.270 Win 150 Partition

Yeah. That's a beautiful rifle right there. 2900 with a 150 would be poison Jim. Plus I'm betting it would still be an easy shooting load in that rifle. Great wood on that baby!

I just ordered ( from several sources online) some 130PT factory blems, 140 Ballistic tips/140 Accubonds and 150 ballistic tip/150 partitions, non blems. Using Win brass. I'm good to go, just need to put my spare 3x9 on it for load workup. I will hunt with it and a VXII 2x7. I like a wide field for woods/mountains. This rifle already has a Timney trigger and has been bedded/free floated. Just need some cotton picking time to go shoot, ha. My initial impulse for this rifle is to shoot it, see how it does. If it doesn't suit me, I will have it rebarreled to a 26" Shilen #2 in .280 Ackley...maybe... (y)

I seem to remember an article by Ross Seyfried, 1980's probably, in which he opined that the .270 with a 150 at 3,000 fps was essentially a beltless magnum.

He was very impressed with that combination. I don't remember all that much of the article, from 25+ years ago, but I do remember thinking it over, with his trajectory & velocity figures, and thinking that he made a very good point.

FWIW, Guy

I read the same article Uncle Guy! ha He really had good things to say about that 150PT. I don't remember the details but he said he watched his dad kill a bull with that load. I don't remember the rifle he said his dad used and how long the barrel was. I'm guessing it was an older Mod 70 and a 24" barrel. I can't shoot a light rifle like this one very well past 300 anyhow so I'm thinking 2900+ with a 150 or 3000 with that 140AB would be fine.
I had my Marine SIL a .270 made up for his return from his first tour in Iraq ( he also got a Mauser 98 35 Whelen AI at same time..I am a great father in law! (y) ) It was just a reblued Mod 700 BDL but I had found a nice marble cake English walnut stock and had it checkered for him, some engraving on the receiver ( his name, rank, tour date) I used R22/140AB for a good load for him but never got around to clocking it. Its really too pretty too hunt with, ha.

Preacher that is s very nice looking 270win. No matter what load you decide on :wink: it has always been one of my favourite calibres and I am sure you will get it shooting exactly like you want it too (y).
Great thread!!

Blessings,
Dan

My .270 shoots 150gr. Partitions extremely well. It's a 700 BDL and I use 59 grains of Hodgdon H4831sc, Nosler brass, and CCI large rifle primers. It's my favorite .270 load for deer.

Welcome aboard, Bandit3; always good to welcome fellow shooters and hand loaders. Sounds as if you found a fine load. Have you measured velocity with your load? What sort of accuracy are you seeing with that load?

I've never checked the speed but it makes a pretty clover leaf at 100 yds and at 200 when I'm shooting good. It stomped a big South Dakota muley at 275 yds in 2009.

bandit3":tu2ljhg0 said:
I've never checked the speed but it makes a pretty clover leaf at 100 yds and at 200 when I'm shooting good. It stomped a big South Dakota muley at 275 yds in 2009.

That's a pretty strong recommendation, I'd say.

I am going to try out the 140 grain, Partition again. It has been a few years since I shot them but they were very accurate in my old Model 70. I know that I can get them flying at 3000 fps and they have been really accurate in my .270 Win.

bandit3":22j5xn32 said:
My .270 shoots 150gr. Partitions extremely well. It's a 700 BDL and I use 59 grains of Hodgdon H4831sc, Nosler brass, and CCI large rifle primers. It's my favorite .270 load for deer.
I use that exact load. Down here H4831SC is called AR2213SC.

Earlier lots of this powder produced between 2900 and 3000fps, lot to lot. Most recently the same powder in different lots are struggling to go much above 2800fps with 59g.

While I am tempted to push higher, the accuracy is still good so I've stuck with the load.

Strange though. The powder seems to be being made slower of late.

Accuracy is always to be preferred to velocity. I have quite a few cartridges that don't move at top velocity, but they kill quite nicely nevertheless.

Everyone has lawyered up now, it hard to find a load that will even equal what I was shooting 10 years ago? For a while, I thought my rifles were getting old, like me, but it is the times. Lawyers don't like shooting as an avocation?

My load is 56.5 gr. H4831 Win primers out of a 24" barrel. Im getting 2850 fps. I would like more speed but it shoots under MOA and kills quite effectively.

Thanks guys, I am a bonafide "addict" to Mod 700 Mountain rifles! I had a great one in 30-06 just recently, but I wanted just a tad heavier rifle in the 30-06 ( my Sako AV!), just for accuracy reasons. I gave my last .270 Mountain rifle away back in the late '90s to a good friends son, and he has been whacking/stacking Texas whitetails ever since, ha.
I decided to go ahead and just put the Leupold VX-2 2x7 on this rifle and be done with it. I like the little Mountain rifles as "hunting" rifles and in truth, if I can get them to shoot anywhere from 3 to 5 cold barrel shots into a consistent 1.5" to 2" I am super happy! I have never been able to shoot them any better even with higher power scopes, and the wider field of view works with my way of hunting. Over 20 yrs ago I played with a Leupold "Compact" 3x9 on a Mountain rifle in .280AI. It was OK but it sure was dark at dusk/dawn and the eye relief box was small. I also could not see any advantage of the 2.5x8 VX-3 over a VX-2 2x7 on a Mountain Rifle, though I have done it. I have my spare 3x9 (Burris Fullfield II) on my Ruger Hawkeye all Weather 77 in .338 Fed now, for load workup. I normally have a Bushnell Elite 2x7 on it ( Rainguard works great) I'm not done working with it now and don't want to mess with it.

A 2x-7x Leupold would be an excellent glass for a mountain rifle. I put a 6x Leupold on my .270 featherweight and it handles and shoots nice. I'm working on a 150 Partition load for my .270 win and looking for some 160s too. I'd be pleased to squeeze 3000 fps out of the 22" barrel but I'd be satisfied with 2950 fps. as long at it shoots small groups. I'm working with Reloder 22 and IMR 7828ssc for a start. That's as nice a looking model 700 as I've seen short of one from their custom shop. Beautiful!

I guess it depends on which mountains? I have always preferred a quality 3.5-10x42 scope for hunting deer in the Rocky Mountains? Just differences of region, I guess? I have killed deer to 425 yards with one shot in Utah with a 10x scope and a .270 Win.

I like to be able to evaluate antlers, especially when two or three bucks are standing together in the oak brush at 300+ yards?

Back