270 WSM, 338 WM & E Tips

One would think! but I have two different loads that shot under half inch at 100 yards and then were all over the place at 200. Both with different bullets and different powders. So I think I'm going to clean the living crap out of it and do some more load testing at 200 yards instead of 100 yards and see what happens. If I can get a load to shoot good beyond 200 then I really don't care if it shoots an inch a 100. If it stays under .75-1 MOA out to five or six hundred I'm happy.

jmad_81":v9wq444q said:
Welll I had one of the best mornings I have had in a long time with shooting that group yesterday to one of the worst this morning. I shot that same load at 200 yards today and it was eight inches with six shots :x This is not the first load that has done this to me I have a load with 130 ABs that did it to me as well. shot half inch at 100 and all over at 200.

I bumped up a half grain and shot three with the same COAL and it was 2" at 200. So I'm going to play arounf with that tonight and tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Anybody got any ideas as to what will cause great groups at 100 and really, really bad ones at 200 with the same load?

Make sure everything is tight, Rings, mounts, action screws.....
What kind of scope are you shooting? Did you adjust for parallax?
Shooting bench solid? What about front and rear rest/bags?
Breath control and shooting form can also play a part.

Try this- once you are settled into the rifle and scope and have everything lined up on the target, relax. Close your eyes for a few seconds and then open up your eyes and see where the cross hairs are. That is were you would be hitting with a perfectly zeroed rifle.

Readjust and do it again until the cross hairs are exactly where they need to be.
This will help you shoot better groups. :wink:

JD338

Back