edna, Tx on wednesday. Can't beat SPS. Now if they'd just get some 160s.

Went out this morning to do a follow up on the 59.0 IMR 7828ssc load with the 150 Partition. I varied the oal a bit shorter and bit longer than the original. The original was at 3.33" and it grouped about 1 3/4" at 2984 fps. I first tried it shorter which is where partitions usually do well, 3.320 and it opened up to almost 2". The second was a tad longer at 3.335. It tightened up a bit to 1.5" and the velocity average was 3042 fps. I don't know if the increased velocity was due to temperature or the bullet being closer to the lands. Still needs some work. I did get some shiny spots on the case heads.

Seems like your gaining on it. Anything over 2900 with the 150 PT in the 270 Win is awesome in my book. Seems like they wanna be a skosh longer. Can't wait to see the final product.

Closer to the lands probably bumped up pressure and speed a little. I'd be trying some more around that length or a little longer if that's possible and maybe reduce charge a smidge.

A 150g NPT at 3000fps and 1.5 moa will do it. Sub moa is nice but one and a half ain't bad!

I'm gonna tinker around that OAL and drop off a 1/2 grain of powder and see what happens.

My old pre 64 mod. 70 FWT. will get me 3000 FPS with a 150 gr. Nosler, ww brass and fed 210 primers with several powders, 60 or 61 grs. of old surplus Milsurp 4831, the stuff Jack O'Connor used. I still have about 40 lbs of that stuff, and it will do it and at mild pressure, I can do the same with RL-22 but at higher pressure with the max load I use..A lot depends on the gun, fast barrels and slow barrels do exist. Its a great round for elk, Moose, etc..

Ray,when I started reloading in 82 the milsurp 4831 was pretty much used up. I went with IMR-4831 back then and still consider it my go to powder. I,ve used it on everything from 130,s to 170 speer bullets. The velocity and accuracy is always there. Not long ago I was shooting a few 150 LRAB,s with H4831. Groups were a mediocre 2 inches or so. Then switched to IMR-4831 and bam. Three shot group one holer. No load changes other than powder.

I got 3050 with R26/150NBT out of my BAR .270. I got 1.6 three shot average. I can live with that, but much prefer tighter groups. I'm still going to start out with R26 behind the 150/160 Partitions and see what happens. I was just overwhelmed with orgasmic-like glee with 60gr H4831/130 NP out of this rifle for 3150fps into .60"!!! Sheboygin! :!: :shock: :eek: :) :grin: (y)

3150 at .6 with the 130 PT is great. nice job. I have shot up enough 150 BT,s to say one thing. THERE ACCURATE. As far as those 160,s go that's still work in progress for me. I have already shot up a whole box in two rifles. Both guns shot slightly under one inch right from the get go. The only powder I have used is IMR-4831. HOWEVER,because I have a serious case of reloader disease I also have already loaded up more with RL-26, RL-22 and IMR-7828. Some might say why are ya doing that when you already have suitable loads. The answer is. Because I can and I want to. OH ya and I also have a bunch 150 LRAB,s ready to go too,with three different powders. None of this is my fault either. The best thing is there is no cure for reloader disease. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I say "Amen to that" Brother Hub! lol I am afflicted with the same disease and I love it! (y) When I went to South Africa back in '96, my Afrikaner friend asked why we Americans always talk about our ammo, i.e. handloads/bullets,etc. I said it was because we love to hunt but our seasons are so short! Here in Utah one is lucky to get a hunt for 9 days, get a permit for a Private Ranch and its only 5 days! But, we can shoot all year...and many of us do.

I went out this morning with several loads to try and got a keeper. I backed off the 7828 by one half grain to 58.5 grains and used a comparator length of 2.805 or 3.335-3.340 OAL. The 150 partitions vary length a little. It shot pretty darn good. I didn't chrono them but 59grs did 3050fps I figure the 58.5 is still around 3000. I'll load up a bunch to wring the load out for consistantcy.

150_Partition_58_5_IMR_ssc1.jpg

This could be my black bear load. Now I'm gonna start in earnest on the 160s. I also shot the start of a really good group with 7828 ssc with that 130 but for some reason the third round wouldn't chamber. The first two were 1/2".

Bruce Mc":2regey59 said:
The 150 Partition is a salty pill. At 3000 fps I think it'll do anything in north america.

Definitely underrated as a "do all" bullet. I've always felt that way about the 150 grain PT in the .280 Rem. So similar they could be twins.

Back